Good grades/application but still getting rejections?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Econ
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hey,

My applications didn't go fantastically. 3 offers and 3 rejections. I achieved straight A's at AS and was predicted AAA for A'level. Kinda expected to do a little better. Anyone else feeling a bit hard done by or had rejections they didn't expect? Any rejections from good universities despite a good application and grades?

*Oxford (AAA) (Rejection after interview in two colleges)
*Bath (AAB) - Rejection
*York (ABB)- Rejection

All for Economics. (E&M at Oxford)
acisejica
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Econ)
Hey,

My applications didn't go fantastically. 3 offers and 3 rejections. I achieved straight A's at AS and was predicted AAA for A'level. Kinda expected to do a little better. Anyone else feeling a bit hard done by or had rejections they didn't expect? Any rejections from good universities despite a good application and grades?

*Bath (AAB) - Rejection
*York (ABB)- Rejection

what places hav u got offers from??
Missmoneypenny
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Econ)
Hey,

*Bath (AAB) - Rejection
*York (ABB)- Rejection

yeah same a2 predictions loads of work exp, loads of out of school stuff inc sport and leadership things, err...read the recommended books, brilliant personal statement, and got rejected by 2 unis for law. Its just sooo incredibly competitive that 3A's doesnt count for much.
xx
acisejica
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Missmoneypenny)
yeah same a2 predictions loads of work exp, loads of out of school stuff inc sport and leadership things, err...read the recommended books, brilliant personal statement, and got rejected by 2 unis for law. Its just sooo incredibly competitive that 3A's doesnt count for much.
xx
2/6 isnt bad though is it? I've been rejectd by cam so far for law, waitin for notts though will probably also be a rejection. Ending up with 4 offers to read law would make me very happy
Econ
Rep:
?
(Original post by acisejica)
what places hav u got offers from??
Manchester, St Andrews and Lancaster
acisejica
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Econ)
Manchester, St Andrews and Lancaster
they're all v gd unis tho! (spesh manc and st.ands i've heard...)
i've got manc
babyboo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Econ)
Hey,

*Bath (AAB) - Rejection
*York (ABB)- Rejection

i got rejected for economics at bath n york as well, with similar grades as u...i also got rejected from lse. i feel the same as u im off to st andrews now thou which was my 2nd choice after lse.
BeNcHoD
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Econ)
Hey,

*Bath (AAB) - Rejection
*York (ABB)- Rejection

its probably coz ur section10 iz ****
babyboo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by BeNcHoD)
:mad: grrrrr u annoy me sooooooooo much! i doubt that very much!
Econ
Rep:
?
(Original post by BeNcHoD)
Rather uneducated accusation

Not in my opinion. Loads of work experience. Plenty of school participation in things like Young Enterprise and Bully Watch. Played tennis and football at county level - Play guitar in two bands. On top of that took 3 months off school at the start of A'levels which combined with the long summer holidays i used for independent travel around the States and Australia for 6 months. Also feel it was written well when compared to many of my friends who have achieved some good offers.
marabara
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
too many people are getting all As now, so looks like the problem is spreading beyond Oxbridge
babyboo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Econ)
Rather uneducated accusation

Not in my opinion. Loads of work experience. Plenty of school participation in things like Young Enterprise and Bully Watch. Played tennis and football at county level - Play guitar in two bands. On top of that took 3 months off school at the start of A'levels which combined with the long summer holidays i used for independent travel around the States and Australia for 6 months. Also feel it was written well when compared to many of my friends who have achieved some good offers.
where dya reckon u will go?! go st andrews wit me!! hahaha only spankin but i guess its outta manc or st a's?! what are both of those offers
Sunnyt
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by marabara)
too many people are getting all As now, so looks like the problem is spreading beyond Oxbridge
i got all A'S AT GCSE AND AAAA AT A LEVEL AND a HND in forensic science law and psychology 7 distinctions and 6 merits alot higher then most people i got rejected at brum uni for law but accepted at manc notts warwick oxford, leicester
Econ
Rep:
?
(Original post by babyboo)
where dya reckon u will go?! go st andrews wit me!! hahaha only spankin but i guess its outta manc or st a's?! what are both of those offers
Yeah, haven't decided between Manchester or St Andrews. Both ABB offers. The 4 year thing in St Andrews is putting me off even though it has a better reputation (more established) and would perhaps be a nicer place to live if you're not a non-stop party person.
marabara
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sunnyt)
i got all A'S AT GCSE AND AAAA AT A LEVEL AND a HND in forensic science law and psychology 7 distinctions and 6 merits alot higher then most people i got rejected at brum uni for law but accepted at manc notts warwick oxford, leicester
you can only judge people by the exams they take, not the ones they don't take - if you're at private school, you often have an 'advantage' in that you can take more exams
Sunnyt
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Econ)
Yeah, haven't decided between Manchester or St Andrews. Both ABB offers. The 4 year thing in St Andrews is putting me off even though it has a better reputation (more established) and would perhaps be a nicer place to live if you're not a non-stop party person.
did u know that manchester is a really good established uni too?
but its linkin with UMIST WHICH IS A LOWER UNI
Sunnyt
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by marabara)
you can only judge people by the exams they take, not the ones they don't take - if you're at private school, you often have an 'advantage' in that you can take more exams

YEP but i went to the shitest school in cov, mine is one of the worst ones LYNG HALL! however does it not show my ability and clearly results show itoo, am not bothered bout brum but it still wud have been nice to be accepted, never mind
Econ
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sunnyt)
did u know that manchester is a really good established uni too?
but its linkin with UMIST WHICH IS A LOWER UNI
Do you think the merger will lower its rating and damage its reputation and value as a university with employers?
Sunnyt
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Econ)
Do you think the merger will lower its rating and damage its reputation and value as a university with employers?

yes i know that but it still is a good uni, it will take more time to get it back in the top 15 officials say it will be round number 19 or 20
babyboo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yeah mines abb too! 4yrs is a bit of a hefty course but its such a lovely place! just a lil bit cold!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (147)
24.71%
Better than expected (129)
21.68%
Worse than expected (319)
53.61%

Watched Threads