The Student Room Group

Year Abroad 2012/13 Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by oxymoronic
You will be eligible for whatever you are normally eligible for in the UK, so any maintenance loans/grants. You don't need a tuition fees loan as you won't be paying any (assuming you have an Erasmus funded place) and you will be sent additional information by your home university about the Erasmus grants as these are administered by your home university. You will be given this money in 3 instalments during the academic year and it is in addition to everything you receive from student finance.

Don't you pay what you'd normally pay, just no fees to the placement uni? So in England you'd be paying your English universities fees and in Scotland you do SAAS as normal etc.

Also we've been told Erasmus grants have changed this year, you're getting it in one big lot rather than staged. Which is worrying if you're not good at saving but pretty useful for flat deposits and things :smile:

Got my confirmation today, going to Genova :biggrin:
im trying to write my motivation letter hate doing stuff like this urgh :argh: applying to go to esc rennes in france, deadline is in a week but having had exams this month havent had the time to do it until now :pinch:
Original post by conway!
Don't you pay what you'd normally pay, just no fees to the placement uni? So in England you'd be paying your English universities fees and in Scotland you do SAAS as normal etc.

No, if you have an Erasmus funded place you don't pay anything (which obviously makes no difference to people who get their fees paid for by SAAS but it makes a difference to the non Scottish UK people who do pay fees) but if you go on exchange outside of the EU on a non Erasmus funded place, then you pay tuition fees as normal. So yes, if you were going to Canada, for example, then someone from Scotland would pay nothing as they pay nothing in Scotland and someone from England would pay their normal tuition fees.

Also we've been told Erasmus grants have changed this year, you're getting it in one big lot rather than staged. Which is worrying if you're not good at saving but pretty useful for flat deposits and things :smile:

You get it at the start of the year then? What if you drop out and come back home, do you have to pay it back?
Original post by eugenius 8
im trying to write my motivation letter hate doing stuff like this urgh :argh: applying to go to esc rennes in france, deadline is in a week but having had exams this month havent had the time to do it until now :pinch:

:hugs: you'll manage it :yep:
No, if you have an Erasmus funded place you don't pay anything (which obviously makes no difference to people who get their fees paid for by SAAS but it makes a difference to the non Scottish UK people who do pay fees) but if you go on exchange outside of the EU on a non Erasmus funded place, then you pay tuition fees as normal. So yes, if you were going to Canada, for example, then someone from Scotland would pay nothing as they pay nothing in Scotland and someone from England would pay their normal tuition fees.

I think you generally pay half fees if you're going outside the EU, plus whatever the foreign university charges. That's the case for Russia and Latin America anyway - Canada might be different!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Zoedotdot
I think you generally pay half fees if you're going outside the EU, plus whatever the foreign university charges. That's the case for Russia and Latin America anyway - Canada might be different!

I just continue paying to Glasgow, I just have to prove that I have enough money for that and then $10,000 dollars for living costs.
Reply 46
Original post by greeneyedgirl
I just continue paying to Glasgow, I just have to prove that I have enough money for that and then $10,000 dollars for living costs.

Same for me, for Edinburgh Uni. So because I'm from Scotland and SAAS pay my tuition anyway, I'm paying for my accommodation abroad & food/health insurance/travel, etc.
Original post by daeonica
Same for me, for Edinburgh Uni. So because I'm from Scotland and SAAS pay my tuition anyway, I'm paying for my accommodation abroad & food/health insurance/travel, etc.

It's a good deal...I assume it's because it's an exchange so each uni still gets the same amount of money :yep:

When I went to China during the Olympics you had to prove that you had US$100 for each day that you planned on being in China when you applied for your visa otherwise they wouldn't grant it. $100 is a lot for the US, let alone China where everything is much cheaper!! Cue lots of photoshopping of bank accounts (we wanted 1 month visas) and transferring of money around in order to get a decent enough looking print out... They were desperately trying to keep back packers out as you had to include details of your entire trip, have evidence of your plans to leave China and generally they were just really annoying about it.

When I went back in 2010 so many of those restrictions were no longer in place as they were only there for the Olympics.

Makes me wonder what the UK has done with it's visa restrictions for non EU people.
:hugs: you'll manage it :yep:

i stayed up the whole night in the library to do it :mmm: posted it in the morning so all sorted :yep:

couldnt leave it any longer, i got 3 exams next week to revise for :mmm: :work:

:hugs:
Original post by eugenius 8
i stayed up the whole night in the library to do it :mmm: posted it in the morning so all sorted :yep:

couldnt leave it any longer, i got 3 exams next week to revise for :mmm: :work:

:hugs:

:woo: exciting!

Ouch, good luck with that revision!
:woo: exciting!

Ouch, good luck with that revision!

Sounds awesome! A few of my modules (experimental psycholinguistics :woo:) aren't offered here either!

Yeah I'd love to visit Scandinavian Arctic :yep:

Should be about £600 return for me which isn't too bad I guess! I think I'm going to buy tickets mid-June which will be when I get my exam results therefore confirmation I've got into year abroad...just in case :colondollar:

Hey sorry for the very late reply, I'm in the middle of exams!

