AS Religious studies NOTES: Utilitarianism, Situation ethics, Religious Experience

Watch this thread
a.stokes
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Here are the notes I've put together for Utilitarianism, Situation ethics & Religious experience. The Religious experience aren't yet finished but I'll upload the completed ones when they are. I'll also be doing Atheism & Post-modernism over the next few days..
They don't have many A02 evaluation points in as I've mostly done these on big posters I'm afraid, but I hope they'll help someone out there for the exam on Wednesday
I know it's hard to find anyone doing RS on AQA :\

Hope it helps
headunderwater
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 years ago
I did RS on AQA at A Level and I would've found these notes very useful. Don't exactly know why I'm replying to a post three years after I took the exam :P

I'm sure anybody who's doing this exam will find them useful
iHumpTeddyBears
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
The mystical experience isn't completed on the last link.
a.stokes
Rep:
Thank you It's taken me a while to put them together, so I thought sharing is caring and all hahaa!
a.stokes
Rep:
(Original post by iHumpTeddyBears)
The mystical experience isn't completed on the last link.
I know, I'm doing the mystical experience section now, but just thought I'd upload what I've done so far. I'll upload the rest later on.
iHumpTeddyBears
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by a.stokes)
I know, I'm doing the mystical experience section now, but just thought I'd upload what I've done so far. I'll upload the rest later on.
Oh ok, Thanks it'll really help.
a.stokes
Rep:
No problem
Here's an essay on 'Examine the different forms of religious experience' which I did in the beginning of the school year just after we finished the topic. It got me a B (21/30), and the main things that let me down is that I used bullet points and didn't give examples of conversions (moral, social & intellectual which are in the notes). But there's a lot of quotes and information on the different forms including mystical if that helps for now.
Attached files
seafolk
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Hey! I'm doing AQA too, the same units as you are. Have you revised all 8 topics? Learning all of them in detail is just too much for me, I've gone for the risky strategy of picking four and going through them really well...
xxZazxx
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by seafolk)
Hey! I'm doing AQA too, the same units as you are. Have you revised all 8 topics? Learning all of them in detail is just too much for me, I've gone for the risky strategy of picking four and going through them really well...
our school only taught us 6 out of the 8 lol, i'm doing the same as you, 4 in detail...yup lol risky, but as long as we've covered everything it should go ok, some of the stuff on the specification that they could ask isn't really covered in the textbook which is annoying. i still feel unprepared though, RE has taken a back seat as i've got loads of maths/science exams to revise for , not sure why I took RE with chem, bio and maths lol
NilabKebab
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Hey! I do AQA and I am quite worried about the wordings of questions, sometimes the way they phrase questions can make it hard to understand....I also am taking a risky strategy in revising 4... Good luck everyone!
seafolk
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
I know what you mean, particularly for part B questions, the wording can be annoying - and you only have like 10 minutes or something! Come on, what the hell us up with the timings!
How much were you advised to write for each question by the way? And are you learning quotes etc.

I'm really pleased to hear learning 4 seems to be the general trend, I was stressing about that!
seafolk
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
I know what you mean, particularly for part B questions, the wording can be annoying - and you only have like 10 minutes or something! Come on, what the hell is up with the timings!?
How much were you advised to write for each question by the way? And are you learning quotes etc.

I'm really pleased to hear learning 4 seems to be the general trend, I was stressing about that!
NilabKebab
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
We were advised to spend 25 minutes on part A and about 12minutes on part B...you really dont get enough time to think lol. Part A is pretty much written diarrhea.... just throw everything you know on the paper LOL
NilabKebab
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Oh yah I am learning quotes, not sure about the actual scriptures like John10:10...
hopefully my timing will be finee!
xxZazxx
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
i can't imagine that they expect a lot from us in the time available, i saw an essay that got full marks, and tbh it wasn't outstanding or anything, no quotes, not very long and a few spelling errors, just lots of examples given, i think giving example is the key to success
seafolk
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Do you remember where you saw this full marks essay?

I know the time is so short! Our teacher tells us we need to write 4 sides for part A though 0_0 even the exemplar on AQA's website aren't that long... And I can only write a page in 8 minutes so great xD
a.stokes
Rep:
(Original post by seafolk)
I know what you mean, particularly for part B questions, the wording can be annoying - and you only have like 10 minutes or something!
About the part B questions... On the AQA website you can find the specification, under each unit it lists the topics and everything within the topic you need to know. In a pale purple box it then says the 'Issues arising' within each topic, and there's usually 3-4 bullet points.
Basically, any A02 question you could be asked is just one of these bullet points reworded.
For example, for Utilitarianism, it says
*Which is more important, the ending of pain and suffering or the increase of pleasure.
They can reword this in a number of ways, but as long as you know about 3 for and 3 against points for EVERY bullet point you'll be safe, if you can recognise which issues arising bullet point it's referring to. I know this sounds way confusing but it helps!

Here's the link to the AQA Religious Studies AS specification... http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-2060-W-SP.PDF
Ethics is pages 8-9 (Utilitarianism, Situation Ethics, Abortion & Euthanasia, Nature and Value of Human Life)
Philosophy of Religion is pages 12-13 (Religous experience, Cosmological argument, Atheism & Postmodernism, Psychology)

Hope this helps!!!
a.stokes
Rep:
Also.. here's my Religious Experience complete revision notes
Attached files
seafolk
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
I've revised that way for part B as well, planning arguments for and against the ones in the topic boxes
a.stokes
Rep:
It's going to make life SO much easier My ethics teacher gave us a printout of the specification for her topics in the beginning of the year.. I wish my philosophy teacher did too They already say that people generally do better in ethics.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (29)
17.68%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (41)
25%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (85)
51.83%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (9)
5.49%

Watched Threads