Help - Prestige or Course?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
vavavoom
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
This is the problem i've had for awhile and I was wondering if you guys could help....

I had my heart set on Nottingham for Psychology. Great course and scholarship.

However my college guidance counsellor who is retiring this year desperately wants me to go to St. Andrews. He says I should 'prestige value' and that the university has more tradition. He said that name-value is more important than the course for an undergraduate degree. He has been bugging me a lot...('you can wear a red gown!!' etc...)

Personally I sort of think he doesn't know what he's talking about because he's never even been to Nottingham. However, I think I would also be happy in St. Andrews because of the history it has. He's been at the job for 30 years so I find it hard to completely ignore his decision.

What do you guys think? I really want a British view of this as i'm an international student.
acisejica
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by vavavoom)
This is the problem i've had for awhile and I was wondering if you guys could help....

However my college guidance counsellor who is retiring this year desperately wants me to go to St. Andrews. He says I should 'prestige value' and that the university has more tradition. He said that name-value is more important than the course for an undergraduate degree. He has been bugging me a lot...('you can wear a red gown!!' etc...)

Personally I sort of think he doesn't know what he's talking about because he's never even been to Nottingham. However, I think I would also be happy in St. Andrews because of the history it has. He's been at the job for 30 years so I find it hard to completely ignore his decision.

What do you guys think? I really want a British view of this as i'm an international student.
nottingham has the presige and the course so I don't se there beng any contest. You want to go to Nottingham, it really has nothing to do with him! The fact he's never visited Nottingham also means he is biased and you should follow through with your original plan
vavavoom
Rep:
?
(Original post by acisejica)
nottingham has the presige and the course so I don't se there beng any contest. You want to go to Nottingham, it really has nothing to do with him! The fact he's never visited Nottingham also means he is biased and you should follow through with your original plan
Heheehe thanx!! I just want to know i'm making the right decision
vavavoom
Rep:
?
Thanks!! Really wanted to know i'm making the right decision. Noone in my school goes to British Universties so I need as much advice as I can get
acisejica
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Heheehe thanx!! I just want to know i'm making the right decision
o yeah and ur dead lucky if uv actually got an offer from nott - vvvv competitive! so yeh in my opinion ur def makin the right choice
babylon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
st andrews is no way better than nott.....its crap, not even top 10.........ok...its not crap, its good but not good enough!
emma_
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I would say that Nottingham is far better than St Andrews, so it's luckey you prefer it!

Even if it wasn't better, i'm a firm believer of going to the university and course you prefer, not to where you think other people think you should be going.

I hope you have a fantasic time at Nottingham.

O and well done for getting in, loads and loads of people were rejected from there this year.

Fishcat
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Nottingham places are like goldust.
I'd definately go there, its the best in the country (and there are plenty of ppl like me who would happily put frogs in boxes for 8 years to get accepted).
If you decide against Nottingham, could i please steal your persona and go in your place?
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I would prefer St.Andrews.
aliel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
I would prefer St.Andrews.
I think I would too. I wasn't taken by Nottingham University, spent three days there when I was there in Lower Sixth on a Law Workshop course. But I tend to make my decisions rather irrationally.
emom100
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Nottingham was my insurance and seemed to be a lovely campus
Thirty-Nine
Report 16 years ago
St. Andrews and the other traditional universities tend to have a greater reputation overseas than more deserving ones. This is probably how your tutor is making his decision. You need to be bear in mind where you want to get a job afterwards, if prestige is a big concern.

Meanwhile, I’ll throw some facts on the matter, sourced from the The Times Good University Guide (but not limited to this publication):

St. Andrews has slightly better research, both overall and for Psychology.
St. Andrews just takes the edge in overall teaching quality.
Both Psychology courses achieve the highest possible teaching quality score.
Nottingham enjoys a better employment record, both overall and for Psychology.
People studying Psychology at Nottingham did notably better on their A-Levels.
There are more applications to places at Nottingham, though the difference is not huge.
St. Andrews has less students from state sector schools, but the universities have similiar amounts of students from working class homes.

In other words, there isn't that much between them. My recommendation is that you scrutinise the university website for course details. I find module lists give a good idea of what to expect. Also, the Nottingham campus and St. Andrews 'village' are very different, so you should really question which you would feel more comfortable in.

Good luck, and I hope you make a choice that is right for you!
Mysticmin
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

I don't think this admissions tutor knows what he's talking about! Nottingham is regarded much higher among academic circles, I don't know about psychology but I can hedge my bets that Nottingham's research ratings are higher than St. Andrews on average.
J.S.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

I think 'prestige' for St Andrews is particularly prominent amongst retiring counsellors. It's the same group that regard Durham as being the best thing since sliced bread (sliced bread in this situation is cearly Oxbridge). Luckily the outside world tend to look at academic merit, rather universities that have for centuries done nothing.
vavavoom
Rep:
?
(Original post by J.S.)
I think 'prestige' for St Andrews is particularly prominent amongst retiring counsellors. It's the same group that regard Durham as being the best thing since sliced bread (sliced bread in this situation is cearly Oxbridge). Luckily the outside world tend to look at academic merit, rather universities that have for centuries done nothing.
YES YES YES!! That is exactly how my old college counsellor thinks!! He wants me to go to either Durham or St. Andrews as i've gotten offers from both. He's was like 'they are the alternative oxbridges'. *Sigh*.

Thanks for the many responses everybody!! They've helped so so so much!! Any more advice is welcome!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (180)
38.14%
Take autumn exams (145)
30.72%
Look for a job (16)
3.39%
Consider an apprenticeship (21)
4.45%
Take a year out (82)
17.37%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (28)
5.93%

Watched Threads