The Student Room Group

Anyone going to Tiffin sixth form?

:smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well.. I applied because i heard that it was really good and sent my personal statement and yr 10 and yr11 reports but my school really messed up my reports! So they said that im on the waitting list. I need 4A and 2B and B in maths and and english language which i already have. So im hoping to ace my exams and possibly get in ????

BTW i was looking for a tiffin thread so great job for making one!
Reply 2
yh definitely! :smile: also do you have a conditiional offer or are you on the waiting list?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
ah my sister got an offer for Tiffins, but had to reject it as its too far from where we are from, and applied as a back up initially. She had a conditional offer of at least an A in Maths, Eng Language and the subject shes wants to study at AS.
Reply 4
Will be good to know people before hand :biggrin:

Anyone else? I heard you do critical thinking and that general studies is mixed? Is this true?

Yep we did general studies in L6th and critical thinking in uppersixth. Both pointless though :smile: if anyone has any questions about tiffin ask away :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Are both critical and general mixed? :smile: Friends might be there!
What do you in those subjects?

general studies is mixed, critical thinking isn't. Variety of things in general studies including random workshops (knitting, pilates, ball room dancing :tongue:) Critical thinking is a lot more boring, just reading newspaper extracts and mostly classwork. Seriously don't pay too much attention to these subjects pretty much no one takes them seriously :rolleyes:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
what are the chances of someone getting in if they are on the waiting list also what are the students generally like?:smile:
Reply 7
Original post by acer0951
what are the chances of someone getting in if they are on the waiting list also what are the students generally like?:smile:

I'm sorry I don't know much about the waiting list chances but I remember one of my friends missed his offer and they were unable to give him a place so someone on the waiting list got in. The students are extremely intelligent and generally really friendly. It depends what kind of school you're coming from but it can be a bit of a shock at first :tongue:
Reply 8
My brother and sister both go to Tiffin. My brother joined for the 6th form and really enjoys it. My sister joined in Year 7 (is now in Year 9) and isn't keen on the school, but has lots of friends :smile: From what I've seen, Tiffin Girls' can be a bit bitchy because it's a girls' school and very competetive academically, and also has a big problem with eating disorders.
Not that it will make any difference to any of you, but, living in Kingston and studying at Hollyfield School I had the choice of either going to Tiffin (I met the requirements) or carrying on at Hollyfield Sixth form centre. Chose the latter, never regretted it. Don't think you need to go to a top 10 sixth form/ college in order to go far in life. The only asset these places have are the excellent teachers - but then again you don't need to be spoonfed to do well. Their prestige can only be a hindrance when applying to top universities as its known they look up to students who shine from 'less heard-of' schools.

Just my 2 cents. As I said, I chose against going to Tiffins, and did well at A levels (albeit I had to learn a lot of the content in my own time), eventually got into a world class university. I feel that if I did choose to go to Tiffins, and came out with the same A levels I definitely would not have had as much of a chance.
Original post by ViralRiver
Not that it will make any difference to any of you, but, living in Kingston and studying at Hollyfield School I had the choice of either going to Tiffin (I met the requirements) or carrying on at Hollyfield Sixth form centre. Chose the latter, never regretted it. Don't think you need to go to a top 10 sixth form/ college in order to go far in life. The only asset these places have are the excellent teachers - but then again you don't need to be spoonfed to do well. Their prestige can only be a hindrance when applying to top universities as its known they look up to students who shine from 'less heard-of' schools.

Just my 2 cents. As I said, I chose against going to Tiffins, and did well at A levels (albeit I had to learn a lot of the content in my own time), eventually got into a world class university. I feel that if I did choose to go to Tiffins, and came out with the same A levels I definitely would not have had as much of a chance.

I'm a Hollyfield leaver 2006-2011 :biggrin:
Original post by Apocalyptic Fish
I'm a Hollyfield leaver 2006-2011 :biggrin:

I left last year (sixth form) :smile: .
Reply 12
:lol: Yeah that's what my friend said!
So it's the only mixed subject? Reason i'm asking is because I remember seeings girls leaving from the economics class, so I'm wondering what has changed. :smile:

Pretty sure it's just general studies. The general studies lesson may have been in an economics room.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Ah that explains it, how big are the class sizes? :smile:

Average between 20-30. Some do get a lot smaller at A2. Our Geography class had just over 10 people at A2 so it depends on the subjects as well.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Will you be joining? :biggrin:

No, I won't :smile: I never ended up applying because I would hate to go to a single sex school and I'm not as academic as either of them haha
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
Oh ok :smile: How long is the school day? How long are the peroids? Are the breaks really like 2 hours long? How many do you have?
What would you say is the best and worst thing :smile:

Haha! I'm sure you are smarter than a year 7 :tongue:

6 periods each 50mins. first break is at 10:40 I think and it's till 11:00. Lunchtime is at 12:40 and its till 1:50 I think. then school finishes at 3:30. so double then break double then lunchtime then double then home. You don't get those many frees in lower sixth and the worst thing is if you have a free in the morning you have to turn up and sign in the library. Upper sixth is great though, loads of frees and you can come and go as you please during your frees. Kingston is great too :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
Cool what time does the day start then? :smile:
What subjects did you pick? Were the teachers good? :biggrin:

Did you have to change between the schools, like go to the boys then girls one, for different lessons?

8:30 start.
I picked Geography, Biology, Maths and Physics for AS and then took Geog, Maths and Bio to A2 dropping Physics at AS. Geography and Biology teachers were excellent, Physics wasn't too good and I just always really struggled with Maths because everyone in my class was so much more clever so the Maths teachers just used to zoom through. Never had to change between the boys and girls school. With the exception of general studies I don't think much happens between the two schools.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Cool :biggrin: You at uni now then? I was wondering how geo maths and bio would link in...I like them but, not sure.
Can you change subjects at begining of tiffin?

Nope gap year :smile: Yeah it's a bit of a random combination but the Geography department in tiffin is brilliant, the 10 students in A2 a year before me achieved 5A* and 5As at A level :smile: You can change your subjects at the beginning, a lot of people do, in fact my maths teacher tried to force me to change :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Gap year :biggrin: Have fun! Got any uni offers?
So how did maths go then? I wont be picking physics :colone: I picked maths with stats :tongue:

Yes, everything's in my sig :wink: Well it was a battle but in the end I got my A (1 off an A* as well :colone: ) Yeah well I never liked physics anyway. Oh unless they've changed it now, if you do physics at AS you get forced to do M1 and M2 and if you don't do Physics you do S1 and S2. So have you got a place there then?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Need the grades :wink: Revise like a good tiffin boy or should I say young man :colone:

I can't see sigs my tsr is bugged....can you tell me :s-smilie:

Sure I have offers for medicine at Liverpool,Lancaster and Peninsula. Firmed Liverpool. Is the offer still the standard 4As and 2Bs with As in the over subscribed subjects?
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending