exceeding the grade in the STEP exams

Watch
This discussion is closed.
DonnaB041986
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
i just want to know if anyone who is studying maths at cambridge actually got higher grades than what was required in their offer for the STEP exams?
ive got to do them this summer... not looking forward to it!
Donna
-x-
theone
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by DonnaB041986)
i just want to know if anyone who is studying maths at cambridge actually got higher grades than what was required in their offer for the STEP exams?
ive got to do them this summer... not looking forward to it!
Donna
-x-
I think about 7/8 % of candidates get SS, which is obviously far greater than what is required. I'd say about 1/2 meet their offer or slightly fail on it, by a grade, and 1/2 exceed it, probably only by a grade. But there are some exceptional students out there, it's bound to be expected. Best of luck with step, I'm worried about my 1,1 offer
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
theone, would you care to share your experience and tips on approaching a STEP problem? I've been tackling them for several hours everyday for weeks now, and they're not clicking, at all, so much so I usually cannot make any progress on STEP 1/2 problems, nevermind 3. My teachers have no clue how to tackle them either.

I know it's important to think clearly, and laterally, and to be persistant with my own lines of thought and not consult solutions or teachers. I just wish it would click, a little, as sooner or later I'm going to get sick of hitting a brick wall.

You seem to be pretty knowledgeable on STEP/BMO, any advice would be appreciated.

Good luck to both of you on your STEP offers.
DonnaB041986
(Original post by theone)
I think about 7/8 % of candidates get SS, which is obviously far greater than what is required. I'd say about 1/2 meet their offer or slightly fail on it, by a grade, and 1/2 exceed it, probably only by a grade. But there are some exceptional students out there, it's bound to be expected. Best of luck with step, I'm worried about my 1,1 offer
was it you that got a place at trinity? ive 'only' got to get 2,2. i was working on a past paper today and i managed to finish a question, hopefully my maths teacher wont spot any flaws in it!

Donna
-x-
theone
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
theone, would you care to share your experience and tips on approaching a STEP problem? I've been tackling them for several hours everyday for weeks now, and they're not clicking, at all, so much so I usually cannot make any progress on STEP 1/2 problems, nevermind 3. My teachers have no clue how to tackle them either.

I know it's important to think clearly, and laterally, and to be persistant with my own lines of thought and not consult solutions or teachers. I just wish it would click, a little, as sooner or later I'm going to get sick of hitting a brick wall.

You seem to be pretty knowledgeable on STEP/BMO, any advice would be appreciated.

Good luck to both of you on your STEP offers.
I think there are two impotant things that i've found you need to do step questions. i think the most important one is understanding of what you've done, i think this goes without saying, but you need a thorough knowledge of pretty much everything. secondly, you need to practice a lot on past questions, as many as you can really, it's important to be used to really hard problems, so that the problems themselves are not so shocking. also don't be put off that they look hard, they are normally not too hard, don't require too much working, and usually you are given what to prove, so you know if you're on the right lines. Dr siklos' booklet is far more useful than what i can tell you, but i find it useful to try one question, if you don't succeed after half an hour or an hour try a different one, and come back to the one you couldn't do with a fresh approach. the answer to the other one may even come to you when you're working. There are lots of subtle hints given to you, e.g. questions with two or parts normally have some sort of obvious relation between consecutive parts.

I am hardly all knowledgeable, as my experience in the bmo2 reminded me, i'm still pretty ignorant compared to some people, i'm sure other people who've been through it all, like Bigcnee, can give you better advice, or say things that i'ev missed.

best of luck.
emzie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
whats an SS? I thought it was just out of 1,1?
DonnaB041986
(Original post by emzie)
whats an SS? I thought it was just out of 1,1?
s grade is the highest grade on the step papers, theyre graded s,1,2,3, with 3 the lowest grade. you have to be EXTREAMLY smart to get an s, considering that cambridge colleges usually need grades 1 or 2 and you have to be smart to get that. id expect that youd have top finish (or very nearly finish) about 4/5 questions with the right answers to get it. :eek:

Donna
-x-
quinnbrakes
Report 16 years ago
Mathematical genius in the year above me was given a AAAA 1,1 offer to cambridge. Our school went mental. He ended up with AAAAA S,1 but was not happy with his college.
[email protected]
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I didn't realise Cambridge made offers over 4 A levels!
quinnbrakes
Report 16 years ago
The theory I heard was that the school wrote a really complacent ref. and the college decided to see wether he was as good as they seemed to think.

Poor bloke was gutted. One of the nicest guys ive ever met and def not arrogant. His best mate got a 2E offer to Catz. Now that must have been awful.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
What college did this guy end up in? That's a harsh offer!
Drederick Tatum
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
So how do they mark STEP papers then? I've got a 1,2 offer, so in order to get these grades, how many questions do i have to answer correctly. Also, how much of a question do you have to do to 'complete' it? Does it have to be completely correct?

Tatum
quinnbrakes
Report 16 years ago
methinks it was trinity but i could be wrong
theone
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Perhaps 4A is a little harsh, although, imho, 1,1, is easily the hardest part of that
Drederick Tatum
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Drederick Tatum)
So how do they mark STEP papers then? I've got a 1,2 offer, so in order to get these grades, how many questions do i have to answer correctly. Also, how much of a question do you have to do to 'complete' it? Does it have to be completely correct?

Tatum
Does anyone know about this

Tatum
theone
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Drederick Tatum)
Does anyone know about this

Tatum
I think on STEP 2, you need to get 5 questions completely right or near right to get an S, and probably 3/4 to get a 1, depending how hard a year it is. STEP 3 is a lot harder, normally 4 completely correct questions gets you an S, and 3 complete questions gets you a 1. I think the questions are marked to favour those candidates who have completely solved a question, and to punish those who have only done 'scraps' of questions. To 'complete' it, you basically have to totally finish it, give or take one or two minor errors.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (231)
39.09%
Take autumn exams (177)
29.95%
Look for a job (20)
3.38%
Consider an apprenticeship (23)
3.89%
Take a year out (105)
17.77%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (35)
5.92%

Watched Threads