This discussion is closed.
james18
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
i just want to find out what english is like to study at university. if there is anyone who is planning to go to leeds/nottingham/manchester could they tell me what grades they had offered you and what grades you were predicted and is it possible to get to these unis through clearing for english. All help will be greatly appreciated thankyou
serendipity
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by james18)
i just want to find out what english is like to study at university. if there is anyone who is planning to go to leeds/nottingham/manchester could they tell me what grades they had offered you and what grades you were predicted and is it possible to get to these unis through clearing for english. All help will be greatly appreciated thankyou
For nottingham you need AAA to even be considered, although they give offers of AAB. There's no way you can get into Nottingham or Leeds for English through clearing. Leeds also ask for AAB i think.
Acid_Rain
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I have an offer to study English at Manchester - grades AAB. I'm pretty sure this is their typical offer also.

Btw, none of those three will be available through clearing - English is just too popular a subject unfortunately.
waiting2smile
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by serendipity)
For nottingham you need AAA to even be considered, although they give offers of AAB. There's no way you can get into Nottingham or Leeds for English through clearing. Leeds also ask for AAB i think.
1 Cambridge
2 Oxford
3 York
4 University College London
5 Durham
6 Cardiff
7 Edinburgh
8= Royal Holloway
8= St Andrews
10 Warwick

The universities above are the top ten ranked for english, but not all of them ask for AAA/AAB i got offered aab from royal holloway then they changed it to abb
serious narb
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i intend to do English lit at Uni and have offers from all 6

nott trent(visting on wed)
West of England(visiting on sat) (in bristol)
Pompey(visited)
Derby(visited)
Brighton
Lincoln

from what i've seen so far i gather the course are quite flexible
james18
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
also apart from leeds manchester warwick has any body been given an offer from edinburgh ucl and any other russell elite universities what were your offers and what were you predicted any one you know who got into russell uni's through clearing for english thanks.
Insatiable
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I have offers from Reading (ABB) and Bristol (AAA) for English and have been rejected from Oxford and Nottingham. I'm predicted AAA - it's a very competitive course.
waiting2smile
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Insatiable)
I have offers from Reading (ABB) and Bristol (AAA) for English and have been rejected from Oxford and Nottingham. I'm predicted AAA - it's a very competitive course.
The English coursestrcuture for Reading is confusing - the first year anyhow. I'm rejecting them...feel so terrible, the admissions tutor was really helpful and nice
serendipity
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by james18)
also apart from leeds manchester warwick has any body been given an offer from edinburgh ucl and any other russell elite universities what were your offers and what were you predicted any one you know who got into russell uni's through clearing for english thanks.
I have 7A* 3A at Gcse, and am predicted AAAA at A Level (English Lit, History, Geography and General Studies) Here are my unis:

Nottingham - rejected
Birmingham - offer, AAB (this is a Russell Group uni)
Southampton - offer, ABB (this is a Russel Group uni)
Durham - offer, AAB
Warwick - rejected
York - still waiting

So you see, English courses are very difficult to get into.

FYI:

The Russell Group institutions are:

University of Birmingham
University of Bristol
University of Cambridge
Cardiff University
University of Edinburgh
University of Glasgow
Imperial College, London
King's College, London
University of Leeds
University of Liverpool
London School of Economics
University of Manchester
University of Newcastle upon Tyne
University of Nottingham
University of Oxford
University of Sheffield
University of Southampton
University College, London
University of Warwick

The only iffy uni on that list IMHO is Glasgow. The others are all excellent.

Hope that helps!
Acid_Rain
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I have offers from three of the Russell Unis: Manchester (AAB), Warwick (AABb) and Southampton (ABC)

My predicted grades are AAA.

Btw, the Russell group contains some but not all of the most highly regarded universities - the most notable exception is York, which is ranked as #3 best for English Lit. by the Times league table.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (180)
38.22%
Take autumn exams (145)
30.79%
Look for a job (16)
3.4%
Consider an apprenticeship (21)
4.46%
Take a year out (81)
17.2%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (28)
5.94%

Watched Threads