The Student Room Group

Why are BTECs in Health and Social Care looked down upon?

I don't really understand why to be honest. I did a BTEC when I was 18 years old because I had no other option but I still managed to secure a place at a university that would give me the University of London title.

There are so many BTECs but why is Health and Social Care downgraded by people? :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Probably because it has 'BTEC' attached to it.
Yeah, I think it is because it has BTEC attached to it although you can get into university with it. I think also it's because higher qualifications exist like A-levels.
Reply 3
It's not just because it's a BTEC, Health and Social Care is considered the easiest BTEC you can do in college.

I did BTEC and I'm on my way to medicine... there's nothing wrong with it :s
I don't necessarily think it's because it's a BTEC, I did Health and Social Care but it was a different qualification, I think the subject is looked down upon in general sadly.
There's nothing wrong with BTECs. BTEC level 3's are equivalent to A Levels so you can't really say that A Levels are a higher qualification, they're just more theoretical academic-wise. BTECS are alot more practical, which is why they're in practical subjects like art and health and childcare and music etc. And BTEC higher national diplomas are equivalent to the first year of an undergraduate degree.

I'm doing a BTEC in Media production, and alot in my college see Health and Social as being an "easier" subject because alot of the ones who failed their GCSEs either pick Health and Social or Beauty Therapy or something. But those students always start out on level 2 and progress to level 3. I know a girl who did a level 3 health and social and some of the stuff she had to learn was damn hard. I couldn't do it. It just depends on how you look at it really.
Original post by katyness
It's not just because it's a BTEC, Health and Social Care is considered the easiest BTEC you can do in college.

assuming you did a levels though?
Reply 7
It's not that fact it's Health and Social Care, it's the fact it's a BTEC.
In general BTEC's are looked down upon because they are seen as 'easy' and not as 'hard' as A-levels.
I'm doing a BTEC in IT (I wasn't actually informed about it's low-status when applying for Uni's when I chose it) and barely any Uni's accept it... It's so annoying.
Reply 8
you can go to uni after doing a BTEC course right?
ATM im doing a CACHE Level 3 diploma in child care & education and I am not sure if i can go to uni to do primary ed.
Depending on the course you want to do, it's not. I'm doing Midwifery and there are quite a few people in my class who got in with Health and Social Care BTEC... doing better on the course too, as they've been exposed to the type of work we have to do, so they have a bit of a head start.
Original post by SteveyK
I'm doing a BTEC in IT (I wasn't actually informed about it's low-status when applying for Uni's when I chose it) and barely any Uni's accept it.

I find that hard to believe, i know several people who've progressed from BTEC IT courses to university in the last year alone. They've done alot to even out the scale in regards to progression from BTEC to undergraduate in the last few years :/
Reply 11
Original post by ClaireeRoisin
I find that hard to believe, i know several people who've progressed from BTEC IT courses to university in the last year alone. They've done alot to even out the scale in regards to progression from BTEC to undergraduate in the last few years :/

The only universities (and I've not seen that many) who will accept it, ask you to have a Distinction in it, or it's got to be combined with 2/3 'hard' subjects. I suppose it depends on what kind of University your talking about as well though, I've only been looking at 'red-brick' uni's:smile::frown:
Reply 12
Original post by rugbyladosc
assuming you did a levels though?

I did BTEC National Diploma in Applied Science and A-level Maths

Lol, Ikr,

Typical discussion about BTECs in the top sets of a school:

Teacher: Hurry up do the work, i don't want you to fail **** this year
Bored Student: Ok.. Ok..
Teacher: If you dont get an A/A* in **** your gonna end up with no AS levels next year.
Interrupting smart student: Your gonna do Leisure and Tourism next year!
Teacher: More like level 1 vocational
[WHOLE CLASS LAUGHS]
Bored Student: [FEELING EMBARRASSED]
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by DeathByBSOD
Lol, Ikr,

Typical discussion about BTECs in the top sets of a school:

Teacher: Hurry up do the work, i don't want you to fail **** this year
Bored Student: Ok.. Ok..
Teacher: If you dont pass **** your gonna end up with no AS levels next year.
Interrupting smarty student: Your gonna do Leisure and Tourism next year!
Teacher: More like level 1 vocational
[WHOLE CLASS LAUGHS]
Bored Student: [FEELING EMBARRASSED]

It's what you do with it. If you do BTEC and then just sit on your arse hoping that someone will do something for you, it won't work. You need to get out there and get the best out of it. Sell yourself with the personal statement because if you don't show you want it, they won't take you.

So I'm sorry to all of those with BTEC that didn't get a place and are blaming the university... it also has to do with how you came across. Remember, not all A-level students get places as well.
Reply 15

Wait? WHAT? What university accepts BTEC for medicine please enlighten me?
Reply 16
Original post by FinalMH
Wait? WHAT? What university accepts BTEC for medicine please enlighten me?

I got in through foundation to medicine.
Reply 17
I did BTEC National Diploma in Applied Science and A-level Maths

The A level in Maths probably helped you a lot.

What grade did you achieve in your BTEC?

-Shame my College only does BTECs
Reply 18
Original post by ryansboro
The A level in Maths probably helped you a lot.

What grade did you achieve in your BTEC?

-Shame my College only does BTECs

Hmm.. yeah, probably. I got DDD
Where do they take btec's

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending