The Student Room Group

Walking out of exams?

If I walked out of an exam like half way through, would I get disqualified from it, or would they just take my paper how it was, and mark it like that? I have a two hour exam in June, and I've finished all of the practise papers with over an hour to spare, could I just walk out or what?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The invigilator will let you know the procedures once in the exam.

Good luck!
Reply 2
I'm pretty sure you have to stay in the exam even if you finish it early because this can disrupt over people and I have finished exams early before and they have said before that you have to say and not talk to the person behind you when you have finished etc.If you have finished early then you should check your answers-I have corrected silly mistakes on exams before and if ity is an essay exam then you can often add another point because you often never have enough time to express everything you could say.
Reply 3
I don't know about school/sixth form exams- you certainly can at uni- nobody leaves within the first hour or final half hour, but when I was at school it was unheard of so I doubt it (but that could have just been my school).

Could also be an issue with the school having to know where you are for attendance/fire regulation purposes too.
Different places have different procedures. Our school would make us stay in the hall because the number of people who left and then realised they'd got something wrong and wanted to come back in was shocking. Obviously you can't get back in once you leave. My college made people stay until the end as well, but my uni let us leave anything between 30 mins into the exam and 15 mins before the end.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Different places have different procedures. Our school would make us stay in the hall because the number of people who left and then realised they'd got something wrong and wanted to come back in was shocking. Obviously you can't get back in once you leave. My college made people stay until the end as well, but my uni let us leave anything between 30 mins into the exam and 15 mins before the end.

A little bit off-topic but...........I love you weight loss blog. So inspiring.
Reply 6
The way it works with my school is that about half way through the exam, the invigilator will tell us that we;re half way through and can leave quietly if we're finished and have looked over our work sufficiently.
I'm sure we've all heard the TSR myth that someone on their philosophy university exam when faced with the question "What is risk?", replied "This is risk" and then left the exam hall, and then went on to get a first.

However OP you should never really leave an exam early unless there are scheduling problems with other exams.
Disqualified over here.
Original post by ..lauren
The way it works with my school is that about half way through the exam, the invigilator will tell us that we;re half way through and can leave quietly if we're finished and have looked over our work sufficiently.

That can't be allowed :0
You can leave and text your mate, whom just went to the 'toilet', all the answers while you're able to converse with other people. Sure this is exaggerated, but the risks are there and should be avoided at all costs /examiner mind.
Reply 10
You MUST stay in the examination room until told to leave, partly for the same reason that everybody in the country does the exam at the same time.

Otherwise I believe you would be at least disqualified from the exam, but most likely from other exams with that exam board (and possibly others)
Reply 11
If your in secondary school or 6th form i imagine you'd get in trouble for it
Reply 12
Original post by Id and Ego seek
That can't be allowed :0
You can leave and text your mate, whom just went to the 'toilet', all the answers while you're able to converse with other people. Sure this is exaggerated, but the risks are there and should be avoided at all costs /examiner mind.

They don't let us go to the toilet, haha! In my prelims I had to leave three times to be sick in one of them right enough... but I was supervised out to the toilet. I suppose I could have had my phone or whatever but it wasn't proper exams. Anyway, main point, they let us leave half way through if we want; cheating would be too difficult and probably too late/pointless in this circumstance anyway.
Reply 13
Original post by lizz-ie
If I walked out of an exam like half way through, would I get disqualified from it, or would they just take my paper how it was, and mark it like that? I have a two hour exam in June, and I've finished all of the practise papers with over an hour to spare, could I just walk out or what?

You are not allowed out of GCSE and A level exams (which last over an hour) for the first hour in order to prevent you from talking to someone starting late elsewhere. After that it is up to your school's policy.
Original post by noodles!
I don't know about school/sixth form exams- you certainly can at uni- nobody leaves within the first hour or final half hour, but when I was at school it was unheard of so I doubt it (but that could have just been my school).

Could also be an issue with the school having to know where you are for attendance/fire regulation purposes too.

Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox

Why don't they let you leave near the end?

At my school the invigilators watch for people who have stopped working, then they go over and collect their papers and the person leaves.

I only stay in school long enough to finish my paper, left an exam 45 minutes early the other day.
We are allowed out. It depends on the invigilator you get when you can leave (e.g. half an hour in, an hour in or whenever you like). We either get told this at the start or get told to put our hand up and the invigilator will collect our papers. People have to leave one at a time though.

In my phyics exam (general) There was only three of us stayed right until the end.
Reply 16
uni let's us leave after half an hour.But for A-levels we had to stay for the duration
Do it an hour and then be all like, 'Screw you guys... I'm going home'
Reply 18
depends how early you finish.... if you do end up finishing and hour early just put your hand up and ask if you can leave because you have finished the exam, my gf does it alot cuz she always finishes early
Can the examinations officer stop the exam half way through and speak to a student? If so for what reason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending