The Student Room Group

Any students here who took ESO instead of GCSE's?

So with all the talk about GCSEs I'm feeling a bit left out because I was schooled in Spain and thus I only have an ESO certificate.

Is there anyone else here who did ESO instead of GCSEs? What did you get? Do you think ESO is an equivalent to the english system or is it better/worse?

Discuss.

Edit: my background: I came to England when I was 16 after ten years of living in Spain. I took my A levels at a sixth form college and now I'm at a uni here. I'm a British native but I moved to Spain when I was 5. When I applied to college and then to university I got a lot of stick for not having GCSEs. One of the requirements of my course at Kent uni, for example, was that I needed a C grade or above in GCSE level maths. I didnt think that I'd have to take a GCSE as well as my A levels, I assumed that my ESO qualification in maths would suffice, so when I got my grades I had to call Kent uni before they recognised that I had met the conditional offer. Also at Henrietta Barnet they were asking for 6 A*s at GCSE which I felt was absurd. Nobody gets that many A's in Spain and I had just spent the past three years at a rubbish state school where the more "insufficientes" (fails) you got, the more popular you were.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by MrHappy_J
So with all the talk about GCSEs I'm feeling a bit left out because I was schooled in Spain and thus I only have an ESO certificate.

Is there anyone else here who did ESO instead of GCSEs? What did you get? Do you think ESO is an equivalent to the english system or is it better/worse?

Discuss.

Edit: my background: I came to England when I was 16 after ten years of living in Spain. I took my A levels at a sixth form college and now I'm at a uni here. I'm a British native but I moved to Spain when I was 5. When I applied to college and then to university I got a lot of stick for not having GCSEs. One of the requirements of my course at Kent uni, for example, was that I needed a C grade or above in GCSE level maths. I didnt think that I'd have to take a GCSE as well as my A levels, I assumed that my ESO qualification in maths would suffice, so when I got my grades I had to call Kent uni before they recognised that I had met the conditional offer. Also at Henrietta Barnet they were asking for 6 A*s at GCSE which I felt was absurd. Nobody gets that many A's in Spain and I had just spent the past three years at a rubbish state school where the more "insufficientes" (fails) you got, the more popular you were.

LOL you're like my clone.

Although I was lucky to leave that terrible country and study GCSEs, I'm sure you'll be pleased to know that if you passed ESO you can go to college.

EDIT:
Though obviously, it's MUCH worse.

EDIT2:
menores
rubbish state school where the more "insufficientes" (fails) you got, the more popular you were. <--- Words of truth, I cannot believe I've finally found someone that has the same views as me.

Hit me up, I guess you had a terrible time at school in Spain too (I got stabbed when I was 12 and the Police couldn't do anything because they were menores (under age) LOL). Hopefully we can share our experiences.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Mr_PC
LOL you're like my clone.

Although I was lucky to leave that terrible country and study GCSEs, I'm sure you'll be pleased to know that if you passed ESO you can go to college.

EDIT:
Though obviously, it's MUCH worse.

At what age did you move back to england? my parents didn't let me move back until id finished my secondary education over there, in a way i wish I could have studied here even if it was just a local comprehensive, it would have been probably a lot better than what i had to go through. I remember getting a lot of crap from my classmates because I could speak English but that's off topic.

just read your edit. Yeah i have similar memories, I was getting bullied by this girl who had no parents, eventually she punched me in the face and my head hit a metal wall that was right behind me. It wasn't funny. nobody seemed to care. I did feel sorry for her because of where she came from but she became so paranoid about me, she thought I was talking about her behind her back and I did no such thing. :/

that's terrible though, the police should have been right on your case.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
At what age did you move back to england? my parents didn't let me move back until id finished my secondary education over there, in a way i wish I could have studied here even if it was just a local comprehensive, it would have been probably a lot better than what i had to go through. I remember getting a lot of crap from my classmates because I could speak English but that's off topic.

just read your edit. Yeah i have similar memories, I was getting bullied by this girl who had no parents, eventually she punched me in the face and my head hit a metal wall that was right behind me. It wasn't funny. nobody seemed to care. I did feel sorry for her because of where she came from but she became so paranoid about me, she thought I was talking about her behind her back and I did no such thing. :/

Well let me say Welcome to England - the best country in the world (if you can ignore the spoilt English kids).

I went there when I was 9, returned when I was 15 for year 10 to do my GCSEs. I passed them all with A/A* with the exception of Maths which was a C. I basically failed everything in Spain.

In my school there was even a few shootings outside though luckily the kids were arrested for that (England has got 5th lowest gun crime in the world, whereas Spain has a medium level). LOL I remember how I used to almost cry myself to sleep at night I was so scared, and I'd do anything to stay awake as I couldn't go to school the next day (I was so scared).

And OMFG classes over there are so freaking noisy aren't they?!

And when my gang of 9 got jumped by 14 people teachers walked passed and didn't stop to help us.

What else happened to you? You sound like you got off lightly from what happened where I was.

BTW nice to meet you, this was meant to be.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Mr_PC
Well let me say Welcome to England - the best country in the world (if you can ignore the spoilt English kids).

I went there when I was 9, returned when I was 15 for year 10 to do my GCSEs. I passed them all with A/A* with the exception of Maths which was a C. I basically failed everything in Spain.

In my school there was even a few shootings outside though luckily the kids were arrested for that (England has got 5th lowest gun crime in the world, whereas Spain has a medium level). LOL I remember how I used to almost cry myself to sleep at night I was so scared, and I'd do anything to stay awake as I couldn't go to school the next day (I was so scared).

And OMFG classes over there are so freaking noisy aren't they?!

And when my gang of 9 got jumped by 14 people teachers walked passed and didn't stop to help us.

What else happened to you? You sound like you got off lightly from what happened where I was.

BTW nice to meet you, this was meant to be.

thanks :smile: is it just me or does everybody here get extremely good grades? anything other than an A is considered to be not good :s-smilie: in spain people were proud if they got a "notable".

it sounds like you had far worse experiences there than i did. Out of curiosity did you go to an IES? I did for three years. I was at a private school before which my family couldn't afford. I guess the difference came as a real shock.

The classes were horrible, our Spanish teacher actually had a nervous breakdown because nobody was paying attention, everyone was talking and doing their own thing. People used to throw stuff at each other (including bags and chairs) and would only stop when the teacher came in.
Overall the standard was very low except for one or two good teachers. And let's not even talk about the horrible school meals we had to endure. When I started there my grades were high, but by the end of my last year I had been brought down to their level. They had a leavers' "ball" (:rolleyes:) which I didn't go to. I'd had enough by then.
The school was vandalized once, there was nazi grafitti on the wall and the solar panels that had been installed were smashed in.

I just remember walking down the corridor in the morning and getting that sensation that nobody likes me. I dreaded going to school every day. I just put my head down and minded my own business but I still couldn't avoid having one outbreak or two when they were really getting on my nerves, throwing chalks at me when they thought the teacher wasn't watching.

oh and once, I was walking back home with one of my few friends, when a stampede of people from my class came running towards us. they chased her all the way to her home as it was near and they knew where she lived. luckily they didn't know where i lived. i felt so bad for her afterwards. i seem to remember her crying at school practically every day. between her and me we were probably the most unpopular people at the school.

oh and PE= possibly the worst class i had to endure. we actually lost points if we didn't shower, even if it was the middle of winter, the water was freezing cold and nobody had a hairdrier (i dont think we were allowed to use them and there were no sockets in the changing room). everybody used to go back to class with their hair still soaking wet. I was scared of catching pneumonia.

rant over.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
This will be my last message today as I need to study for tomorrow (Spanish and Economics in the same day).

I went to a private school for year 8, so no, and then year 10 (skip year 9 please) I did normal GCSE. If I stayed in Spain in the private school I would've done iGCSE.

I'm the same, except no one stopped when the teacher came in. People used to smoke drugs too.

I only liked three teachers (Science and two neighbours, no clue what they teach).

Food was overpriced pizza and chocolate, so wasn't too bad (primary school was TERRIBLE though, pink chickens that weren't cooked).

Yep, gtafiti used to appear daily with gang crap, we never got any solar panels but all of the teachers laptops were stolen (when I left teachers got laptops and they got stolen), they still use black boards :s-smilie: (I love the electronic whiteboards in the UK).

I had to make friends with people I hated or I would have been more hurt (still got marks today from it all). One friend I even went to the Police Station with to put in a denuncia (sad I don't know the word in English) and years later (when I was back in the UK) I found he's stolen code (I taught myself to program computer applications in Spain as I couldn't do anything else) so 5 years of friendship, everything I did for him down the drain.

P.S How old are you? I'm 17.
Reply 6
Original post by Mr_PC
This will be my last message today as I need to study for tomorrow (Spanish and Economics in the same day).

I went to a private school for year 8, so no, and then year 10 (skip year 9 please) I did normal GCSE. If I stayed in Spain in the private school I would've done iGCSE.

I'm the same, except no one stopped when the teacher came in. People used to smoke drugs too.

I only liked three teachers (Science and two neighbours, no clue what they teach).

Food was overpriced pizza and chocolate, so wasn't too bad (primary school was TERRIBLE though, pink chickens that weren't cooked).

Yep, gtafiti used to appear daily with gang crap, we never got any solar panels but all of the teachers laptops were stolen (when I left teachers got laptops and they got stolen), they still use black boards :s-smilie: (I love the electronic whiteboards in the UK).

I had to make friends with people I hated or I would have been more hurt (still got marks today from it all). One friend I even went to the Police Station with to put in a denuncia (sad I don't know the word in English) and years later (when I was back in the UK) I found he's stolen code (I taught myself to program computer applications in Spain as I couldn't do anything else) so 5 years of friendship, everything I did for him down the drain.

P.S How old are you? I'm 17.

Pizza and chocolate? wow. at my school yogurt for desserts was considered a treat, let alone pizza. the food was usually overboiled vegetables and some form of disgusting burnt meat as a second. There were "guards" standing in front of bins. If we hadn't eaten all of it we weren't allowed to give our trays back. we had to stay there until we'd eaten it all. yuck. I dont think mediterranean food works when you have to cook it in large quantities at a canteen.

I think the term you're looking for is to file a report. wow that sucks :frown:

any computers at my IES were desktops stuck firmly on tables so nobody could take them :smile: haha.

i think i would have done better at an international school or in england.

yeah id better get along too, i have uni exams to study for :smile: good luck with yours.

oh, i'm 20 now, so all this happened quite a long time ago now. still, some things you just don't forget.

i enjoyed talking to you too x
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Pizza and chocolate? wow. at my school yogurt for desserts was considered a treat, let alone pizza. the food was usually overboiled vegetables and some form of disgusting burnt meat as a second. There were "guards" standing in front of bins. If we hadn't eaten all of it we weren't allowed to give our trays back. we had to stay there until we'd eaten it all. yuck. I dont think mediterranean food works when you have to cook it in large quantities at a canteen.

I think the term you're looking for is to file a report. wow that sucks :frown:

any computers at my IES were desktops stuck firmly on tables so nobody could take them :smile: haha.

i think i would have done better at an international school or in england.

yeah id better get along too, i have uni exams to study for :smile: good luck with yours.

oh, i'm 20 now, so all this happened quite a long time ago now. still, some things you just don't forget.

i enjoyed talking to you too x

Forgot you were a girl.

I guess Spain was still **** all that time ago.

In primary school the bins were guarded too LOL.

And you're 100% right, you can't make that type of food in large quantities!

Yeah well what we experienced will change the way we make decisions. In a way I'm glad it happened (despite the injuries) as now I'm able to think about things a different way, and while I love business and economics, I don't have this greed most people do.

You're lucky we had no computers etc... and this was in 2006.

Erm, Private Message me your Skype or msn so we can talk again sometime. I never actually expected to meet someone that has had the same experience as me.

All the best!
Reply 8
Original post by Mr_PC
Forgot you were a girl.

I guess Spain was still **** all that time ago.

In primary school the bins were guarded too LOL.

And you're 100% right, you can't make that type of food in large quantities!

Yeah well what we experienced will change the way we make decisions. In a way I'm glad it happened (despite the injuries) as now I'm able to think about things a different way, and while I love business and economics, I don't have this greed most people do.

You're lucky we had no computers etc... and this was in 2006.

Erm, Private Message me your Skype or msn so we can talk again sometime. I never actually expected to meet someone that has had the same experience as me.

All the best!

oh we didn't have access to computers unless it was for ICT classes. i dont recall seeing a single laptop on the premises.

what grades did you end up getting if you dont mind my asking? I think i failed 2 subjects.
Reply 9
oh we didn't have access to computers unless it was for ICT classes. i dont recall seeing a single laptop on the premises.

what grades did you end up getting if you dont mind my asking? I think i failed 2 subjects.

Ask whatever (though I'm off again, this was my much needed break, unless you can answer some very quick and simple Economics/Business questions?).

I could never pass: Lengua Castellana, Geography/History, Art, and Maths.

Back in UK I got A/A* in everything but a C in Maths so I'm happy.

So... can you help me with Economics? Different questions to the thread I made earlier if you saw it.
Reply 10
Original post by Mr_PC
Ask whatever (though I'm off again, this was my much needed break, unless you can answer some very quick and simple Economics/Business questions?).

I could never pass: Lengua Castellana, Geography/History, Art, and Maths.

Back in UK I got A/A* in everything but a C in Maths so I'm happy.

So... can you help me with Economics? Different questions to the thread I made earlier if you saw it.

ooh i forgot you ended up taking gcses. i failed PE, Spanish and Technology I think, i can't remember exactly now.

i'm not sure id be very good at economics but i'll check out the thread. x
Reply 11
ooh i forgot you ended up taking gcses. i failed PE, Spanish and Technology I think, i can't remember exactly now.

i'm not sure id be very good at economics but i'll check out the thread. x

No no, not the thread I made earlier, some NEW questions.

BRB let me find them.

EDIT - check these, and correct please (I know some are obvious but better safe than sorry right?):

Social trends == Basically fashions etc... right?

Positioning a business

Sales volume

P.S What're you studying in university?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
By the looks of the thread, schooling in spain is gassed
Reply 13
Original post by Mr_PC

BRB let me find them.

ok PM me them if you want but i can't guarentee i'll be of help. I'm more of a humanities person.
Reply 14
It is unless you have money.
Reply 15
It is unless you have money.

Money for what?
Why do you guys get beat up over there? lmao
Reply 16
Original post by Mr_PC

BRB let me find them.

EDIT - check these, and correct please (I know some are obvious but better safe than sorry right?):

Social trends == Basically fashions etc... right?

Positioning a business

Sales volume

P.S What're you studying in university?

...i've no idea what you're on about :eek: sorry :/ I study Psychology and Sociology.

I wish you the best of luck and I hope that someone on tsr can be of help x
Reply 17
Nah, they'd take it and beat you up LOL.

Money for private schools, healthcare, etc...

Amazes me how so many people hate the UK, I've been all around the world, I've got a multicultural family, and we all agree that the UK is the safest and the best country (don't mention knife crime, it's easy to disarm someone from a knife).
Reply 18
To go to a private school/ international obv.

I expect these things occur sometimes in this country too. It's just what happens if you're unpopular. Some people are retarded. Hardly something to laugh about.
Reply 19
To go to a private school/ international obv.

I expect these things occur sometimes in this country too. It's just what happens if you're unpopular. Some people are retarded. Hardly something to laugh about.

It does happen in the UK too, but it's far worse in Spain.

UK's education system is harder yet we have a higher pass rate.
Kids are better behaved.
Books are free/deposit.
Teachers are paid more here.
It's cheaper here.
The government gives more support/learning resources.

Anyway, enough of this.

Quick Reply

Latest