The Student Room Group

Sister smokes

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by tehFrance
Just because that applies to alcohol does not mean it automatically applies to cigarettes, the smoking law is different...!

Actually, you're right, sorry. It's illegal in Scotland, and only legal in England & Wales as long as they are not 'sold'!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Aquar
I would tell your parents.

It's worth her hating you for a few weeks if it means your parents try to stop her smoking; you don't want to be looking back in fifty years when she's terminally ill with lung cancer thinking, "oh, if only I'd told my parents..."

Don't do this. Flying off the deep end is not advisable.

Original post by ELs123
You do know that smoking gives an increased chance of cancer, not a 100% chance?

I would talk to her first, see the reasons why. If its due to stress then getting her into trouble with parents will be counter productive and she may smoke more.

At the end of the day you are unlikely to change anything, you can only be there to advise. if she wants to smoke then she will.

Do this.

Original post by dongonaeatu
it's probably a phase and she will quit when she's older.

This is statistically likely.

Self-destructive behaviour is extremely common. It's a feature of adolescance, so don't get too angsty over it. If you haven't been through this stage its hard to know, but (if you are younger than your sister) you may well go through this phase too. How much she smokes should be a sign. If its upwards of a pack a day (a sign of real addiction) then your parents are likely to find out by themselves. If its just a fag at breaktime or after school I'm inclined to say this is an issue with foundations in emotions, such as stress, wanting to be accepted into a peergroup or excersising a rebellious streak. Telling your parents will only inflame the issue and possibly damage your relationship with her.
You can legally smoke at 16, you're just not allowed to buy it until you're 18. So it's the person who's buying it/selling it to her who's technically in the wrong.

It's likely to damage her health though, which of course is the key concern here.
I guess it depends on the relationship you have with her. If you're older and/or close to her, then just talk to her about it. If you're not close to her though then this may be tricky.
I advise against telling your parents about it, that's not the way siblings should roll imo...
Original post by Pen Island
You can legally smoke at 16.

Actually it is 14 and has been since way before they changed the purchase age to 18.
Tell her everyone on Jeremy Kyle smokes. That'll make her run a mile. The best way to deal with these situations is to bend the way she thinks about it. Tell her if James Dean and Monroe knew about the consequences they wouldn't have smoked.

Or spell out the consequences to her, with pictures. This is a true story, you can use it if you like, my sisters boyfriend (a doctor) recently dealt with a man losing his toe through smoking. It just came off in his hand. He's treated many people losing various limbs through this. If that doesn't work, just try the old 'I'm telling mam and dad, you fool'. And then give up. :h:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 45
Slap her in the face and tell her what a dumb b**** she's being.
Reply 46
have a smoke yourself, you might like it, dont be a square.
Original post by Anonymous
Found out that my 16 year old sister smokes. Do I confront her? Tell my parents? I'm really lost as to what to do.

I would talk to her, not tell your parents.

At 15/16 many of my closest friends tried smoking, by 17 only one of them continued to smoke. So chances are it's just a phase she's going through.

I think if you tell your parents she will be less willing to share other things with you in future.
Reply 48
It's not really any of your business whether she smokes or not, she's old enough to make her own decisions, and if she wants to quit when she's older if she changes her mind then it is far from impossible.

It's not really worth causing a rift between you and her and getting her into trouble with your parents - that's just mean and bitchy to be honest.
She's young, she's going to try new things. To be quite honest, it's probably a phase. Don't grass her up, her parents aren't around her 24/7 so she'll continue to do it whatever the outcome, and probably more so if she gets told she can't. Maybe confront her yourself if you're that bothered.
Bust out your bong and have a session with her, maaan.

:leaf:
Reply 51
personally i think you should just speak to her if youre concerned about her smoking ... snitching her in to your parents is a bit extreme untill you have all the facts. maybe its just a phase or maybe shes stressed who knows her motivations or maybe she just has the odd cheeky fag on the night out with friends like many people do. no sense in sailing her up **** creek and damaging your relationship with her and hers with your parents over something as pathetic as a cigarette, they may not be good for your health but theyre not as bad as something like heroin etc. so yar personally id say either speak to her about it or let her live her life as it is just that HER life, and she can live it as she pleases. after all we can only learn from the mistakes we make.
Original post by Some random guy
I disagree, the parents have a right to know. There are no benefits to smoking whatsoever.

Well I have been on all three sides of this equation and can say that any sibling acting like they have a right to be the family informant is a thankless position to be in. The OP's concern is with the sister not the parents so speak to her.

You have an obvious opinion regarding smoking which your free to have, but your not considering the bigger picture. If you or the OP really believe smoking is that harmful put the effort in and get the facts so you can discuss it, don't try to palm it off on to the parents as an easy way to ease your concience that you have done something. If she is going to continue to smoke after the OP has presented their perspective and supporting facts on smoking its going to happen anyway so is there any benefit brought from creating an air of hostility. Also no one has asked DO the Parents smoke? they might for all I can see in this thread and maybe would even consider the OP silly to come running telling tales on their sister.

Quick Reply

Latest