The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by thunder_chunky
:sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

I'm sorry were you saying something?

Gloss over it all you like. The British military have killed civilians in my name in far, far away countries.

**** em.
Reply 101
Original post by Felchingman
The majority of soldiers have no idea why they're fighting, they're just obeying orders.
In the USA, soldiers are praised, perhaps quite naively, but it is a good thing they're serving their country.

The other side is also usually just obeying orders, but if you are mindless enough to just "follow orders" I guess the military is where you belong.
Original post by Guitarded
It's the issue I was complaining about in the first place. They represent our country, but on the whole they do not fight for it's people, and a huge percentage of the population (including the army) and the media seem to be praising them for putting their lives on the line for us, as if it's in our interests.

But you started talking about whether they actually represent the country.

Whether they actually serve the country and whether they actually represent the best interest of the country is two seperate issues.

The answer to the former is yes, and the answer to the latter is...well...debatable.
Original post by Organ
Gloss over it all you like. The British military have killed civilians in my name in far, far away countries.

**** em.

Far be it from you to use common sense in this matter. I'm sure you know all the facts and all the truth and know that generalising is silly.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 104
Come back when you actually have something intelligent to say.

**** em.

**** the murdering scum. They deserve no respect. And to the racists on here I am white and English.
Original post by Organ

**** em.

**** the murdering scum. They deserve no respect. And to the racists on here I am white and English.

Civilians have died and it is tragic, however the vast majority of the British armed forces is professional with good means, abilities, and intentions. If you want to be taken seriously I'd suggest you stop making uninformed generalisations. It's clear you don't know the facts or you are biased, or both.
Reply 106
Civilians have died and it is tragic, however the vast majority of the British armed forces is professional with good means, abilities, and intentions. If you want to be taken seriously I'd suggest you stop making uninformed generalisations. It's clear you don't know the facts or you are biased, or both.

What the hell is the British army even in Iraq in the first place (where that girl died)?

The people who sign up for this sort of stuff are sick and the whole thing requires you to be racist or you would simply refuse to get involved in things like Iraq.
Reply 107
They are not 'brave men and women putting their lives on the line'.

1. Our country is not under attack. We invaded Iraq with the US for unjustified reasons.

2. Most soldiers are no good chavs who sign up because they wouldn't be able to cope behaving in a civilised society and with a real job.
Reply 108
Original post by Organ
What the hell is the British army even in Iraq in the first place (where that girl died)?

The people who sign up for this sort of stuff are sick and the whole thing requires you to be racist or you would simply refuse to get involved in things like Iraq.

At the very least, get the tense right. We left Iraq years ago.
Reply 109
Peacekeeping is part of what they do though, which is why the idea of all troops coming home and staying here is unlikely. Our troops are part of the UN forces that deploy around the world to peacekeep and provide aid.

This is obviously not what I am talking about :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: No I'm not as it happens. Don't look for things that aren't there. I'm specifically talking about those that are genuine targets.

Well the British army has had an awful lot of these "mistakes" over the last few decades hasn't it?

Who are genuine targets anyway? The Iraqi army? Why? Were they threatening Norwich or something?
Original post by Organ

The reasons given as far as I know were:

1) To search for WMD's and seize by force if need be.
2) Overthrow Saddam Hussein.

That said, Just because I support the armed forces it doesn't mean I support every conflict. I've always been dubious about Iraq and it's never had my full support.

You're required to be a racist? :lol: Oh dear, poor you.
Reply 111
Original post by Drewski
At the very least, get the tense right. We left Iraq years ago.

lol, I suppose pedantry is easier than trying to justify the antics of "our boys" overseas.

I'm afraid the British military make me ashamed to be British, a rotten institution along with our rotten political class. It pains me to say it as somebody whose grandfathers and great grandfathers fought in WW1 and WW2, but when you remove blind patriotism from the mix, it is the only conclusion I can draw I'm afraid..
Reply 112
You're required to be a racist? :lol: Oh dear, poor you.

Yes, I believe you do. I think you have to subscribe to the Iraqis and Afghans as "unpeople" to participate in both of these conflicts. For example in the early stages of the Afghan conflict in 2001 (the bombing campaign before the invasion) around 3,500 civilians were killed directly by NATO bombs (a death toll higher than 9/11) - women, men and children..whole families and in many cases communities. These sorts of facts are just waved away as nothing and all part and parcel of war. I think this sort of indifference requires a racist attitude towards the countries you are occupying. I don't think the pilots of the USAF and the RAF would be so indifferent about killing 3,500 civilians in California or Kent for example, even if it was for what they perceive to be the "greater good".
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Dubliner
This is obviously not what I am talking about :rolleyes:

You said:

"At the end of the day - the sooner the british govt stop sending it's employees to get killed in foreign countries the sooner we can stop having this boring ****ing argument!"

To which I replied that such a thing is highly unlikely, not least of all because of the work they do helping with aid and peacekeeping. That is part of what they do whether you like it or not and whether you accept it or not. I was merely responding to what you said.

Now take a deep breath and try again.

Well the British army has had an awful lot of these "mistakes" over the last few decades hasn't it?

Every army and every millitary has such moments. It is, to say the least, regrettable and it is certainly not the policy of the millitary to target innocents on purpose. And when you counter those mistakes with the success they have had it really puts it into proportion.
It's pretty obvious that you are trying to paint the millitary in a certain way, brutish babykillers with no remorse, but that is far from the truth. Anyone with an ounce of common sense knows this. The more you peddle this argument the more absurd it gets.

Who are genuine targets anyway? The Iraqi army? Why? Were they threatening Norwich or something?

Terrorists, insurgents and generally when you look around the world (not just in the field of combating terrorism) warlords, despots, millitary commanders, the list is endless.
It's not just a case of whether they are threatening the UK, it's whether they are threatening people of their own country to the point where it is no longer acceptable to stand by and do nothing. Whilst I can see how easy it is for someone like you to take a narrow minded view, it's actually pretty obvious if you think about it.
Reply 114
Original post by Organ
lol, I suppose pedantry is easier than trying to justify the antics of "our boys" overseas.

I'm afraid the British military make me ashamed to be British, a rotten institution along with our rotten political class. It pains me to say it as somebody whose grandfathers and great grandfathers fought in WW1 and WW2, but when you remove blind patriotism from the mix, it is the only conclusion I can draw I'm afraid..

Because you only want to see one side of the story.

Why should I try to justify the antics of the minority? Especially a minority who's actions are indefensible.
No matter what the group, there will be a portion who will break the rules. It's the same everywhere. Teachers who sleep with students, policemen who takes bungs from reporters, shopworkers who steal from their stores. The Armed Forces are no different. It's staffed by humans who act as humans. They have weak moments and make mistakes. No matter what your opinion of the people in the Forces, they're no different to the people you go to uni with or see in the pub.

Is it sad that humanity ends this way? Undoubtedly.
Is it bad that we end up having wars at all? Without question.
Are the actions of a minority of idiots something to be saddened by? Of course.
Are those actions enough to tar over a quarter of million people with the same brush? I don't think so.

You have issues with the actions of some. Of course you do. Who wouldn't? But why label them all the same way? I never went to Iraq or Afghanistan. Am I now a racist, a murderer and a baby killer simply because I was in the RAF for a year?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Organ
Yes, I believe you do. I think you have to subscribe to the Iraqis and Afghans as "unpeople" to participate in both of these conflicts. For example in the early stages of the Afghan conflict in 2001 (the bombing campaign before the invasion) around 3,500 civilians were killed directly by NATO bombs (a death toll higher than 9/11) - women, men and children..whole families and in many cases communities. These sorts of facts are just waved away as nothing and all part and parcel of war. I think this sort of indifference requires a racist attitude towards the countries you are occupying. I don't think the pilots of the USAF and the RAF would be so non-violent about killing 3,500 civilians in California or Kent for example, even if it was for what they perceive to be the "greater good".

Well when there are Taliban and enemy insurgents in California or Kent we'll think about that.
I'm not condoning the deaths of innocent people, but at the same time I'm not willing to condemn the entire millitary or tar them all with the same brush, especially by using such a close minded uneducated argument.

Original post by Organ

I think the only conclusion we can draw is that you haven't a clue.
The OP mentions the army putting their lives on the line - that could also be said for fire services, police, hospital staff, etc. Need I go on?

I don't agree with the war and certainly don't approve of the army killing innocent civilians.

I also don't think they're "heroes" either.
Reply 117
You said:

"At the end of the day - the sooner the british govt stop sending it's employees to get killed in foreign countries the sooner we can stop having this boring ****ing argument!"

