The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Stefan1991
Sounds like an unfair disadvantage to me.

So employers have any right to turn you down for a job if you're ugly and you refuse to get plastic surgery? Or because you're Christian and you refuse to change religion?

Sounds pretty stupid.

Would you hire a lawyer who came to court dressed in exercise clothes? Would you trust a doctor wearing a pyjama when operating on you?
Original post by vandub
In that case, the employers should still have every right to not hire you based upon it, however you could legitimately claim compensation for lost earnings and the cost of tattoo removal from whoever did it to you against your will.

Paying to get it removed, maybe. However, in order to get compensation for lost earnings you would have to prove you would have definitely got that job if you didn't have the tattoo.
Reply 82
Original post by HolleeJane
I don't agree, everyone is entitled to freedom of expression, its a human right and if an employee does have a visible tattoo it is not going to affect how the company competes in its market place nor does it show that the employee is any less qualified for the role so companies are discriminating based on looks and perceptions

As you said, everyone has the freedom of expression. In like manner, everyone has the freedom to do what is not prohibited by law. Just because you think tattoos would not affect a company, doesn't mean they will also see it that way. Discrimination on ground of looks and perceptions is not prohibited, so a company may well do that.

You have the freedom to cover your face with tattoos. Just don't assert that freedom when you're working for someone else.
Original post by TheSownRose
Paying to get it removed, maybe. However, in order to get compensation for lost earnings you would have to prove you would have definitely got that job if you didn't have the tattoo.

Yeah, I wasn't intending on being too specific, but I agree with you. Unless you were fired from a previously held position.
Reply 84
Original post by Chumbaniya
I would have taken your reply seriously if not for that remark.

What's that old adage? If you have nothing to say.. don't say anything at all.
Reply 85
Original post by TheSownRose
Using my tattooed friend as an example: even if he lied about that, how are they going to realise? Unless this job involved naked/underwear modelling or being the subject of a life drawing class, I can't think of a work scenario which would result in the loss of the lower portion of your clothing.

You make know them from everyday life or you could ask if they do.

Also, once employed if i learnt they had a tattoo, i would sack them.
Ill be going to study medicine at university next year and aspire to be a doctor

A tattoo is something i have always wanted ... quite specifically a forearm tattoo ...

(Lucky thing for me) ... as a part of infection control , doctors must have sleeves rolled up in hospitals ... which would by all means expose the forearm tattoo

This could quite possibly put patients off or put them under unecessary stress if they see like .. YOLO printed onto my arm in gothic font...

So although there isnt an exact rule stating tattoo's on doctors arent allowed ... it will be frowned upon if it affects the patients you are treating ... so tattoo's are probably best hidden ... like on the buttocks.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 87
Original post by ras90

that is pure discrimination
Original post by ras90

Why would you sack them though?
Their tattoo would not be seen while they were working (for example someone who has one on their hip, or the other poster's friend with it on their buttocks) so wouldn't impact their image or your image as their employer, and it wouldn't affect their ability to work, what reason do you have to sack them?
Reply 89
Original post by vandub
Yep, you're right, it's really unfair that you CHOSE to get a tattoo despite knowing that some people react unfavourably to them. That you CHOSE to get it in a visible place knowing the kind of workplace you'd be going into.

What reasonable person reacts unfavourably to some art on someone's skin?

Yes because everyone knows what workplace they will work at years in advance :rolleyes:

Original post by vandub
Again, being ugly is not a choice. Being Christian is not a choice (debatable I suppose), nor would anyone know unless you told them so wouldn't affect how people interact with you.

I'm just gonna stop here.

Being Christian is not a choice? Seriously? You still haven't explained why it matters one iota whether it's a choice or not...

Why would body art affect how people should interact with you? :lolwut:
Reply 90
Original post by Playa10
As you said, everyone has the freedom of expression. In like manner, everyone has the freedom to do what is not prohibited by law. Just because you think tattoos would not affect a company, doesn't mean they will also see it that way. Discrimination on ground of looks and perceptions is not prohibited, so a company may well do that.

You have the freedom to cover your face with tattoos. Just don't assert that freedom when you're working for someone else.

Well I respect what you are saying because it is logical but I dont believe it, I still see it as discrimination. Like I mentioned before my boyfriend has a tattoo on his face (and i dont mean a full face tattoo just a small one) and he is asserting his freedom whilest working and it isnt making any difference to the company, most people are more intrigued and like to ask about it. Likewise in my employment I am asserting my freedom on a daily basis when interacting with customers in a busy market place so it just shows that there are some employers out there who aren't prejudice towards personal choices. Since having my tattoos it hasnt affected my application in jobs and I am more curious as to the situation with other people applying jobs and finding out other companies policies and views.
Reply 91
Original post by Firran
Would you hire a lawyer who came to court dressed in exercise clothes? Would you trust a doctor wearing a pyjama when operating on you?

And this has something to do with body art.... how? :confused:

Exercise clothes are appropriate whilst exercising, pjamas are appropriate whilst sleeping. Body art is appropriate at any time. Sheet analogy.

Why would body art affect how people should interact with you? :lolwut:

What if someone had a penis plastered on to their forehead

Edit: Your argument = blown to shreds

Thank you.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 93
Original post by shooby_doo

Thank you.

Then they'd have a penis on their forehead... was that meant to be an argument? :lol:
Original post by HolleeJane
Haha :smile: first of all im not a 'teenage rebel' im a 3 year university student so dont try belittling me with your cynical comments and second of all its people like yourself that are stuck living in the past that are discriminatory. I don't think the world should 'revolve and adapt' to suit me, I believe that every human being has the right to present their OWN body as they wish and that we should not have to conform to society just because everybody else does. Employers need to realise that by judging people by the art expressed on them they aren't doing themselves any favours as tattoos do not reflect the ability and qualifications of the potential employee.

So what you think is that everyone with a tattoo should be unemployable? Somebody needs to open their eyes and realise that this isn't going to help the unemployment rate in the UK nor is it going to get us out of a recession.

And good for you, you have 'four large tattoos' well what was the point in getting them if they are never on show? Tattoos are supposed to reflect your personality and beliefs not hide it

Just have a query with the last point. Tattoos are for you, they don't need to be on show at all. If you choose to get them in a place where they are hidden that is up to you, don't belittle him on where he got his tattoos.

For instance, perhaps he got one on his chest close to his heart because it means something to him, they are personal freedom of expression, who are you to decide because they aren't permenantly on show that they don't express your beliefs and personality?

Thank you.

Argument not blown to shreds. They could be a genius, they could be the nicest person you'll ever meet. Having a penis on the forehead doesn't automatically make them a certain kind of person.
Then they'd have a penis on their forehead... was that meant to be an argument? :lol:

The argument being it would be highly offensive to headbutt an individual with such a tattoo

Hence a behavioural difference in the way you would treat others , and others would treat you.
Original post by minimarshmallow
Argument not blown to shreds. They could be a genius, they could be the nicest person you'll ever meet. Having a penis on the forehead doesn't automatically make them a certain kind of person.

It makes them a bit of a d*ck though
Reply 98
The argument being it would be highly offensive to headbutt an individual with such a tattoo

Would it not be offensive to headbutt someone whether they had a tattoo or not? What does the tattoo have to do with it? :lolwut:

Hence a behavioural difference in the way you would treat others , and others would treat you.

Try not headbutting people? That's a thought.
Reply 99
It makes them a bit of a d*ck though

Having a d*ck makes you a d*ck? Nice observational skills you've got goin on there.

:lol:

Latest

Trending

Trending