Durham - St Mary's, the all girls college

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Helene*
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
aww the post was left in the may debri this year.. shame, its actually not a bad one. I'll be at mary's myself this october, and although concerned about the pheremones flying about.. i think it'll be fine. As someone else said, my main concern is really with sharing.... but we'll take that as it comes.....

shilling - much to be said for your never ending enthusiasm towards mary's.. has proved much comfort in my nervous pre-move. see you there!

Helene x
shilling
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Helene*)
aww the post was left in the may debri this year.. shame, its actually not a bad one. I'll be at mary's myself this october, and although concerned about the pheremones flying about.. i think it'll be fine. As someone else said, my main concern is really with sharing.... but we'll take that as it comes.....

shilling - much to be said for your never ending enthusiasm towards mary's.. has proved much comfort in my nervous pre-move. see you there!

Helene x

Aww
We're going to have so much fun And don't all the freshers' reps in the Mary's handbook seem lovely? I've emailed Cat (the one who wrote the introduction and put the handbook together) a couple of times with some of my questions, about Mary's and English modules and so on, an she seems really sweet and has been super helpful.
Looking back now, I think if I were applying all over again, having a clearer idea of what all the various colleges are like (because I really didn't know much about them when I had to choose), there isn't any other college I'd rather have applied to, and I'd definitely still go with Mary's - and I'm sure that won't change once I'm actually there.
Do you have any idea though, whether they're going to let us know if we're sharing or not before we get there? Because if they do, I'd quite like to get hold of my roommate's phone number, so I could give her a call and introduce myself ( - if I'm brave enough that is...*grin*)
dave134
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by shilling)
Do you have any idea though, whether they're going to let us know if we're sharing or not before we get there? Because if they do, I'd quite like to get hold of my roommate's phone number, so I could give her a call and introduce myself ( - if I'm brave enough that is...*grin*)
At Trevs on the questionairre there is a section allowing you to put in contact details to be forwarded to your roomate if you share first term

As Trevs also put a whole chunk of legal text about Data Protection Acts, and you had to sign it, I would guess they cannot pass on roomates details without such an agreement being signed. If you do share, they may contact you again and get you to sign such a thing, or equally it may have been hidden in the occupancy agreement.

If however you have not signed such a section, then I doubt they can legally put you in contact, otherwise Trevs wouldn't have gone to such lengths with theirs.
Helene*
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by shilling)
Aww
We're going to have so much fun And don't all the freshers' reps in the Mary's handbook seem lovely? I've emailed Cat (the one who wrote the introduction and put the handbook together) a couple of times with some of my questions, about Mary's and English modules and so on, an she seems really sweet and has been super helpful.
Looking back now, I think if I were applying all over again, having a clearer idea of what all the various colleges are like (because I really didn't know much about them when I had to choose), there isn't any other college I'd rather have applied to, and I'd definitely still go with Mary's - and I'm sure that won't change once I'm actually there.

listen to you! its like its christmas and you're all excited! bless. the room mate predicament is one that i've pondered myself.. it would be nice to exchange a couple of e mails or something before hand.. so that its not all new when we're there. I don't know if we can find our who we are sharing with before... maybe a quick call to mary's a couple of weeks before freshers to ask? i'd love to know too.
funny thought - wouldn't it be bizarrre if we wound up sharing? i'd laugh lots..

either way, hope whoever i'm sharing with (i'm certain i will share... i can't imagine i'd land a single randomly) is friendly and fun.
What did you put on your shairng preferences form? i put someone not studying my subject, music first.. and er, i think religion? last. i was brutally honest, and put book 4th or something behing music, pubs and something else.. hope honesty works well for me!!

Helene x
shilling
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Helene*)
listen to you! its like its christmas and you're all excited! bless. the room mate predicament is one that i've pondered myself.. it would be nice to exchange a couple of e mails or something before hand.. so that its not all new when we're there. I don't know if we can find our who we are sharing with before... maybe a quick call to mary's a couple of weeks before freshers to ask? i'd love to know too.
funny thought - wouldn't it be bizarrre if we wound up sharing? i'd laugh lots..

either way, hope whoever i'm sharing with (i'm certain i will share... i can't imagine i'd land a single randomly) is friendly and fun.
What did you put on your shairng preferences form? i put someone not studying my subject, music first.. and er, i think religion? last. i was brutally honest, and put book 4th or something behing music, pubs and something else.. hope honesty works well for me!!

Helene x
That really would be pretty ironic if we ended up sharing...*grin*

For the question asking whether or not I would prefer to share with someone doing my subject or not, I ticked "yes", but added in brackets that I didn't mind either way. Stupid that there was only "yes" or "no". There should have been a "don't care" option.

The order I put that little list thing in was: 1. Books (seemed appropriate for an English student *ahem*), 2. Music, 3. Theatre, 4. Sport (k, bit of a cheat. But I do *intend* to become much more sporty once I get to Durham. Honest :rolleyes: ) 5. Clubs/Pubs, 6. Religion.

I'm not sure how much that says about me. Doesn't seem like much to base the pairing up of roommates on. But I'm sure it'll be fine anyway; and if it all goes horribly wrong, I'm sure we can change rooms.
Helene*
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yep you're probably not wrong.. if you really don't get on i wouldn't imagine they would make us just stick it out!
not log now.... soon find out..........
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should 'Mental health support' be included on league tables?

Yes (249)
75.23%
No (82)
24.77%

Watched Threads