Watch
This discussion is closed.
shilling
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by emmalucy)
I'm at Mary's at the moment in my 1st yr and, no, i didn't apply there - i was seduced by the lure of Castle, but u learn not to admit that because everyone just takes the piss!
mary's is great fun as long as you're prepared to get involved. if u stay in your room moaning about being in an all-girls college, your prob gonna have a crap 3 yrs. on the other hand, we're all really friendly and you can wander around with unwashed hair and pj's on cos there are no boys. we've got the nicest college buildings on the hill with a lovely view of the cathedral and we're the closest to the science site - you can get up at 5 to and make it to ur 9 o'clock
also u only have to live in for one year and u lucky girls coming in october get lots of lovely men oct 05 (i'm on my work placement yr then, grrrr!)
we do have a bit of a reputation around durham ("virgin megastore" is a favourite, as well as "lesbian,virgin,whore") but its not a problem. at least our college is well known, and as soon as people get to know u, they'll change their minds.
it's a good idea to try make friends in other colleges, esp men, so u can bring them to college events ("ents") cos otherwise they can be a bit female dominated, but apart from that everything's cool.
i'd better get back to work - u can tell its exam time, everyone's procrastinating like mad!
see you in october
xx
Oooh....thanks for all that Emmalucy ! (Come procrastinate on UKL more often, and tell us more )
Did you have to share a room for a term? and if you did, what was it like? Aaand....what subject are you studying? I so can't wait for October
shilling
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by AveHan)
Yes, yes, yes, we call anything with college/society/university logo on it stash and people can't get enough of it! So far I have a college t-shirt, a uni of durham rugby shirt, a cuths hockey polo shirt, jacket and rugby shirt and a student union t-shirt. People wear it all the time - it's great!
Lol...well, as long as this "stash" looks good I suppose...*grin*
emmalucy
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
Hi again!

Just got back from only lecture of the day and finding anything else to do except revise - oh dear.
On the stash front, everyone has some and we all wear it (cos we're that cool!) but don't expect to wear it when u go home again. i just about got away with my college hoody at easter but did get a few odd looks! here its expected tho and if u do any sport u'll end up having to buy loads of kit and wear it just like normal clothes. (you might find the teddy a bit embarrassing when u get here tho - i didn't even know we sold them and i def dont know anyone who has one!)
Anyway, i did share a room in my first term - a triple -but have had singles since then. the triple was ok and i got on really well with one of the girls, who i'm sharing a house with next yr, but the other one was a bit....well...wierd. it was ok tho and it didn't spoil my term or anything like that. there are only a few triples in college so i wouldn't worry too much and if u end up sharing a double thats great cos it gives u someone to talk to and go out with straight away. if u dont get on with them, just make more of an effort with other friends and remember, its only for a few weeks.
i think u can ring up college over the summer holidays and find out what room u've been allocated and whether ur sharing. this might be a good idea because u tend to find that u have a bit less wardrobe, cupboard and wall space in a shared room, so u might want to cut down on luggage. it also means u know what to expect a bit more when u arrive.
i'm studying molecular biology and biochem (MBB) and i've enjoyed it this year although it is hard work (esp. learning it all now :confused: ). i had about 21hrs a week, which is a lot more than arts subjects but about the same as a lot of science ones - 12 hrs lectures then 3hr lab sessions and hour long tutorials. Mary's is very handy for the science site but it's only 10mins walk to the lecture theatres in town so ur well placed for any subject.
right i think i've wasted enough time now, hope thats answered some of ur questions
em
xx

(biochemical methods here we go........ )
shilling
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by emmalucy)
(you might find the teddy a bit embarrassing when u get here tho - i didn't even know we sold them and i def dont know anyone who has one!)
Tehehe...*sheepish grin*
Well, perhaps I'll leave it at home then...or just take its jumper off it
shilling
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by interiority)
You'd leave that bear alone to freeze to death? :eek: I am shocked. I am calling the RSPCA.
*grin*...RSPCTB even

I'll probably leave it here actually - I already have a teddy bear I'm taking to uni with me. A friend made it for me for my 18th birthday.
I'm going to miss my friends sooo much. How about you guys? Two of my best friends are both going to the same uni - I'm going to be so jealous! *onset of green-eyed-monster syndrome*
Thom18
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by shilling)
*grin*...RSPCTB even

I'll probably leave it here actually - I already have a teddy bear I'm taking to uni with me. A friend made it for me for my 18th birthday.
I'm going to miss my friends sooo much. How about you guys? Two of my best friends are both going to the same uni - I'm going to be so jealous! *onset of green-eyed-monster syndrome*
I think it's better if you are alone - then you meet new people, instead of spending time with the person you know. It's a blessing in disguise, in my opinion.
Thom18
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Luckily, my friend and I aren't the dependent types, lol, I imagine she'll want to flee as far as she can after 2 years of me.
Ho ho - you tend to bring that out in people?
Maybe each JCR will organise a crisis, in order to force people to work together (eg. They will plant a bomb in a room somewhere in the college, and give each student a number, and only those with surnames beginning with G have the numbers which point the way to the room and the code needed to defuse the bomb).
Then again, there may be ethical issues involved there...
serendipity
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I'm not really feeling it, yet... I think I'm kind of in denial. Though I do have a friend who'll be at my college, as luck would have it.
So do I. And on the same course. It should be fine though, we're good friends but not bosom buddies, and i'm a really independent person and can't wait to be away from all my friends! Ok, yeah I lie, but I reckon it'll be cool to be on your own where no one knows you. (I say this now, just watch me whimper on my first day at uni!)
shilling
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Thom18)
I think it's better if you are alone - then you meet new people, instead of spending time with the person you know. It's a blessing in disguise, in my opinion.
Yeah, you're right. I actually think it might be good to meet a whole bunch of new people, after having had roughly the same circle of friends for 12 years...(I shouldn't have said "green-eyed-monster syndrome" really - it's more of a "dog-in-the-manger syndrome*. Bit pathetic, I know.)
Thom18
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeah, you're right. I actually think it might be good to meet a whole bunch of new people, after having had roughly the same circle of friends for 12 years...(I shouldn't have said "green-eyed-monster syndrome" really - it's more of a "dog-in-the-manger syndrome*. Bit pathetic, I know.)
Wasn't a manger what Jesus was put in when he was born?
I am a Bible-Master - I should be going to St John's!
shilling
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
*Starts planning her fake Durham personality.*
Lol....yeah, me too. Going by my middle name is all part of my creating-a-new-identity plan...so, ummm. I'm Joanne now people.
Thom18
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeah, you're right. I actually think it might be good to meet a whole bunch of new people, after having had roughly the same circle of friends for 12 years
Although I like my friends, and it will be a little upsetting to leave them, I'll be quite glad to put it all behind me and start afresh, with no-one knowing who you are or about your past.
Not that I have any sort of dark secret, mind you... *twitch, twitch*
Thom18
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
That sounds like some weird metaphor for coming out as a gay necrophiliac.
Um.... that was a little bit of an odd thing to say. I may have to destroy you... then have sex with the body. Oops, I've said too much.
What was the name of this thread again? I think we've gone off on a tangent, yet again.
shilling
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Wasn't a manger what Jesus was put in when he was born?
I am a Bible-Master - I should be going to St John's!
Well, Kate and I will soon surpass you in our knowledge of all things Biblical (providing we opt for that "Classical and Biblical background to English Literature" module...*grin*. Oh the impending joys of reading the entire King James Bible, huh Serendipity?)
Thom18
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well, Kate and I will soon surpass you in our knowledge of all things Biblical (providing we opt for that "Classical and Biblical background to English Literature" module...*grin*. Oh the impending joys of reading the entire King James Bible, huh Serendipity?)
I didn't know Serendipity's name is Kate. I like that name, except that it's my sister's name.
My biblical knowledge is not intended - it has been drilled into me at church, and my Roman Catholic primary and secondary schools. Can you believe we had to say prayers to a crucifix with some metal man attached to it? That's borderline worshipping false idols, Commandment #7.
Thom18
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
St. Mary's ---> Gay Necrophilia

Not quite the move you'd think.
Oh well then, at least we're still in the vicinity of the thread subject.
shilling
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm religious too! I've seen Dogma, like, a billion times.
lololol

Well, I for one confess to being a mangy little heathen.
serendipity
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I didn't know Serendipity's name is Kate. I like that name, except that it's my sister's name.
My biblical knowledge is not intended - it has been drilled into me at church, and my Roman Catholic primary and secondary schools. Can you believe we had to say prayers to a crucifix with some metal man attached to it? That's borderline worshipping false idols, Commandment #7.
*waves* hello, nice to meet you.
In all seriousness I probably will do that module Sarah! At first I was like "Pah! The Bible! Pah!" but now I think it might be kinda cool...*muses*
shilling
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by serendipity)
*waves* hello, nice to meet you.
In all seriousness I probably will do that module Sarah! At first I was like "Pah! The Bible! Pah!" but now I think it might be kinda cool...*muses*
I think I'll be doing it too - for the very reason that I *am* a dirty little heathen. I mean all of western literature is so heavily influenced by the Bible, and so full of references to Biblical texts (all of which I've probably only been dimly aware of so far) that I think it's really important to have a solid grounding in that Biblical background thingy (I seriously hope I'll learn to express myself with a tad more sophistication - not quite so many "thingys" would be a good start.)
Thom18
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think I'll be doing it too - for the very reason that I *am* a dirty little heathen. I mean all of western literature is so heavily influenced by the Bible, and so full of references to Biblical texts (all of which I've probably only been dimly aware of so far) that I think it's really important to have a solid grounding in that Biblical background thingy (I seriously hope I'll learn to express myself with a tad more sophistication - not quite so many "thingys" would be a good start.)
Yes... books... I'm watching Spaced.
(Original post by Tim Bisley)
Babylon 5's a big pile of ****!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (145)
24.62%
Better than expected (129)
21.9%
Worse than expected (315)
53.48%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise