Premier League Final Day Thread

Watch
KingMessi
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
So, once again, we find ourselves at the last day of the Premier League season, and there's still a lot to be decided - namely the destination of the title. Manchester United travel to Sunderland, whilst Manchester City, with a superior goal difference, are at home against QPR. City have the best home record in the league, and QPR have only won three away games all season - surely the only result one could predict is a home win? QPR themselves need to get a point to stay up - Mark Hughes to get revenge over his old employers?

City, should they match or better Manchester United's result, shall be crowned champions of England for the first time in forty-four years.

The next unresolved issue is who will finish third and fourth. Arsenal lie third with sixty-seven points, whilst Tottenham are a point behind with sixty-six. Newcastle United, who have exceeded expectations all year, lie fifth with sixty-five. Newcastle are away at Everton - by no means an easy game. Arsenal have a difficult away tie as well - West Bromwich Albion away, who are aiming to give Roy Hodgson a farewell before he leaves for the England job. Tottenham have, on the face of it, the easier game - at home against Martin Jol's Fulham, who have a notoriously bad away record.

Finally, we come to the bottom of the league - Wolves and Blackburn are already relegated, but Wolves will be aiming to give beleaguered boss Terry Connor his first win in nine games at the helm away to Wigan, who have recovered from a spell of eight consecutive defeats to have secured survival with a game to spare. Blackburn, who have endured a traumatic year, play away at di Matteo's Chelsea team. Neither side has much to play for with regards to the league aside from pride, but Chelsea will have an eye on their Champions League final against Bayern Munich next Saturday - who, incidentally, got beaten 5-2 by Borussia Dortmund last night. The true issue, is, as aforementioned, who will join them in next year's Championship. QPR know a point will ensure survival - it sounds so straighforward - whilst Bolton, two points of safety, have to beat Stoke at home to stand a hope of salvation - a disappointing demise for both Bolton, traditionally one of the most difficult places to visit, and Owen Coyle, one of the brightest managerial prospects in the top flight prior to this season. It's destined to be tense from top down to bottom.

Aside from those issues, Swansea and Norwich are both looking to consolidate what has been a triumphant return to the top flight - both are easily safe, so will enjoy their respective final-day games free from the fear of relegation; Swansea are at home against underachieving Liverpool, whilst Norwich play the disappointing Aston Villa at home - who themselves cannot wait to see the denouement of a dreadful year.

In short, enjoy. It's been a very good season, full of some wonderful games, some 4-4 draws, and even a Fernando Torres hat-trick. Some questions -Manager of the Year? For me it's between Paul Lambert and Brendan Rodgers, although Roberto Mancini of course deserves an honourable mention. Player of the Year seems likely to be between Robin van Persie, with 30 league goals this season, David Silva, Vincent Kompany, and Wayne Rooney, who won't win the Golden Boot this season with only twenty-six goals thus far, but has been impressive on a consistent basis.

What has your Moment of the Season been?
The Best Buy?
The Worst Buy?
The Biggest WUM?
The Best Goal?
Best Save?
Biggest Flop?

And anything else that comes to mind. Enjoy the next few hours...
little_wizard123
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
My ideal outcomes:

City win the league.
Arsenal 3rd.
Chelsea win the CL and take the final 4th spot.
Bolton stay up at the expense of QPR.

Had a bit of a soft spot for Bolton since Coyle came in, and of course Muamba. Plus QPR aren't the most likeable team in the league.

Just hoping for some drama, given Villa are finally safe!
KingMessi
Rep:
?
(Original post by little_wizard123)
My ideal outcomes:

City win the league.
Arsenal 3rd.

Had a bit of a soft spot for Bolton since Coyle came in, and of course Muamba. Plus QPR aren't the most likeable team in the league.

I can't disagree with much there. I would've liked United to win the league as I think that there are some worrying implications if City win, but never mind. Arsenal deserve third, especially after what they've come back from. And I just don't like QPR.
Leelad
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think I might die laughing if 'Arry finishes 4th and Chelsea win the champions league.
little_wizard123
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by KingMessi)
I can't disagree with much there. I would've liked United to win the league as I think that there are some worrying implications if City win, but never mind. Arsenal deserve third, especially after what they've come back from. And I just don't like QPR.
I agree with your point on Utd, City will start favourites no matter who wins this season. But then I just want a different winner this season. Utd may end up on 89 points which is hardly a sign that City are dominant and Utd will fall apart!
KingMessi
Rep:
?
I agree with your point on Utd, City will start favourites no matter who wins this season. But then I just want a different winner this season. Utd may end up on 89 points which is hardly a sign that City are dominant and Utd will fall apart!
Yes - especially given that this is far from a vintage United side and City can hardly have ever had a better side.
StrangerthanEleven
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Great Thread

What I am desperately hoping for:

United win the league
Newcastle get champions league however possible
Chelsea lose champions league (therefore increasing Newcastle's chances of Europe
I would prefer Bolton stay up but ultimately QPR need to take points off city

I hope today is full of DRAMA and GOALS GALORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for Best goal etc:
Best Goal: Cisse against Chelsea...whether you think he meant it or not, I don't care
Best save: Tough one, there has been some super saves but I think Tim Krul as a keeper has impressed me the most
Best buy: Cisse and Arteta have been fantastic. Aguero I feel was worth what was paid for him and has taken well to the premiership
Worst buy: Any of the Liverpool horror buys out of Carroll, Henderson, Downing..take your pick
Best Game: For me United 8-2 hammering of the gooners!!!
CyclopsRock
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Leelad)
I think I might die laughing if 'Arry finishes 4th and Chelsea win the champions league.
Exactly what I'm worried will happen! Since the semi final, I've more or less assumed that anything but 3rd place will mean no CL next year. Last weekend was absolutely torturous for us yids. We had a chance to actually grab it!
KingMessi
Rep:
?
(Original post by hayles101)
Great Thread

What I am desperately hoping for:

United win the league
Newcastle get champions league however possible
Chelsea lose champions league (therefore increasing Newcastle's chances of Europe
I would prefer Bolton stay up but ultimately QPR need to take points off city

I hope today is full of DRAMA and GOALS GALORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for Best goal etc:
Best Goal: Cisse against Chelsea...whether you think he meant it or not, I don't care
Best save: Tough one, there has been some super saves but I think Tim Krul as a keeper has impressed me the most
Best buy: Cisse and Arteta have been fantastic. Aguero I feel was worth what was paid for him and has taken well to the premiership
Worst buy: Any of the Liverpool horror buys out of Carroll, Henderson, Downing..take your pick
Best Game: For me United 8-2 hammering of the gooners!!!
I would very much like the fourth place spot to go to Newcastle, with us finishing third. The last day traditionally has a lot of goals, so hopefully today will be no exception - I want the final Match of the Day to be worth me staying up for!

Can't disagree with best goal, though Crouch deserves his second place...
Tim Krul has been very good - but Michael Vorm deserves a mention. Very cheap and has been consistently solid.
With regards to best buy, people do forget Arteta. However, people have forgotten Demba Ba - remember, he was free,, and had Papiss Cisse not been signed, he could've been third or maybe even second in the Golden Boot table.
Downing has to be the worst buy. Carroll was bought last season, and even if we do count Carroll, he's scored a few. No league goals or assists for a winger playing at a top-six club is literally pathetic.
I enjoyed Manchester United 4 Everton 4 the most, ridiculous game.
KingMessi
Rep:
?
Oh, and biggest flop, for me, is between:

1. The FA, for the catastrophic lead-up to Euro 2012 in the past six months.
2. Wolves, for sacking Mick McCarthy and bringing in Terry Connor.
3. Venkys. Just, Venkys. :lolwut:
4. Stewart Downing.
5. All PL officials - it's been another underwhelming season.
sqwerty
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
My ideal outcomes:

City win the league.
Arsenal 3rd.

It's not possible for Chelsea to finish fourth
Mess.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I hope there is some lovely drama today, causing mass panic everywhere
Xotol
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
What has your Moment of the Season been? RVP last minute goal at Anfield. :coma:
The Best Buy? Demba Ba, what a buy for free :coma:
The Worst Buy? Downing/Henderson etc etc
The Biggest WUM? Hard to say. A lot of deserving candidates :rofl:
The Best Goal? Cisse :coma:
Best Save? A lot of good saves. Hart, Krul, Vorm, De Gea, Szczesny and Cech have all made great saves from memory.
Biggest Flop? Liverpool team as a whole
KingMessi
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mess.)
I hope there is some lovely drama today, causing mass panic everywhere
Balotelli to score a 96th minute equalising own-goal to take the title away from Man City before walking off the pitch wearing a shirt saying 'YOLO'. QPR to stay up as a result of that goal despite Bolton's 93rd minute winner against Stoke for a 6-5 win. Arsenal draw to West Brom, with Roy Hodgson coming on to head in the equaliser; Tottenham draw to Fulham, allowing Papiss Cisse's double to get Newcastle fourth spot.

Emile Heskey scores a hat-trick to give Villa a 3-0 win over Norwich.

It could happen.
Mo-Amin
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
De Gea's last minute save against a Juan Mata special to hold a draw at Chelsea and bring us back to our feet has to be my favourite save of the season.
KyraBloke
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by KingMessi)
Balotelli to score a 96th minute equalising own-goal to take the title away from Man City before walking off the pitch wearing a shirt saying 'YOLO'. QPR to stay up as a result of that goal despite Bolton's 93rd minute winner against Stoke for a 6-5 win. Arsenal draw to West Brom, with Roy Hodgson coming on to head in the equaliser; Tottenham draw to Fulham, allowing Papiss Cisse's double to get Newcastle fourth spot.

Emile Heskey scores a hat-trick to give Villa a 3-0 win over Norwich.

It could happen.
Get yourself down to William hill and put a tenner on it!
MikeySwansea
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by sqwerty)
It's not possible for Chelsea to finish fourth
I think the Little Wizard means Chelsea to win the CL and take their place in the CL at the expense of the team who finishes fourth i.e. take the 4th CL spot
KingMessi
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mo-Amin)
De Gea's last minute save against a Juan Mata special to hold a draw at Chelsea and bring us back to our feet has to be my favourite save of the season.
Actually, even as a Chelsea fan, I can't disagree. That was an extraordinary save...:coma:
Leelad
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The Best Buy?
Cisse, Cabaye, Aguero

The Worst Buy?
Downing, N'Zogbia, Hargreaves (don't know if that's technically a 'buy' actually)

The Biggest WUM?
Wolves board
Blackburn board
Terry

The Best Goal?
Ben Arfa's crazy run, Shelveys the other night was brilliant as well.

Best Save?
De Gea vs Mata

Biggest Flop?
Liverpool
Bolton.
QPR, Joey Barton, Shaun wright Phillips.
Spurs since Capello left England.
KingMessi
Rep:
?
(Original post by KyraBloke)
Get yourself down to William hill and put a tenner on it!
I do William Hill online.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (47)
24.35%
Less motivated (146)
75.65%

Watched Threads