Char Wari
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Does anyone have any notes on any of the 4 texts regarding the aspects of narratives?

- Rime of the Ancient Mariner
- The Great Gatsby*
- Kite Runner*
- Christina Rossetti, (Goblin Market, Convent Threshold, Maude Clare, Winter; My Secret and Cousin Kate)

And the aspects of narratives which I wish to explore are
- Scenes and Places
- Time and Sequence*
- Points of view
- Characters and Characterization
- Voices in texts*
- Destination

I have put an asterisk (*) around the main aspects of narratives and the texts which I require the most assistance on, if anyone could just add, or jot a few notes down which they might have. It would be greatly appreciated as I am struggling with only 4 days left until the exam. Thanks
Alexander94
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I will attach my Kite Runner notes if you want, I am not doing any of the other texts
Attached files
SophiePearman
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm also studying 'The great Gatsby' and 'The rime of the Ancient Mariner'
Here are some points on what may come up in a section B question.

(Theses are class notes, so if anyone wants to go into more detail on them that would be appreciated)

Rime of the Ancient Mariner
Contrast - 'Bloody sun' & 'Glorious sun', shows how the sailors differ in opinion about the event. As the sun inflicts pain on the sailor and mariners.
- Contrast between life and life-in-death
- Natural vs. Supernatural *Wedding = natural and is in present tense. *Mariners tale = supernatural and is in past tense.
- The story is layered- the contrast between the happy and sadness = the curse on the mariner = sadness and pain and the wedding = happy.
- Death of all the sailors vs. eternal life of the mariner- a weakness of this is that the mariner is dead but is still living to tell his tale.
- The mariners view on animals (albatross) and all life before the curse is put on him and the way his opinions change after the curse has been placed upon him.

Beginnings - The epigraph Latin translates into something that explains reality/supernatural
- Motif of the 'Glittering eye' gives off a hypnotic effect. Suggests a supernatural curse has already been placed upon him.
- The wedding and the guests are seen as a framing device. Ar the beginning allows readers the description of the mariners (through the voice of the wedding guests) making him seen ghost like - also holds connotations of Cain the condemned wandering the earth for eternity.

Voice - Lack of voices at the beginning shows the loneliness of the mariner and how he longs to share his tale.
- The voices later on add to the clarity of the poem.
-Part 6 Two voices offers a natural break in the poem - its offers a complete explanation of mariners situation and when he returns to humanity.
Char Wari
Rep:
?
thank you, very useful guys, really appreciate this help
Char Wari
Rep:
?
Bump, exam is in two days!!! Need as much help as possible
zakkaz
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The Great Gatsby -

Time is used:

The story is told in retrospect Fitzgerald gives Nick the oppurtunity to rearrange the events of the story. This gives the reader a limited perspective of the Narrative because we only view it from Nick's jugemental perspective. "life is best viewed from a single window"

The story happens over a long period of time however Fitzgerald allows Nick to condense time, this means that Nick picks out specific events that he feels are important/signifigant. ANd as we know that Nick embellishes aspects of life that are to bleak and miserable we can question whether there are any events that he may have missed out because perhaps they were too dark and bleak.

Fitzgerald also uses night and day as a structural device, Gatsby's parties take placeat night time. Perhaps Fitzgerald suggests here that the darkness of the night can cover up the "behaviour" of those at the party.

In the Great Gatsby there is a moments of foreshadowing, the book uses highly romantiscied language however there are only two times when violent imagery is used and they are both against Myrtle. The first is when Myrtle's nose is broken by Tom with a "short deft movement" and later the very violent death of Myrtle "her left breat swinging loose like a flap"
monstersam
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Name:  THEKITERUNNER3.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  101.4 KB
Name:  THEKITERUNNER2.jpg
Views: 1053
Size:  258.8 KB
Name:  ROSETTI.jpg
Views: 1699
Size:  56.4 KB
Name:  KITERUNNER1.jpg
Views: 1449
Size:  416.8 KB

Hope they help, sorry if text is a bit small!

Good Luck!
cocowater
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hey guys! This website is an absolute god-send for Rossetti:

http://www.crossref-it.info/textguid...-Rossetti/28/1

It covers most of the AO's and features all the poems we're studying as well as context + critical interpretations of her poems. And just as a head's up, 'Jessie Cameron' and 'Winter: My Secret' have never been asked about for Rossetti although I wouldn't recommend focusing your revision solely around those two poems because you can never guarantee that they'll come up for tomorrow's exam.

Anyone else doing Rossetti/Kite Runner/Keats/Pride and Prejudice?? I am really stuck on P&P especially, trying to cram in some last minute revision from york notes
daisi
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Got to recommend this one for Rossetti/Jessie Cameron. Just finished it and it's absolutely fantastic:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aspects-Narr...7087223&sr=8-1

There is loads of stuff in here about narrative voice and endings. I never realised it but Winter: My Secret and Jessie Cameron actually compare really well. I read the guide for Winter My Secret as well and i'm really hoping Jessie Cameron or Winter My Secret come up tomorrow. Knowing our luck it'll be Goblin Market or Convent Threshold again.
cocowater
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by daisi)
Got to recommend this one for Rossetti/Jessie Cameron. Just finished it and it's absolutely fantastic:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aspects-Narr...7087223&sr=8-1

There is loads of stuff in here about narrative voice and endings. I never realised it but Winter: My Secret and Jessie Cameron actually compare really well. I read the guide for Winter My Secret as well and i'm really hoping Jessie Cameron or Winter My Secret come up tomorrow. Knowing our luck it'll be Goblin Market or Convent Threshold again.
hahaha, so true, knowing AQA they'll probably do just that! It's obviously too late to order it by post but is it possible to buy it to read online?? Rossetti's poems are really not my forte which ones do you recommend I get??
daisi
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yeah you can buy them to read online. Get the Jessie Cameron and Winter: My Secret ones definitely. Goblin Market is long but well worth getting if there are any sections were you're really weak as the guide does every section in equal detail. Same with Convent Threshold. Royal Princess one is really good for context which my teacher actually got wrong. It's got nothing to do with Marie Antoinette. It's actually more to do with the American Civil War!
daisi
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by fattysaid)
hahaha, so true, knowing AQA they'll probably do just that! It's obviously too late to order it by post but is it possible to buy it to read online?? Rossetti's poems are really not my forte which ones do you recommend I get??
Sorry. I should quote you! New here!
cocowater
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by daisi)
Sorry. I should quote you! New here!
Hey daisi! I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for that amazing link. Seriously, it helped sooooo much! How did you find the exam btw? I wrote about Winter: My Secret for the climaxes/anticlimaxes question in Section B and I memorised some points from the guide which really helped in the exam Thanks again!
daisi
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by fattysaid)
Hey daisi! I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for that amazing link. Seriously, it helped sooooo much! How did you find the exam btw? I wrote about Winter: My Secret for the climaxes/anticlimaxes question in Section B and I memorised some points from the guide which really helped in the exam Thanks again!
I found it OK. I did Goblin Market for section A and Kite Runner, Gatsby and Mariner for Section B. Ran out of time a little bit though. Section A was on the first section of Goblin Market though and that's probably the most detailed section in the guide I used for that so I was lucky in a way. Just really hoped I'd get Jessie Cameron or Winter My Secret though. I felt I knew those best. Wouldn't have got anywhere with Goblin Market though. My teacher was next to useless. We hardly spent any time on it at all.

How'd your exam go? Are you doing Gothic or Pastoral next year?
shana786
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Does anyone have any notes on 'O What is that sound? by Auden? I have an exam this Monday on Aspects of narratives and I am panicking, have nowhere near enough notes to help me revise, the 4 texts I am studying are: The Kite Runner, The Great Gatsby, Christina Rossetti (any analysis on Maude Clare would be great help) and also O What Is That Sound - by Auden. I just thought it might do me good to read on others interpretations and notes to compare and contrast, it would be a great help so someone reply please?
games211
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
can somebody help me with this unit.
I have left it late and have only 30 days to revise.
Please could someone help me!!!
games211
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
????????
Maddiee_xoxo
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by monstersam)
Name:  THEKITERUNNER3.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  101.4 KB
Name:  THEKITERUNNER2.jpg
Views: 1053
Size:  258.8 KB
Name:  ROSETTI.jpg
Views: 1699
Size:  56.4 KB
Name:  KITERUNNER1.jpg
Views: 1449
Size:  416.8 KB

Hope they help, sorry if text is a bit small!

Good Luck!
YOU ARE AN ANGEL OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (63)
41.45%
Take autumn exams (53)
34.87%
Look for a job (3)
1.97%
Consider an apprenticeship (4)
2.63%
Take a year out (20)
13.16%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (9)
5.92%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed