Are workplace policies discriminatory towards visible tattoos?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
HolleeJane
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Opinions needed! do you think Policies are discriminatory towards employees with visible tattoos ? Does anyone have a tattoo that's on show in work? Or are you forced to cover it up?
TenOfThem
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No
Yes
N/A
M1011
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Not at a tattoo parlour... :hmmm:

I think you're going to need to be a bit more specific.
SpicyStrawberry
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If your job is a customer-facing role it's often the case that visible tattoos are a faux pas, but it really depends on the company and the role.
HolleeJane
Rep:
?
(Original post by M1011)
Not at a tattoo parlour... :hmmm:

I think you're going to need to be a bit more specific.
Obviously if you work in the tattoo industry you're not going to be discriminated against...I was talking more the lines of teachers, hospital workers, supermarket staff...you know companies which ARE NOT tattoo palours that indefinitely will have tattoo/dress code policies.
Pindar
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's so wrong in this day and age that employers can discriminate based on the colour of your skin...
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by HolleeJane)
Obviously if you work in the tattoo industry you're not going to be discriminated against...I was talking more the lines of teachers, hospital workers, supermarket staff...you know companies which ARE NOT tattoo palours that indefinitely will have tattoo/dress code policies.
Of course such places discriminate against potential employees with visible tattoos if they don't want such things visible to customers. How else would they make sure their employees projected the right image? This is perfectly legal and reasonable.
HolleeJane
Rep:
?
Helpful!
HolleeJane
Rep:
?
(Original post by Good bloke)
Of course such places discriminate against potential employees with visible tattoos if they don't want such things visible to customers. How else would they make sure their employees projected the right image? This is perfectly legal and reasonable.
I don't agree, everyone is entitled to freedom of expression, its a human right and if an employee does have a visible tattoo it is not going to affect how the company competes in its market place nor does it show that the employee is any less qualified for the role so companies are discriminating based on looks and perceptions
HolleeJane
Rep:
?
(Original post by Stefan1991)
It's so wrong in this day and age that employers can discriminate based on the colour of your skin...
They all need to wake up and smell the coffee
Colour Me Pretty
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yep.

Places like Mcdonalds and Hollister do. Hence why my tattoos are covered easily.
HolleeJane
Rep:
?
(Original post by Colour Me Pretty)
Yep.

Places like Mcdonalds and Hollister do. Hence why my tattoos are covered easily.
A friend of mine actually works in McDonalds and she is covered in them yet she isn't discriminated against nor asked to cover them up and she is in contact with customers every shift unless franchise stores have a different policy
M1011
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well you didn't say that did you? Stop discriminating against me for not being psychic.

Generally people post in the careers forum about their careers problems, so I presumed you might have specific concerns. It now appears you just want a debate. So here goes;

Yes they are generally speaking frowned upon in professional or customer facing roles. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. It's a choice people make to have a tattoo, they aren't born with it, so it's there responsibility to understand the impact that may have on their prospective career.
leahnic
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I work in pizza express and tattoos and are actually welcomed, they like people expressing their personality and creativity and if it's through tattoos then they love it and say the more the merrier plus, it gives you something to talk to customers about
Obviously they frown upon offensive tattoos but a lot of people in my work place have visible tattoos, even the manager
HolleeJane
Rep:
?
(Original post by M1011)
Well you didn't say that did you? Stop discriminating against me for not being psychic.

Generally people post in the careers forum about their careers problems, so I presumed you might have specific concerns. It now appears you just want a debate. So here goes;

Yes they are generally speaking frowned upon in professional or customer facing roles. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. It's a choice people make to have a tattoo, they aren't born with it, so it's there responsibility to understand the impact that may have on their prospective career.
Im hardly discriminating against you, the fact that if you work in the tattoo industry and have tattoos the chances of you being discriminated against is low to non so I pressumed that was common sense.

So you are saying that if you have visible tattoos you shouldn't hope to have future career prospects? Thats ridiculous to say the least, I have visible tattoos and nothing is going to stop me reaching my goals and ambitions, its the 21st century people need to stop considering tattoos a taboo to society
HolleeJane
Rep:
?
Do you work in the pizza express in Liverpool? I think thats great that employees are allowed the freedom of expression lets hope other companies follow suit. I can understand the offensive tattoos being frowned upon but it gives noone the right to judge people based on their expression of art
leahnic
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Do you work in the pizza express in Liverpool? I think thats great that employees are allowed the freedom of expression lets hope other companies follow suit. I can understand the offensive tattoos being frowned upon but it gives noone the right to judge people based on their expression of art
Yeah but it's the same through the whole company, it used to be frowned upon but in the past year they've encouraged it along with piercings and coloured hair, so basically if you're the type of person who wants green hair a face full of metal and be head to toe in tattoos you'll be treated the exact same as someone with plain brown hair no piercings and no tattoos, purely because that's who you are

They just say as long as it follows basic health and safety regs it's fine
HolleeJane
Rep:
?
(Original post by leahnic)
Yeah but it's the same through the whole company, it used to be frowned upon but in the past year they've encouraged it along with piercings and coloured hair, so basically if you're the type of person who wants green hair a face full of metal and be head to toe in tattoos you'll be treated the exact same as someone with plain brown hair no piercings and no tattoos, purely because that's who you are

They just say as long as it follows basic health and safety regs it's fine
Aww wow that is pretty awesome When me and my boyfriend moved to near Liverpool he struggled trying to find a job but even though he is covered in tattoos (and i mean he has them on his face, neck and hands etc) hes landed a great job outside of Liverpool and he makes and delivers furniture round all the posh areas in London and not once has he been discriminated against
ClassQuick
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I can tell you right now visible tattoos are highly discriminated against in a lot of professions.
JohnC2211
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's not illegal to discriminate against somebody with tattoos and so companies will do so if it doesn't reflect the image they want to portray. Don't see a problem with it to be honest as getting a tattoo is a voluntary thing.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (25)
13.59%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.52%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.89%
I need help with my personal statement (76)
41.3%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (44)
23.91%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.63%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (15)
8.15%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise