Why are BTECs in Health and Social Care looked down upon?

Watch
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by InvisibleFootprint)
Yeah, I think it is because it has BTEC attached to it although you can get into university with it. I think also it's because higher qualifications exist like A-levels.
How are A levels higher qualifications, they are the same level

Also the emplyability statistics for BTEC vs A level at both graduate and non graduate level favour BTEC

A levels do nothing for you bar getting you a place at uni, useless in the real world

Get your facts straight before posting rubbish like this
yt7777
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SteveyK)
It's not that fact it's Health and Social Care, it's the fact it's a BTEC.
In general BTEC's are looked down upon because they are seen as 'easy' and not as 'hard' as A-levels.
I'm doing a BTEC in IT (I wasn't actually informed about it's low-status when applying for Uni's when I chose it) and barely any Uni's accept it... It's so annoying.
So many unis accept the BTEC in IT, its probably the most respected BTEC and much better than Computing A level

Im a second year Computer Science student at a top 20 university, did the BTEC Level 3 Extended in IT
yt7777
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by FinalMH)
Wait? WHAT? What university accepts BTEC for medicine please enlighten me?
Plymouth, Keele, Bradford and UEA
yt7777
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DeathByBSOD)
Lol, Ikr,

Typical discussion about BTECs in the top sets of a school:

Teacher: Hurry up do the work, i don't want you to fail **** this year
Bored Student: Ok.. Ok..
Teacher: If you dont get an A/A* in **** your gonna end up with no AS levels next year.
Interrupting smart student: Your gonna do Leisure and Tourism next year!
Teacher: More like level 1 vocational
[WHOLE CLASS LAUGHS]
Bored Student: [FEELING EMBARRASSED]
Little do these 'top' students know that when they get into the real world and start working they will most likely to be put through vocational qualifications for their job...

Here are the statistics for emplyment between BTEC and A level leavers:

No degree, in a professional or managerial job:

BTEC: 80%
A level: 73%

Graduates:

BTEC + Degree: 49%
A level + Degree: 45%

Also there are a significant amount of BTEC leavers working in top fields like Finance, Engineering and Technology due to the practical, vocational focus of the qualification, i personally believe that taking a BTEC at sixth form automatically sets students on a pathway which will eventially lead to either further study in that one particular area that they are already trained in or actually working in the industry that they have chosen, as I have previously said on this thread, i did an IT BTEC and im now in my second year of my Computer Science degree at a top 20 uni, hoping to do an MSci in Information Security or Software Engineering, I would never have got here if it hadnt have been for taking the vocational route early on in my education, and i know so many people who did A levels who yes are very intelligent and are studying in strong academic areas but doing degrees with no direct career path, some of them i know are really panicing about graduating becaus ethey have no idea what to do and im sure these people would have been like the 'top' students you described, but in reality whos in a better position?
tinkerbelle2
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I really wish Health and Social Care didn't have this bad rep, it makes me feel embarrassed to tell people what I studied. It's not all as easy as people think, some of the placements I did were quite intense and full on, like when I shadowed mental health nurses and visited people who were suicidial and things like that. I wish people weren't so stuck up and snobby about what they studied. I did AS levels and got average grades but decided I wasn't happy doing 4 random subjects I wasn't sure about and thought a BTEC would be a better way to get me into work / uni in a sector I was genuinely interested in (which it did). Whether someone has got A-levels, a BTEC, a degree or even just GCSE's, you shouldn't just dismiss people as if that's all they are. People work to their own individual ability, with the right help and support. Everybody has something to offer and nobody is better than anyone else. But yeah that was just a general rant not directed to anyone in particular...
Hibah786
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Did you become a doctor
Hibah786
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
did you become a doctor?
ArifaaaH
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
ive got no gcses and am starting level 2 h
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (53)
21.63%
No (192)
78.37%

Watched Threads