To which I replied that such a thing is highly unlikely, not least of all because of the work they do helping with aid and peacekeeping. That is part of what they do whether you like it or not and whether you accept it or not. I was merely responding to what you said.

Now take a deep breath and try again.

I'm obviously not talking about "peacekeeping". The Irish Defence Forces are involved in "peacekeeping". The British army was involved in things like the Iraq war - a conflict that even the majority of Europe was opposed to (including the Franco-German axis). This is not "peacekeeping", nobody objects to "peacekeeping" do they?

Every army and every millitary has such moments. It is, to say the least, regrettable and it is certainly not the policy of the millitary to target innocents on purpose. And when you counter those mistakes with the success they have had it really puts it into proportion.

Right, and what success is this? Iraq? Northern Ireland?

Terrorists, insurgents and generally when you look around the world (not just in the field of combating terrorism) warlords, despots, millitary commanders, the list is endless.

What insurgents attacking an occupation force? I have a feeling you would have described the Irish freedom fighters of the early 20th century as "terrorists" and "insurgents" (which from the perspective of Westminster they were). I think to a lot of people around the world..it is actually the British army who are the terrorists invading countries like Iraq - all of your "endless list" can be turned around and used against you.

It's not just a case of whether they are threatening the UK, it's whether they are threatening people of their own country to the point where it is no longer acceptable to stand by and do nothing.

What a load of bull. What is Britain doing to promote human rights in say Bahrain? Mubarak in Egypt? The British and American governments (along with many European governments and Russia and China) don’t seem to care about overthrowing the corrupt, torturing, murdering tyrants of Saudi the way they claimed they did in Iraq or Afghanistan. In fact they seem keen to help them stay in power. Promoting democracies abroad has never been an aim of any of the major world powers’ governments. The foreign policy aims of democratically elected governments are generally the same as those of undemocratic countries like China and Russia - to install governments who are their clients and will run their countries for the benefit of foreign companies rather than the benefit of their own people. In return the client governments get a cut of the proceeds of exploiting their own people. The British government remain allies of corrupt torturing dictatorships worldwide (indeed the monarch of Bahrain will soon be having meals with the queen), so forgive me if I feel a little cynical about human rights being an overriding factor in any of this.
Original post by Medstudentlondon.
If you want us to love your stupid army then stop invading foreign countries like Iraq.

Until then the "brave" British army can go and **** itself..

here are our heroes beating up some Iraqi kids..

If you dont want to see the British Army on the streets without being fully armoured may I suggest you go and **** off eesewhere and claim benefits?

You and your ilk are nothing but cowards and we should never let your kind into our country.

Such a pity we didnt let the Nazi war machine turn your culture into dust.
Reply 119
Original post by Dubliner
I'm obviously not talking about "peacekeeping". The Irish Defence Forces are involved in "peacekeeping". The British army was involved in things like the Iraq war - a conflict that even the majority of Europe was opposed to (including the Franco-German axis). This is not "peacekeeping", nobody objects to "peacekeeping" do they?

Right, and what success is this? Iraq? Northern Ireland?

What insurgents attacking an occupation force? I have a feeling you would have described the Irish freedom fighters of the early 20th century as "terrorists" and "insurgents" (which from the perspective of Westminster they were). I think to a lot of people around the world..it is actually the British army who are the terrorists invading countries like Iraq - all of your "endless list" can be turned around and used against you.

What a load of bull. What is Britain doing to promote human rights in say Bahrain? Mubarak in Egypt? The British and American governments (along with many European governments and Russia and China) don’t seem to care about overthrowing the corrupt, torturing, murdering tyrants of Saudi the way they claimed they did in Iraq or Afghanistan. In fact they seem keen to help them stay in power. Promoting democracies abroad has never been an aim of any of the major world powers’ governments. The foreign policy aims of democratically elected governments are generally the same as those of undemocratic countries like China and Russia - to install governments who are their clients and will run their countries for the benefit of foreign companies rather than the benefit of their own people. In return the client governments get a cut of the proceeds of exploiting their own people. The British government remain allies of corrupt torturing dictatorships worldwide (indeed the monarch of Bahrain will soon be having meals with the queen), so forgive me if I feel a little cynical about human rights being an overriding factor in any of this.

British Forces were also engaged in fighting in the mid to late-90s to end genocide on this continent. Was that an act that we should be ashamed of, that in hindisght we shouldn't have done?

Latest

Trending

Trending