The Student Room Group

Higher Modern Studies Exam~How did it go?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
if one source on the DME is missed out, would i fail?
Reply 21
Thought the exam was great!!:smile:

Essay questions in Paper 1 were great, everything my teacher predicted would come up- came up.
But, the hardest of all was Paper 2 the DME - about university tuition fees. It was quite a difficult topic to relate to Background Knowlege but hopefully I can still get an 'A'.

What does everyone think the grade boundaries might be this year after having done the exam?
you don't fail but there is a maximum number of marks you can get for missing out a source - can't remember what it is though
Reply 23
I am really quite pleased with how that went because along with TSR and my teacher my predictions were right and just those particular essays are ones that I find easiest.

I didn't really like the DME as much as practices I have done, and I sooo agree that the first questions were a bit more confusing than normal!

It was a nice paper 1 compared to some of the other years. What threw me for a bit was the lack of Supreme Court in the wording of the USA question?! I put it in because it's part of checks and balances.. But that was sly of the SQA!
Reply 24
does anyone know the minimum marks for DME for missing out a source?
Reply 25
Original post by Brad22
What does everyone think the grade boundaries might be this year after having done the exam?

I am fearing the cut offs will be a bit higher than the normal boundaries - most people I talked to found the exam a lot better than they anticipated.
All of my predictions for the essays were right except A4, I was sure it'd be about voting systems but it was voting behaviour, didn't matter though, voting behaviour is the easiest essay imo :smile:

The DME was a tad different, so i agree with everyone else, my prediction was that it would be on minimum alcohol pricing or something similar but this was an ok topic, i could work with it :smile:

Think I done pretty well overall, hoping for a B or better cause it's part of my conditional :P
Original post by gleek94

however, my teach does believe that an electrol systems question was pulled from the exam because so many people suspected it.

My teacher thinks the same, especially after she had a browse on here and saw so many people predicted it :P
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 28
Think I got 100% found it fantastic! 84% in the prelim so should be in the 90s now! :biggrin:
Original post by gleek94
however, my teach does believe that an electrol systems question was pulled from the exam because so many people suspected it.

This is very unlikely to be the case. Consider the fact that the predictions thread only started a few weeks ago, the exam papers were printed months ago and indeed the exam written about 2 years ago. If anything though the main prediction was for voting behaviour because of the two year pattern that had been shown before.
Loved paper one :smile: Although I did A1 when I could have done A4 - No idea why! putting itdown to exam stress:/ Welfare state question was good and America. Not really sure how I did with Africa though. Hopefully get at least an 11 on each! DME was wierd really struggled for BK and was struggling for coat hangers too. Its done now so hopefully an 'A' in the bag!
I thought it went okay, but I always find that exams where I feel I've performed well tend to be the ones I feel disappointed in... Aaha August will tell!

But all the essay questions were pretty perfect, especially China and America. I didn't get the welfare state in last years Higher History so felt good that the SQA repayed me for that in Modern Studies. :}

Everyone seems to have found it easy though, what are the chances of pass marks being very high? Do you think it was hard or just topics we all knew...?
I have realised that I done something really stupid in the DME because I kept calling the policy 'Background' and not 'Breakthrough' (don't have a clue why, think it was all the 'background' knowledge in my head). Do you think the markers will penalise for this?
Original post by LovePeaceChocolate
Loved paper one :smile: Although I did A1 when I could have done A4 - No idea why! putting itdown to exam stress:/ Welfare state question was good and America. Not really sure how I did with Africa though. Hopefully get at least an 11 on each! DME was wierd really struggled for BK and was struggling for coat hangers too. Its done now so hopefully an 'A' in the bag!

I did the exact same! I panicked and just went for A1 without evening looking at A4... Ah well.
I found the DME reallly tricky and only found 3 reasons to support me reccomendation. However i think my rebuttal was quite good, do you think the marker will penalise me for this??:redface:
Reply 35
Original post by caitlinly
I was so annoyed that voting behaviour came up. I purposely didn't study it cause everyone was so certain it wouldn't come up. And it would have been an easy one for me!

I wasn't certain that elctoral systems would come up. I mentioned in a forum that there was a pattern of 2 voting behaviour question coming up then one fptp vs pr systems etc.
Reply 36
Does anybody know how strict the markers are?
This is because i performed well i think in B5 and C9, A4 i put all the information in but i do not think i performed as well as the others and in A1 i could only write 2paragraphs as i ran out of time. How improtant are conclusions as i did not have time to even conclude my third essay?
Also, what were some background knowledge you could have used on the DME?
Reply 37
sorry, conclude my 4th essay*
In the past, the external report from the sqa warns that some candidates are putting "too much" background knowledge and attempting to secure marks for using it in every single paragraph, so as long as you had some relevant bk you should be fine. You could have mentioned stuff to do with the welfare state, the state of the economy and there was a 'coathanger' about other inequalities in Source A
Absaloute shocker of an exam. So disapointed. I tried SO hard. I needed a B to make my condition to university and doubtful I got that :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending