The Student Room Group

C1: simplifying answer in exam?

Hi everyone,

I've just done a past paper and then marked my answers with the mark scheme (AQA C1, Jan 2010).

There were a few strange things in the mark scheme. For example, one answer had to be simplified to get full marks, whereas there were 2 questions on the gradient and then the second differential where you didn't get full marks when you simplified. So how are you supposed to know which is best??
Reply 1
Original post by gavinlee
Hi everyone,

I've just done a past paper and then marked my answers with the mark scheme (AQA C1, Jan 2010).

There were a few strange things in the mark scheme. For example, one answer had to be simplified to get full marks, whereas there were 2 questions on the gradient and then the second differential where you didn't get full marks when you simplified. So how are you supposed to know which is best??

It is good practice to simplify answers and you will always get full marks if you correctly simplify after showing prior working. A mark scheme may not show the simplified version when the method and accuracy marks can be awarded earlier if you show the unsimplified version. You are only required to show an answer in it's simplest form (e.g. an integration) if you are told to do so in the question.

Quick Reply

Latest