Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

Route into accounting for a HR Graduate Watch

ReputationRep:
    Evening all,

I graduated from university with a 2:2 in HR Management, and since then I have worked as a contract administrator / project management roll in a SME. I have over a year full time experience working now and I like to think the job I have is a sort of jack of all trades role.

I have searched the net but I have not had much luck. Would any one be able to advise me on a route into accounting, would applying for accounting graduate jobs without an accounting and finance degree be a waste of time? Would it be smarter to stick at my current job and try to undertake a weekend course at a college, or a conversion course at university?

I am really just after some general guidance on the matter as I feel pinned down with a degree which is not too relevant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by irv88)
    Evening all,

I graduated from university with a 2:2 in HR Management, and since then I have worked as a contract administrator / project management roll in a SME. I have over a year full time experience working now and I like to think the job I have is a sort of jack of all trades role.

I have searched the net but I have not had much luck. Would any one be able to advise me on a route into accounting, would applying for accounting graduate jobs without an accounting and finance degree be a waste of time? Would it be smarter to stick at my current job and try to undertake a weekend course at a college, or a conversion course at university?

I am really just after some general guidance on the matter as I feel pinned down with a degree which is not too relevant.
    It's not so much the degree course that will hold you back, more the 2.2 result. Most accountancy schemes I've come across require a 2.1, but there must be some out there which will accept a lower grade.

But yea don't worry about the degree subject, accountancy schemes provide all the training so you don't need to have a background in finance, just a genuine interest in the area.

ReputationRep:
    This is another reason why perhaps I might be best off taking a course or two in order to show some willing, as like you say 2:2 in a somewhat unrelated degree is not going to help get a accountancy grad scheme.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by irv88)
    This is another reason why perhaps I might be best off taking a course or two in order to show some willing, as like you say 2:2 in a somewhat unrelated degree is not going to help get a accountancy grad scheme.
    Wouldn't worry about the unrelated degree. Plenty of people join accountancy firms with unrelated degrees (myself included). Just do your research

ReputationRep:
    Also you could do a masters to boost your career chances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack McGill)
    Also you could do a masters to boost your career chances.
    Masters counts for very little when applying to Accounting jobs at advisory firms.

Poll
Is GoT overrated?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.