This discussion is closed.
BossLady
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
How much free time do you have on your course?Is your timetable packed or pretty empty? Just looking for opinions, I know it will vary a great deal with the course/uni.
Sunnyt
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by BossLady)
How much free time do you have on your course?Is your timetable packed or pretty empty? Just looking for opinions, I know it will vary a great deal with the course/uni.

you dont have many lectures at uni they expect you to carry out your own independent study about 10 hour classes a week
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Well just look at all the students that spend their lives on here, they must have quite a bit of free time.
LongGone
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Arts students are supposed to have quite a bit of free time, but they're expected to do loads of work and reading on their own. Science students tend to spend a lot more time in actual lectures. But even at Oxford and Cambridge, where the workload must be pretty big, people still seem to find time to enjoy themselves.
loftx
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
We maths students have loads of free time. Around a 20 hour a week timetable, but hardly any work or reading to do outside of lectures and classes
BossLady
Rep:
?
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm asking this because next year (hopefully) I'll be at imperial and I was looking at the timetable for first years here http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~im/TIMTAB/term2/class/c1.html
It looks plain evil, like I'll have no free time at all, which is kinda scary! Since it's for comp sci though at least I won't be scribbling essays late into the night
Does anyone else have a crazy timetable like this?
LongGone
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm asking this because next year (hopefully) I'll be at imperial and I was looking at the timetable for first years here http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~im/TIMTAB/term2/class/c1.html
It looks plain evil, like I'll have no free time at all, which is kinda scary! Since it's for comp sci though at least I won't be scribbling essays late into the night
Does anyone else have a crazy timetable like this?
Ouch! That looks scary!
.NK
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I only have about 10 hours of lectures a week, but there is a lot of extra reading, essays and lab reports to do.

My lectures for my course are only on Mondays and Fridays, but I have subsiduary module lectures and seminars on the other days.

I don't find that I'm pushed for time too much at the moment, but I don't feel that I spend a lot of time just sitting around. I mean, I always have things like washing, writing up notes, extra reading, sports, etc to be doing.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
This is my timetable

http://static-005.cms.salford.ac.uk:...subject=MIT2.2

There is less scheduled lectures/practicals this semsester as we are expected to a lot more research
BossLady
Rep:
?
(Original post by amazingtrade)
This is my timetable

There is less scheduled lectures/practicals this semsester as we are expected to a lot more research
UMM AT, It's empty!
fionah
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Well I'm going to be doing English and that's pretty renowned for spare time. Obviously, i'll have loads of reading to be getting on with but i'll have 8 hours a week, 4 hours of lectures and 4 hours of seminars.

I'm looking forward to it.
Icarus
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
This is my timetable

LOL, you slacker

This semester we get 20/24 scheduled hours (varies every week) - though the work you're expected to do is at least double that. I still find time to do stuff at the weekend though, and if you're particularly good at a lab exercise and finish early there's a night out worth at least.
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Icarus)
LOL, you slacker

This semester we get 20/24 scheduled hours (varies every week) - though the work you're expected to do is at least double that. I still find time to do stuff at the weekend though, and if you're particularly good at a lab exercise and finish early there's a night out worth at least.
Now your just trying to scare me!!!
Ollie
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Leekey)
Now your just trying to scare me!!!
i have about 20 hours, and maybe 6 or 7 hours a week assignments. threre isnt much reading.
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I have about 20 hours as well and don't get that much work to do, besides a weekly problem sheet and another sheet every 2 weeks. At the end of term though, we have to write a lab report and I also have a 450 word story to write. I have a big gap in the middle of the day on Thursday (3 hours!) and it gets really boring.
alocin
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I'm doing Law, and I have 8 one hour lectures (all at 9 or 10am damn them!) and 2 one hour seminars a week. Thats pretty good compared to the science students who are stuck in labs all day!

However supposedly we spend 40 hours a week working - those 10 contact hours and 30 hours outside reading and prep work. Yeah right! What bizarre planet are they on!? First years certainly don't need to do that much.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Icarus)
LOL, you slacker

Yeah this semester is much less lectures than normal because of more research, we are having to make a very advanced site as apart of a team work and that invovles loads of scheduled meetings, stuff that dosn't show up on the time tables. Pretty soon I will have to start doing 5 hours a day uni work when I get all my assignments. Today I need to about 8 hours as I have so much work to catch up on because I've been too busy clubbing/shopping the last few days.

I am expected to do 72 hours a week accoridng to my handbook (including lectures) but there is no way enough work to do that.
rah
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
hmm about 9 hours a week scheduled stuff and five times that amount expected to be spent reading

only 5.5 this week though, score! hurrah for striking lecturers!
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
i have 16 hours a week "contact time" and they recon i should be spending another 44 hours doing indepantand working....needless to say that doesnt happen. i do get a lot of homework...but as we do it as a group effort then it cuts down on the tie it takes..the joys of maths- everyones answres are suppoes to be identical!

love Katy ***
Will Piovano
Report 16 years ago
Yes, the CS timetable looks to be leather-tough. Damn, on Tuesday we have 7 hours of class. :eek:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (12)
12.12%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (62)
62.63%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (14)
14.14%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (9)
9.09%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (2)
2.02%

Watched Threads