This discussion is closed.
ruthiepoothie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
why does no-one here seem to like birmingham uni??????
gzftan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ruthiepoothie)
why does no-one here seem to like birmingham uni??????
I have nothing against it....i just don't know much about it....i'm sure it's brill though!

G
ruthiepoothie
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gnostic)
Because it's in Birmingham.
whats wrong with birmingham- have you not been to the bull ring??
serendipity
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I went there for a few days. The city centre was ok (though it had a HUGE number of drugies\homless) - the rest is a dump. And danerous. I went to one baker shop 10 mins from the city centre where there were prison-type bars separating the customers from the workers.
lol sounds like london then!!

The uni is in Edgebaston.

Ruthie - what accommodation do u want to be put in? I want Shackleton Hall.
ruthiepoothie
Rep:
?
(Original post by serendipity)
lol sounds like london then!!

The uni is in Edgebaston.

Ruthie - what accommodation do u want to be put in? I want Shackleton Hall.

i think im gonna live at home- but if i was gonna live in accomodation it would probably be tennis court flats. I only live about 1/2 hr from uni and my dad works there so it seems a waste of money for me to fork out on accomodation...

ps edgebaston is quite a posh bit of birmingham- where all the private and grammar schools are
Sunnyt
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i think im gonna live at home- but if i was gonna live in accomodation it would probably be tennis court flats. I only live about 1/2 hr from uni and my dad works there so it seems a waste of money for me to fork out on accomodation...

ps edgebaston is quite a posh bit of birmingham- where all the private and grammar schools are
i love the area! brum is my fave, i love going out there a good life, but can i just mention that there is also a red light district near the uni of the hagley rd!
Fishcat
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Tho the uni is nice, b'ham is a bit of a hole (sorry).
The bullring is overrated, with shops dirrected at entirely the wrong people to put in the centre of b'ham.

Plus it looks like an armadillo.
Lupin Loopy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Fishcat)
Tho the uni is nice, b'ham is a bit of a hole (sorry).
The bullring is overrated, with shops dirrected at entirely the wrong people to put in the centre of b'ham.

Plus it looks like an armadillo.
The Bullring is AMAZING!
What do you mean, "shops dirrected at entirely the wrong people to put in the centre of b'ham" ?
Fishcat
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Scallies, Kevs and Barrys.

Much better shopping can be found in places like Manchester's Trafford Centre or Solihul's Touchwood centre.

But as my sister just reminded me, I'm male, so what do I know?
cobra
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
In general people here (including me) are quite intelligent and off to top unis of which b'ham isnt one, its not a bad uni just not really really good, u get an unbalenced mix here
Fishcat
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by cobra01977)
In general people here (including me) are quite intelligent and off to top unis of which b'ham isnt one, its not a bad uni just not really really good, u get an unbalenced mix here
Birmingham is by no means a bad university. It's ranked 15th in the country (10 places higher than my choice of Cardiff- so mind what you say amigo).
Heres the top 25 for you:

1 Oxford
2 Cambridge
3 Imperial College
4 London School of Economics
5 Bath
6 University College London
7 York
8 Warwick
9 Bristol
10 Durham
11 St Andrews
12 Loughborough
13 Nottingham
14 Edinburgh
=15 Manchester
=15 Birmingham
17 Newcastle
18 King's College London
19 Royal Holloway
20 Aberdeen
21 Lancaster
22 SOAS
23 UMIST
24 Leicester
=25 Cardiff
=25 Sheffield
Lupin Loopy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by cobra01977)
so you're saying that by going to Bham we are lowering oursleves and it isn't good enough for "intellegent" people?!
Sunnyt
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well, it's not the LSE.

brum is good and as for the lse comment well i could say the LSE AINT CAMBRIDGE!
samd294
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
That LSE comment is ****ing stupid. A guy comes on here trying to cut through the ******** of the academic snobbery that is understandably going to perpetuate in an internet academic forum, and a comment like that comes up. My mate loves the place, has an amazing time there. And one other thing-the shower facilities there are considerably better than my college in Durham!
Lupin Loopy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
But it's not the LSE, is it?
well done, very observant of you.
No, Birmingham university is not LSE
ruthiepoothie
Rep:
?
why do people have to be so horrible about birmingham- what's wrong with it?? i think that it is good to have a mix of people- makes life more interesting. no-one has actually come up with any good reasons why they think birmingham is a rubbish uni-maybe thats cos its not....
Sunnyt
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
why do people have to be so horrible about birmingham- what's wrong with it?? i think that it is good to have a mix of people- makes life more interesting. no-one has actually come up with any good reasons why they think birmingham is a rubbish uni-maybe thats cos its not....

Birmingham is a a very good univeristy!, ignore others, there in the Russel Group, of course they are good! plus brum is wikid to go out in n the shops r fab and as for people like who say its in a a horrible area, it dont matter does it? im going to warwick, n thats in cov!!!! it aint that bad but the brum area is better

so good luck n ignore the rest

sunny
andyreid
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Fishcat)
Scallies, Kevs and Barrys.

Much better shopping can be found in places like Manchester's Trafford Centre or Solihul's Touchwood centre.

But as my sister just reminded me, I'm male, so what do I know?

what and manc dont have scallies????
lol
birmingham,has got some 1960s disasters,especially if you drive up from the m6,but 12 bilion over next 10 yeas is sorting that out,it will be better than manchester i can tell you that
ruthiepoothie
Rep:
?
(Original post by andyreid)
what and manc dont have scallies????
lol
birmingham,has got some 1960s disasters,especially if you drive up from the m6,but 12 bilion over next 10 yeas is sorting that out,it will be better than manchester i can tell you that
yay!!!
sukh_b
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Birmingham Uni is a very nice place.I dunno y people are slating it.Once in the main campus you cannot even tell your in Birmingham.The Uni is also well respected. Nightlife is good, theres plenty to do.
But...
Birmingham on the whole is a bit run down!Some very dangerous area's (like most cities).Its in the process of being regenerated (new Bullring Centre which is quite impressive) but those entering the uni this year probably wont benefit from the regeneration a great deal.I also cannot stand the accent!

P.S if your goin to visit try not to enter Bham through M6, or A38 express way.You'll get depressed before you even get to the uni!!!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (233)
39.29%
Take autumn exams (177)
29.85%
Look for a job (20)
3.37%
Consider an apprenticeship (23)
3.88%
Take a year out (105)
17.71%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (35)
5.9%

Watched Threads