Experimental psycholinguistics? I have absolutely no idea what that might entail lol. What do you study in that module?

Is that an open return? You get your results in mid-June?! Lucky! I have to wait until early-mid July. I think I'll do the same as you. If I have enough money I will go to Hong Kong early - probably late August. I have to be there by early September and classes start in mid-September. Feels like an age away right now. When are you planning on going to Calgary?
Original post by chr1stopher11
Hey sorry for the very late reply, I'm in the middle of exams!

Experimental psycholinguistics? I have absolutely no idea what that might entail lol. What do you study in that module?

Is that an open return? You get your results in mid-June?! Lucky! I have to wait until early-mid July. I think I'll do the same as you. If I have enough money I will go to Hong Kong early - probably late August. I have to be there by early September and classes start in mid-September. Feels like an age away right now. When are you planning on going to Calgary?

No worries.

Experimental psycholinguistics = "Exploration of the cognitive, neuropsychological, and social processes that underlie language abilities, with reference to linguistic theory. A laboratory component provides experience with methodologies used to study language behaviour." basically it's kinda the psychology behind language :yep:

Nah that's coming back at Christmas (I just don't think I could do Christmas away from family...) I'm going start of September :yep:
No worries.

Experimental psycholinguistics = "Exploration of the cognitive, neuropsychological, and social processes that underlie language abilities, with reference to linguistic theory. A laboratory component provides experience with methodologies used to study language behaviour." basically it's kinda the psychology behind language :yep:

Nah that's coming back at Christmas (I just don't think I could do Christmas away from family...) I'm going start of September :yep:

:eek: Wow that sounds really complicated, I don't envy you! :tongue:

K. I'm not planning on going back home until I finish the year. It's a bit too expensive. Besides I think I'd rather spend time travelling during the holidays.

There are people on my course that are going to Australia and they begin in July! :eek: They don't have much of a holiday!

I'm going to buy a teach yourself Cantonese kit so I can learn some basic phrases before I leave which I am actually looking forward to a lot. I learnt some Korean last semester and I really enjoyed learning a language completely different from English so I should enjoy Cantonese. Although I envisage learning all the tones will be difficult. I have a few friends who speak Cantonese so I can practice my pronunciation with them. Do you have to do much to prepare yourself for your year abroad?
:eek: Wow that sounds really complicated, I don't envy you! :tongue:

K. I'm not planning on going back home until I finish the year. It's a bit too expensive. Besides I think I'd rather spend time travelling during the holidays.

There are people on my course that are going to Australia and they begin in July! :eek: They don't have much of a holiday!

I'm going to buy a teach yourself Cantonese kit so I can learn some basic phrases before I leave which I am actually looking forward to a lot. I learnt some Korean last semester and I really enjoyed learning a language completely different from English so I should enjoy Cantonese. Although I envisage learning all the tones will be difficult. I have a few friends who speak Cantonese so I can practice my pronunciation with them. Do you have to do much to prepare yourself for your year abroad?

Fair enough, I just would find not being at home over Christmas horrible :sadnod:

Ahhh I know, it's what put me off a southern hemisphere uni :yep:

Good plan, so exciting to learn a new language :ahee: Not much prep really, visas and all that stuff, plus going to try and find out rules of ice hockey :gah:
Reply 56

You get it at the start of the year then? What if you drop out and come back home, do you have to pay it back?

That's weird - we were told we had to apply for funding as normal, as though we were at our home uni, and there's an option on SAAS for studying abroad tuition funding etc. Possibly all completely different if your year's compulsory or not. I've no idea really, just know what they put on a big powerpoint a few weeks ago :P I don't know what they do about people dropping out, I assume we'll have to sign a contract saying we'll give it back if we don't complete the year or something.
Fair enough, I just would find not being at home over Christmas horrible :sadnod:

Ahhh I know, it's what put me off a southern hemisphere uni :yep:

Good plan, so exciting to learn a new language :ahee: Not much prep really, visas and all that stuff, plus going to try and find out rules of ice hockey :gah:

Hey :smile:. I've finished my exams so I'm now beginning to move onto thinking/preparing for study abroad. I recently got told that I find out whether or not I have got the 60% necessary for study abroad in late June and then in mid-July I find out my exact percentage so I'll just book my plane tickets in late June.

Have you not finished your visa application? Is ice hockey big in Canada?
Hey :smile:. I've finished my exams so I'm now beginning to move onto thinking/preparing for study abroad. I recently got told that I find out whether or not I have got the 60% necessary for study abroad in late June and then in mid-July I find out my exact percentage so I'll just book my plane tickets in late June.

Have you not finished your visa application? Is ice hockey big in Canada?

Ahhh that's good, at least that means you're not waiting till mid-July :yep:

No, visa application is still on going, luckily I've got plenty of time :yep:

Ice hockey is massive in Canada!
Anyone else going to America?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending