The Student Room Group

The Legend of Korra

So is anyone else keeping up with the sequel to the Legend of Aang? I like the switch up in scenery to the one area, knowing that all the action is going on in one city makes the whole thing feel more tense than it being spread out across the whole world.

I've heard some interesting hypotheses about Amon's identity, but I'm not sure. I'm more interested on how he acquired his powers than who's behind the mask. As usual, guys. Spoilers go in spoiler tags.

Scroll to see replies

It's pretty epic. The characterisation works in the same way as TLA did, and it's really interesting to see how they link together. The action's great, and like I said in the OP, I prefer the setting to TLA's. It's definitely worth watching if you were a fan of the original series.
I don't watch much anime. So I haven't seen the one you mentioned, everything I know about most anime I've heard from other people who watch it. There are no contradictions that I've noticed as of yet. It's all pretty consistent. It's set 70 years after Aang's adventures and there are still references back to the old series, which makes me feel happy because I can go "I know what they're talking about! :^_^:". A bit of fan service in there, too.
Reply 3
nope nothing contradicts it's set in the same world seventy years on so it would be a bit weird if there were errors.

i've been told it comes on every 2weeks as opposed to one,i watched all seven episodes online so i can't confirm this but i doubt it's a lie.

oh and it's in 2 seasons, sadly this season's only 12/13 episodes long =(...then again, it's attracting loads of viewers (ep7 had 3.5million) so i'm sure it'll be longer than just 26 episodes.
Original post by Chris..
nope nothing contradicts it's set in the same world seventy years on so it would be a bit weird if there were errors.

i've been told it comes on every 2weeks as opposed to one,i watched all seven episodes online so i can't confirm this but i doubt it's a lie.

oh and it's in 2 seasons, sadly this season's only 12/13 episodes long =(...then again, it's attracting loads of viewers (ep7 had 3.5million) so i'm sure it'll be longer than just 26 episodes.

I've been watching them via. stream the day after they air, and I can tell you that there's been a new episode every week.

This season's 12 episodes long, season 2's 14 episodes long. Since Korra's already mastered fire, water and earth, and this season is about air, I wonder what they'll call season 2. :beard:
Reply 5
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
I've been watching them via. stream the day after they air, and I can tell you that there's been a new episode every week.

This season's 12 episodes long, season 2's 14 episodes long. Since Korra's already mastered fire, water and earth, and this season is about air, I wonder what they'll call season 2. :beard:

oh cool so there's gonna be 1 later today then:biggrin:

and yeah that's a mystery...it'll be interesting to see what it's called haha
I like the new series but it's not shaping up to be as good as the original imo. I like the deeper moral complexity of the storyline and the way they've managed to create a convincingly steampunk-type setting, but Korra's too old and hot-headed to have the same kind of charisma as Aang, there's nothing like an insecure 10 year old pacifist Buddhist vegan as your protagonist
Online stream site. Just replace the episode number in the URL with whichever episode you want to watch. Episode 8 will be going up sometime on Sunday.
Loving it so far. Very intrigued by the issues arising from non-benders feeling marginalised in a bender-dominated society (lol).
Reply 9
I only found out that LoK had started airing just today. :colone:

Since this afternoon I've seen all 9 episodes. :creep:

I'm just loving it. The writers have come up with a great narrative for this series, it really isn't a rehash of TLA in the sense that a new Ozai has popped up for the Avatar to fight.

Really interested with Amon. I don't think he is related to any character we've seen already in TLA or recently in LoK. I also don't believe his bs story about his face being burnt. His family being murdered by benders is more plausible because its the source of his hatred and his motive for revenge, however I'm sceptical about that too. I sense that the story could just be a cover up - he really doesn't care about equality and his real goal is achieving power for himself.

Amon can't bend any of the elements so I reckon he has a different power because it just wont be a fair fight between an Avatar and a guy who can move pretty fast but needs to be within touching distance to have any threat. How else could he resist bloodbending if he didn't have some sort of ability?

I thought that it may be the ability to absorb other benders' powers, but I can see this being far fetched because it would be pretty random and poor writing from the creators imo. But throwing it out there now just in case it turns out I'm right. :tongue:

The way he 'takes away bending' just doesn't look like energybending to me.

Anyway a bit pissed off with myself that I didn't space the episodes out as its almost finished and there won't be anything left to watch for a year at least. :colonhash:
Original post by Mr.Messy
I only found out that LoK had started airing just today. :colone:

Since this afternoon I've seen all 9 episodes. :creep:

I'm just loving it. The writers have come up with a great narrative for this series, it really isn't a rehash of TLA in the sense that a new Ozai has popped up for the Avatar to fight.

Really interested with Amon. I don't think he is related to any character we've seen already in TLA or recently in LoK. I also don't believe his bs story about his face being burnt. His family being murdered by benders is more plausible because its the source of his hatred and his motive for revenge, however I'm sceptical about that too. I sense that the story could just be a cover up - he really doesn't care about equality and his real goal is achieving power for himself.

Amon can't bend any of the elements so I reckon he has a different power because it just wont be a fair fight between an Avatar and a guy who can move pretty fast but needs to be within touching distance to have any threat. How else could he resist bloodbending if he didn't have some sort of ability?

I thought that it may be the ability to absorb other benders' powers, but I can see this being far fetched because it would be pretty random and poor writing from the creators imo. But throwing it out there now just in case it turns out I'm right. :tongue:

The way he 'takes away bending' just doesn't look like energybending to me.

Anyway a bit pissed off with myself that I didn't space the episodes out as its almost finished and there won't be anything left to watch for a year at least. :colonhash:

The interesting thing about Amon isn't who he is, I think. Rather why he can spirit bend. That'll of course be explained by revealing his identity. I also like how his name is one letter off "Anon", I think it'll be purposeful by the writers.

Obviously he can spirit bend to take people's bending powers away, but why must he have another bending power? I just watched the episode there, and you could see Amon being affected by the blood bending, however, like you implied. He just kept moving. I took this as meaning "Jesus Christ, Amon is a ****ing tank." With his finesse, I think it more than evens the fight. We've seen benders having their arse handed to them by chi blockers, Korra included, I don't find it hard to imagine that Amon is just THAT good at what he does.

The reason behind his avatar-only bending ability will be revealed along with his identity. But I think it says a lot that the only two people we've seen resist blood bending is Aang in avatar mode and Amon.
Reply 11
The interesting thing about Amon isn't who he is, I think. Rather why he can spirit bend. That'll of course be explained by revealing his identity. I also like how his name is one letter off "Anon", I think it'll be purposeful by the writers.

Obviously he can spirit bend to take people's bending powers away, but why must he have another bending power? I just watched the episode there, and you could see Amon being affected by the blood bending, however, like you implied. He just kept moving. I took this as meaning "Jesus Christ, Amon is a ****ing tank." With his finesse, I think it more than evens the fight. We've seen benders having their arse handed to them by chi blockers, Korra included, I don't find it hard to imagine that Amon is just THAT good at what he does.

The reason behind his avatar-only bending ability will be revealed along with his identity. But I think it says a lot that the only two people we've seen resist blood bending is Aang in avatar mode and Amon.

He poses a big threat with his take-away-bending ability but Korra (not even in the Avatar state) could just encase him in an earth block to neutralise him so he wont move. That isn't much of a fight imo, he has to have some sort of other ability. Not an elemental bending power, but some sort of spirit power as you mentioned. I think that would also explain his resistance to bloodbending.

The way Amon removes powers is different to how Aang did it (by touching head and heart), which IIRC was shown to him by the Lion Turtle, one of the original energybenders. Amon doesn't also glow when he does 'it'. That's why I doubt that what he is doing is energybending per se. But there could always be other ways to perform it. :dontknow:
He poses a big threat with his take-away-bending ability but Korra (not even in the Avatar state) could just encase him in an earth block to neutralise him so he wont move. That isn't much of a fight imo, he has to have some sort of other ability. Not an elemental bending power, but some sort of spirit power as you mentioned. I think that would also explain his resistance to bloodbending.

The way Amon removes powers is different to how Aang did it (by touching head and heart), which IIRC was shown to him by the Lion Turtle, one of the original energybenders. Amon doesn't also glow when he does 'it'. That's why I doubt that what he is doing is energybending per se. But there could always be other ways to perform it. :dontknow:

How do you know Amon doesn't glow? We can't really see his eyes. :wink:
Also, Amon has been seen spirit bending in two ways. When his powers are first revealed, he's held them on the heart and head, and shoulder and head. When he took away Tarloc's bending, he held him from behind, and held his head.

Energy bending and spirit bending are the same thing, btw. :tongue:

Did Aang glow when he took away Yakon's bending? I can't remember him doing it, only when resisting the blood bending. He definitely glowed when he was taking away Ozai's.
Reply 13
How do you know Amon doesn't glow? We can't really see his eyes. :wink:
Also, Amon has been seen spirit bending in two ways. When his powers are first revealed, he's held them on the heart and head, and shoulder and head. When he took away Tarloc's bending, he held him from behind, and held his head.

Energy bending and spirit bending are the same thing, btw. :tongue:

Did Aang glow when he took away Yakon's bending? I can't remember him doing it, only when resisting the blood bending. He definitely glowed when he was taking away Ozai's.

:yep: I know but I was inferring that Amon does have some sort of spirit ability, just not spirit bending/ energy bending. If that makes sense. :colondollar:

Aang was definitely glowing when he took away Yakone's bending. Even though Amon is wearing a mask we should be able to see some light from his face, at least from the eye holes of his mask, if he is indeed energybending.
(edited 11 years ago)
:yep: I know but I was inferring that Amon does have some sort of spirit ability, just not spirit bending/ energy bending. If that makes sense. :colondollar:

Aang was definitely glowing when he took away Yakone's bending. Even though Amon is wearing a mask we should be able to see some light from his face, at least from the eye holes of his mask, if he is indeed energybending.

I dunno, man. Jet did pretty well for himself as a non-bender fighting benders. So I don't find it hard to believe that Amon can do it, too.

The only person we've ever seen glow is the avatar. Amon isn't the avatar, so it's perfectly feasible that he can spirit bend without glowing, too. :tongue:
Reply 15
I love the fact that Korra is in love with that firebender forgot his name, and he loves her back. Screw the other pretty girl, she just came out of nowhere.lol. I hope korra can defeat Amon and take his bending powers.
Original post by kaygee
I love the fact that Korra is in love with that firebender forgot his name, and he loves her back. Screw the other pretty girl, she just came out of nowhere.lol. I hope korra can defeat Amon and take his bending powers.

I still expect Asami (the other pretty girl) to turn out to be an evil bitch. :tongue:
Reply 17
I think you are absolutely right about that. But we all know who he really loves and that is Korra. I mean, in the end the guy always gets the girl minus a few distractions (such as Asami), since Aang got Katura, so Korra is definitely gonna get the guy - hopefully. I mean the fire-bender is so funny and makes the cartoon interesting. I wish they'd upload the next episode soon.
Loving this series, really glad the writers didn't just flop after the last airbender series, this one is fantastic.

My prediction is Amon is actually absorbing people's bending, not just taking it away. The more he absorbs the more powerful he becomes, and Korra's gonna have to master airbending (and the avatar state) as that's the only element he can't absorb in mass amounts, so he'll be weak to it.

I forgot to mention that Amon's hands when "taking away bending" are in a different position to the way Aang's are, and we know Aang is genuinely taking away people's bending, touching the forehead and chest, whereas Amon touches the forehead and neck. I think this implies that there is more to it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 19
I reckon the writers have done a fantastic job so far - can't fault them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending