This discussion is closed.
cheesy
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I've already got a good degree from a relatively good uni (Leeds University - but I'm sure cobra will have something to say about that!). I've found it's opened no doors so trying something more vocational. 100% students gain employment in the field - how is that unsuccessful?
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Its a load of crap, my uni tend to take people on with low A level grades (220 points for my course) some of the people with lower points don't do well and don't graudate. The graduates who get 2:1s are good quality and will probably get a good job out of it.

Salford finds it hard to attract the best students simply because of its location but this dosn't mean its a bad university. I know plenty of Salford graduates who now have very good jobs. Yet its ranked 68 in the league tables.

The league tables never show the full story and only half of it. I could have got into Lancaster but I couldn't afford to move out which is why I choose Salford because its just down the road.
cobra
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by cheesy)
I've already got a good degree from a relatively good uni (Leeds University - but I'm sure cobra will have something to say about that!). I've found it's opened no doors so trying something more vocational. 100% students gain employment in the field - how is that unsuccessful?
Leeds is a big step up from leeds met
viviki
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Its a load of crap, my uni tend to take people on with low A level grades (220 points for my course) some of the people with lower points don't do well and don't graudate. The graduates who get 2:1s are good quality and will probably get a good job out of it.

Salford finds it hard to attract the best students simply because of its location but this dosn't mean its a bad university. I know plenty of Salford graduates who now have very good jobs. Yet its ranked 68 in the league tables.

The league tables never show the full story and only half of it. I could have got into Lancaster but I couldn't afford to move out which is why I choose Salford because its just down the road.
Indeed the league tables do only tell half the story, i think that fact that Bradford has such a good teaching rep for certain subjects indicates that it isnt crap. My dad got his degree at Wolverhampton uni which is near the bottom of the league tables because he couldnt afford to uproot the whole family for the sake of his degree and neither he nor any of his friends had any trouble getting employment when they graduated.
cobra
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by viviki)
Indeed the league tables do only tell half the story, i think that fact that Bradford has such a good teaching rep for certain subjects indicates that it isnt crap.
Thats true, but i think the percieved reputation matters in general life more than the actual reality
cheesy
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I graduated a few years ago and a lot of the people I went to uni with at good old Leeds Uni are in the same boat as me - stuck in a rut! The uni has sod all to do with it anymore. A 2:1 from a good uni is ten a penny - making sure you chose the right course that leeds to a job is what's important.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by cobra01977)
Thats true, but i think the percieved reputation matters in general life more than the actual reality
No because in my experience bosses know that the university dosn't matter too much especialy in it. I mean in half the interviews I have had he intervees were actualy graduates of my uni so in with that kind of odds I am not worried at all.

What matters is the person and what the person has to offer the firm, the degree is just a way of filtering out the people for interview.
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by cheesy)
Are you at uni yourself cobra?
Probably a student at 'Thames Va;;ey University'

(Try and sue us TVU! You cant! Yet another bad joke at your expense)
giddychick
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yes i got rejected from leeds met but, as it is a subject that attracts over 1500 applicants for just the 50 places I do not think that it something to be ashamed of!! Most of the so called 'elitist universities' do not offer the vocational course I want to do so why shouldnt I apply to them? I want to study physiotherapy because it leads onto an excellent career, it has got nothing to do with the fact that everybody now seems to be doing a degree!!
Ladyluck
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by piginapoke)
I applied to a 'top' uni. They didn't answer. When I phoned up, they said all the places had been filled. Strange, my mate who also applied with poorer predicted grades got accepted. Gits.
What uni was it- cmon name and shame!! If you take the time to apply to them, the least they can do is send a nice "thanks but sorry" letter!!
rah
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ladyluck)
What uni was it- cmon name and shame!! If you take the time to apply to them, the least they can do is send a nice "thanks but sorry" letter!!
UCL did that to my friend last year, she rang up in about march to see what was going on and the woman said basically they had a whole pile of ucas forms still lying around which would never be looked at because they simply had too many applicants-for medicine btw

seems like a bit of a stupid system but ah well
Peapod
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by cobra01977)
Thats worse, by the way, i dont mean these comments as a personal insult to people, i'm just very elitist and see little point in people doin degrees which they only need cos everyone else is getting them
You don't like people doing degrees becuase they NEED them? Hmm!
Hope lyou don't get struck by lightning mate......not.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (142)
37.08%
Take autumn exams (121)
31.59%
Look for a job (12)
3.13%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.44%
Take a year out (67)
17.49%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (24)
6.27%

Watched Threads