This discussion is closed.
twinkledust
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Today at school my teacher told me that it's good to read books related to the course at uni that you wanna do. Is this true? and what's good for medicine?
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by twinkledust)
Today at school my teacher told me that it's good to read books related to the course at uni that you wanna do. Is this true? and what's good for medicine?

Unis generally like it if you show an interest outside of your school courses. For medicine I'd say work experience is the most important, though - they want you to show real commitment. A couple of medics at my school read a few popular science books and got some medical journals too, though. Can't remember what exactly the journals were - I think the BMJ might have been one?
Trousers
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by twinkledust)
For any course, reading around the subject will help to give you an overall understanding of it. This will help you to think in the right kind of way, and might make the subject more interesting and easier to understand in the long run.

You'll get a reading list of suggested books when you start your course, and it's best if you get as many of these as possible out of the library or 2nd-hand bookshop as soon as you can. If you leave it too long, they'll have disappeared.

Before then, just take a look in bookshops and libraries and get hold of anything that looks interesting. Also, follow the news for interesting medicine-related stories and read up on them. You'll soon develop a thirst for the subject and will sound more impressive in uni interviews. You might find that it also helps you to decide which modules or research projects you want to do.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (0)
0%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (7)
63.64%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (2)
18.18%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (1)
9.09%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (1)
9.09%

Watched Threads