The Student Room Group

Fitness FAQ - Fat/Weightloss/Bulking

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
You can also taper your diet over a couple of weeks rather than going from 1800 cals or (whatever) to 3300.

The same works in reverse if needing to be eating less.

A week or two in the grand scheme of things is nothing and this will probably make it a bit easier to get used to eating different amounts of food. The body quickly adapts to these things anyway (or maybe it is your mind that is the thing getting used to changes).

This principle is useful for training too: no harm on easing yourself into more work gradually rather than chucking yourself into something where you are going to feel dead for the first week or two.
Reply 581
Make sure that most of your training is activities you enjoy, whether that be weight training, running, cycling, martial arts, boxing, dancing, gymnastics or whatever and work hard and then it will be impossible to waste your time.
Original post by kjjj
add rep...

thanks alot for your help....what is high in calories?
and is it possible say, if peanut butter was hypothetically speaking 3000 calories to just eat loads of that?

High calorie food:

Eggs
Peanut Butter
Nuts
Steak
Most carb sources
Oils

Eat lots and eat well. Good luck.
Reply 583
Original post by kjjj
every day?I have a small stomach- how do you guys manage to force yourself.

I dont it's just a way of life for me
Apart from semi skimmed milk (cos i prefer it anyway), I've just made a vow not to touch diet food ever again. What does everyone else think?

I can't be bothered with tasteless, card board, low fat crap. It's so much better to eat the full fat version but in moderation. Whats the point in low fat biscuits? You just finish the bag because it's so tasteless and you still just feel unsatisfied. Far better to have a small slice of really rich cake and get a true burst of satisfaction.

It's all about moderation and portion control. Low fat food is made by brands and supermarkets to sell, not to actually benefit anyone. They are just playing on the "guilt free indulgence" thing to sell their products. It's all about marketing, not weight loss.

Indulgence doesn't need to be a bad thing in moderation. Good bye, Be Good to Yourself! Your products never did me any good. I'm not touching low fat food again. And I feel pretty liberated!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 585
I agree.

Eat your cakes and burgers etc . A few push ups will burn that off and keep you toned/get you toned. :smile:.

I usually run on the spot to burn the extra calories i have gained from eating full fat foods in excess.
I've never really believed in dieting or diet food, for various reasons including the marketing ones you stated. I think the only diet food I've ever eaten were some rice crackers, and that was because I bought a diet brand without realising :lol:

Honestly, I don't think I could be happy if I had to feel unnecessarily guilty every time I ate a single Malteaser. I've been fine my whole life just eating in moderation.

So good for you! :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 587
I agree. Imo, it's pretty easy to eat whatever foods you like and not have any negative effects.
"Diet" food is retarded and promotes a really bad outlook on health and food in general.
Reply 589
Original post by yunghamz
I agree.

Eat your cakes and burgers etc . A few push ups will burn that off and keep you toned/get you toned. :smile:.

I usually run on the spot to burn the extra calories i have gained from eating full fat foods in excess.

This.

If you stop eating low fat foods, you will gain a bit of body fat again but you can tone it down with some sit-ups
Reply 590
It's not about eating certain foods, it's about not eating certain foods.
I make a lot of healthier choices while I'm dieting, but I don't buy faddy diet rubbish like zero calorie biscuits or whatever those cardboard things are. I have treats, but in moderation. I'll eat a lot more veg in the place of things like chips if my family are cooking, and I'll pick a yoghurt instead of a slice of cake after dinner. Healthier, but not rubbishy "diet food".
if you exercised more and did IF, you can basically eat whatever the **** you like and as much as you like and never gain weight.

People are idiots for eating "diet" or "low fat" foods - dietary fat can make you fat, if you're in a caloric excess. But for most people, their caloric excess is from carbohydrates.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 593
Hey all, I've been lifting for a year or so and I'm looking for a bit of advice. I've been on SL5x5 for most of it and I really enjoy the program and the low rep range, but I'm looking to change up my routine to iron out some imbalances, what do you guys think?

A
squat 3x5
bench 3x5
BB rows 3x5
dips 2xF
shrugs 2x12

B
deadlift 1x5
ohp 3x5
leg raises 2xF
calf raises 2x12
bicep curls 2x12
rear delt flys 2x12

AxBxA
BxAxB

For A, I really enjoy squatting but my ass and quads are getting comically big and I'm not even fat or anything, so from now on I'll still squat heavy but limit it to once or twice a week instead of three, at least until my upperbody catches up. My arms are proportionately quite small, especially in comparison to my LATs, so I'm adding in some hypertrophy sets.

For B, I'm cutting soon and it would be nice to have lower abs so I've added in some leg raises in the hope that it would cancel out my ****ty lack of adonis belt genetics. My quads are pretty big but I'm looking for some hypertrophy on my calfs to bring things more into proportion. The curls are there for mass, and my rear delts are pretty lacking at the moment.

My stats:
5'5"
122lb/56kg

Deadlift 130kgx5
Squat 92.5kgx5
DB Bench 32kg

Thanks for any advice!
Reply 594
I would recommend reading "Greyskull LP", that will give you the best idea as to what you could/should be doing.

General pointers...

Focus on doing more chinups and rowing, that alone will improve your back, trap and deltoids. If you've still got "issues", then think about making things more complicated and adding in shrugs, rear delt flys, bicep curls, etc

You have "lower abs" it is just that they're covered in fat (ie; clean up your diet, more cardio) or you're just small/skinny in general (ie; focus on your big lifts and perhaps one or two quality core movements like ab wheel rollouts, up your calorific intake slightly).
Reply 595
Normally, after 2 weeks, I could see my weight drops, which is a good thing since I want to lose weight. I noticed that since my weight has dropped, my %BF is getting lower as well; my obliques and abs are showing and getting better and veins are starting to show up on my lower abs.

I mainly do running (10km on average every weekdays) and I restrict my calorie intake as healthy as possible. This cal calculator that I use asked me to lower my cals but there's no way I'm going to lower it anymore because I think cals lower than 1500cals is really not healthy for males 5'11 such as me :/

This month, I noticed that my weight hasn't changed; no drop and it's static since last 2 weeks. I noticed the my upper abs are improving, but still no lost in weight.

Any ideas? :/
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by kka25

I noticed the my upper abs is improving, but still no lost in weight.

Any ideas? :/

Congrats on making progress so far, assuming the ab improvement situation is not entirely in your head, then dont worry be happy lol.

I assume that your goals are aesthetic rather than to cut to a specific weight for a weigh in, so surely this is still progress towards your goal. If you have an objective eye, let the mirror be your guide with the scales merely supplementary.
Reply 597
So I started doing some pushups program, that's supposed to make you really fit in a few weeks.

After Week one, Day One I already "feel" my stomach. It must be working.

I'll probably start with the other two programs (squats and sit ups) too.

Ho Ho
Reply 598
Original post by Gone Revising
Congrats on making progress so far, assuming the ab improvement situation is not entirely in your head, then dont worry be happy lol.

I assume that your goals are aesthetic rather than to cut to a specific weight for a weigh in, so surely this is still progress towards your goal. If you have an objective eye, let the mirror be your guide with the scales merely supplementary.

Thank you for the kind words.

lol; hopefully not! Yesterday I was shirtless in front of this mirror that I haven't used for quite some time and I was very pleased with what I saw :biggrin: - I was a bit surprised to see those abs that I haven't seen before; although the progress is quite minor compared to other people, but I think I shouldn't be too hard on myself.

Hurm... my objectives are to be lean and healthy; perhaps aesthetic is one of them (would be lying if I said not lol). I use the scale to measure my progress really. Not entirely sure why I don't trust mirrors that much; it seems light also plays a role in how you look :/
Reply 599
I dunno if it's 100% true but I heard that muscle weighs more that fat and it seems like you've developed your muscles as you lost weight so that could explain why you've seen no change in your weight. Another possible reason could be the fact that it's harder to lose weight the less you weigh.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest