Good grades/application but still getting rejections?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
iiikewldude
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
its pretty wierd, some people with amazing applications seem to be getting rejected from loads of places whilst others with relatively crap applications are getting in. It doesn't really seem to make any sense.

I got AAAAA at Scottish Highers and am Predicted AA and A/B this year.
I've got an uncondtional place at Edinburgh to read law and a condtional of BBB at Reading. I also got rejected by Oxford but don't feel hard done by for that at all

I'm still waiting for Durham, LSE and Machester, most people seem to have heard from these places and I've got a feeling I'm very borderline or am going to be rejected from all these places.
rah
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sunnyt)
did u know that manchester is a really good established uni too?
but its linkin with UMIST WHICH IS A LOWER UNI
er...no, UMIST is more credible than manchester for it's specific subjects, the imperial of the north really
Sunnyt
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by iiikewldude)
its pretty wierd, some people with amazing applications seem to be getting rejected from loads of places whilst others with relatively crap applications are getting in. It doesn't really seem to make any sense.

I got AAAAA at Scottish Highers and am Predicted AA and A/B this year.
I've got an uncondtional place at Edinburgh to read law and a condtional of BBB at Reading. I also got rejected by Oxford but don't feel hard done by for that at all

I'm still waiting for Durham, LSE and Machester, most people seem to have heard from these places and I've got a feeling I'm very borderline or am going to be rejected from all these places.
i didnt even get interviewed at oxford was surp with thier offer
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by rah)
er...no, UMIST is more credible than manchester for it's specific subjects, the imperial of the north really
This is why the merger will be a great success. I predict a drop in the first few years but I think that as soon as the teething period is over, we will see one of the great northern uni's emerge even stronger. Can't see it affecting its employability with UMIST being ranked 2nd for employment and UofM being voted to produce the most employable graduates!!!
Econ
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by rah)
Hmm....this merger thing is quite interesting - haven't really thought much about it yet as never expected to have consider my 4th and 5th choice uni.
Rhianneth
Report 16 years ago
Yeah I was shocked by the competition of people for law, thats the main reason for all the rejections tho cos they have so many good people to choose from, they're not too bothered if they pass people by (the pain!) I got AAABB AS (now AAAAB cos of novemeber resit) n predicted AAAA A2s (also takin crit thinkin - whyy?!) It's annoying that people can consider A's standard but they are more common now dammit!

Ive got offers from Birmingham (AAB), Cardiff (AAB) and Bristol (ABB for another course). Rejected from Warwick and Cambridge (glad i hadnt set my heart on them!) I took the law test at Notts in half term so im waiting for their rejection now!!

Thing is, the brightest people don't necessarily make the best judges, lawyers, solicitors etc. I expect many of todays judges couldnt pass the kind of law admissions tests we're expected to take (i read it in an article in the Times!) I think uni offers/rejections are fate n if u dont get an offer - you were obviously just not right there. Thats what i think anyways, especially with Cam, it wasnt the uni lifestyle i wanted
serendipity
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Econ)
Hey,

My applications didn't go fantastically. 3 offers and 3 rejections. I achieved straight A's at AS and was predicted AAA for A'level. Kinda expected to do a little better. Anyone else feeling a bit hard done by or had rejections they didn't expect? Any rejections from good universities despite a good application and grades?

*Oxford (AAA) (Rejection after interview in two colleges)
*Bath (AAB) - Rejection
*York (ABB)- Rejection

All for Economics. (E&M at Oxford)
Yeah, Predicted AAAA at A2 level, all the usual stuff that's meant to get you into uni, such as charity stuff, work exp, you name it. Rejected from 1st two choices, Nottingham and Warwick, without so much as an interview. That's life, i guess. :rolleyes: And yes, I am bitter!!
byakugan_neji
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It's probably because so many people get straight As these days so they look for other qualities other than being able to get As. I work so damn hard and I only got ACCC for my AS Levels but I still have offers from UCL so far.
Wal
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by byakugan_neji)
It's probably because so many people get straight As these days so they look for other qualities other than being able to get As. I work so damn hard and I only got ACCC for my AS Levels but I still have offers from UCL so far.
Which qualities are you refering to?
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by acisejica)
they're all v gd unis tho! (spesh manc and st.ands i've heard...)
i've got manc
Lancaster is statistically better than Manchester.
young_free
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sunnyt)
i got all A'S AT GCSE AND AAAA AT A LEVEL AND a HND in forensic science law and psychology 7 distinctions and 6 merits alot higher then most people i got rejected at brum uni for law but accepted at manc notts warwick oxford, leicester

How old are you sunny?
Id love to be able to take a year or two and earn more qualifications.
Sunnyt
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by young_free)
How old are you sunny?
Id love to be able to take a year or two and earn more qualifications.

Mysticmin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeah there are lots of straight A grade students these days. I imagine instead admissions tutors have to look to personal references by teachers (and teachers can quote UMS scores here!!! so there may be some distinction between A grades).

Personal statement and how well it reads should be taken into account, and also the A-level subjects and their suitability for the course/difficulty. Latter is harsh, i know, but many universities are still biased against less traditional A-levels.

In fact, i swear getting into universities seems to be a bit of a lottery this year..bar oxbridge, obviously these people performed superior in their interviews regardless of grades.
currency_westlake
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Econ)
Hey,

My applications didn't go fantastically. 3 offers and 3 rejections. I achieved straight A's at AS and was predicted AAA for A'level. Kinda expected to do a little better. Anyone else feeling a bit hard done by or had rejections they didn't expect? Any rejections from good universities despite a good application and grades?

*Oxford (AAA) (Rejection after interview in two colleges)
*Bath (AAB) - Rejection
*York (ABB)- Rejection

All for Economics. (E&M at Oxford)
Well, I was rejected by York with good grades that went beyond what was required... I know it's really dissapointing, I'm still waiting for decisions from my other two first choices (LSE?Warwick). Although, if it's any consolation, when I phoned York they said that almost every course had been over subscribed more than ever.... And he made it clear that about half of their rejections they feel really bad about, because they know that the applicant would do well at their uni, but simply just can't accept too many people...

Best of luck anyway,

Tom
RoyFester
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Econ)
Rather uneducated accusation

Not in my opinion. Loads of work experience. Plenty of school participation in things like Young Enterprise and Bully Watch. Played tennis and football at county level - Play guitar in two bands. On top of that took 3 months off school at the start of A'levels which combined with the long summer holidays i used for independent travel around the States and Australia for 6 months. Also feel it was written well when compared to many of my friends who have achieved some good offers.
But did you show a genuine interest in your course though? That's what they look for the most there. And was your reference anygood ?
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Threads like this upset me quite a bit coz' so many people with good grades get rejected. Ah well.. at least you can be consoled that no matter which uni you're at, as long as you maintain your academic ethics, you will probably do very well so don't fret. You may forget all about this when you're actually at uni.

Take care xoxo
ct123
Report 16 years ago
hey, im an international student, living in spain, but i do the IB not a levels... i was wonderin whether that made any difference in deciding to offer or not??
i applied to bath, warwick, nottingham, LSE, oxford and UCL all 4 economics... got an offer from UCL, bath and nott, but rejected from oxford after an interview n also LSE...
i also had really good predicted grades (44/45 with 7's in everything except maths which was a 6)... i read something in the times that said an A at a level was the same as getting a 6 in the IB, higher level subjects anyways...
anyone else heard from LSE???? or offered 4 UCL?
Ladyluck
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by marabara)
too many people are getting all As now, so looks like the problem is spreading beyond Oxbridge
Yeah totally - thats why the new govt proposal for a diploma will be good. The highest grades will be standardised so only the top of the top will get them, so it goes beyone what an A is now
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by byakugan_neji)
lol well accc is not the best grades and you still got offer from ucl you should be very happy
Sunnyt
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
lol well accc is not the best grades and you still got offer from ucl you should be very happy

i got a higher national diploma in forensic science, law n psychology!, it is really good but realllllll HARD! its good in the sense that its academic as well as vocational there a levels r just academic, thats one thing oxford were really impressed! i already have 3 mini pupilages lined up for over the summer! ur supose to be lucky if u get 3 in ur final year!!!! i havnt even started yet!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (230)
39.12%
Take autumn exams (175)
29.76%
Look for a job (20)
3.4%
Consider an apprenticeship (23)
3.91%
Take a year out (105)
17.86%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (35)
5.95%

Watched Threads