The Student Room Group

OCR Physics A G482, Electrons, Waves and Photons, 25th May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by the real viper
Wait i've just read that the you sometimes take the terminal pd to be the EMF of the supply because you are ignoring internal resistance so therefore the terminal pd must be the sum of the individual pd's i guess!!!:biggrin:

Woo, I'm right :woo:
Reply 101
What I'm surprised by is how low the grade boundaries are. In January, it was only 66/100 for an A! :confused:

I really hate this unit. In fact, I has OCR in general - it's just silly. However, I don't feel too bad in about it - just need to practice a couple more papers and I should be fine.
Reply 102
Can someone please explain the difference between P.d & emf? thanks
Reply 103
Original post by rafcan

Original post by rafcan

e.m.f is the amount of energy gained per unit charge by the battery... the chemical reaction within the battery provides the charge and the energy... however p.d is the energy lost across a component by charges having to use energy to overcome resistance.. hope that helps
Reply 104
Original post by A for Andromeda

Original post by A for Andromeda
Hi, if anyone could explain this one question to me, I will be very grateful :smile:

(Sorry if I explain it poorly, but I can't find the actually question paper online [Jan 2011 - Qu7 c.i.])

The light from a filament is veiwed through a diffraction grating, having 300 lines per mm. The continous first order spectrum appears between angles 7 and 12 (degrees) to the direction of the incident light;

State the colour of the light the is seen at an angle of;

7:
12:

The used: The angle = arcsin(wavelength/d)

And used typical values for red (~350nm) and violet (~700nm) and from this you get roughly 7 for red and 12 for violet, but in the mark scheme it has it the other way round :confused:

Probably very simple, but I really don't get how they got the two that was around :colondollar:

red has the 700nm wavelength, u got them the wrong way around
Reply 105
Original post by Dale12

Original post by Dale12
red has the 700nm wavelength, u got them the wrong way around

then that makes more sense because red will have the 12 degree angle and since it has the bigger wavelength it diffracts more
Original post by rafcan

EMF= the energy transferred when other forms of energy is converted into electrical energy.
P.d. = energy transferred when electrical energy is turned into other forms of energy.

^Hope that makes it clear for you in some ways
I have a question: when you're given the work function energy and the kinetic energy to work out the frequency of a radiation, how do you know which equation to use, out of 'f=(KE+work function)/h' or 'f=E/h'? Quote me please, thanks! Any help would be much appreciated :smile:
Reply 108
Say there are two bulbs connected in parallel, if one has 0 resistance will all the current flow through the 0 resistance one, meaning that neither will light up?

And if they are in series, and one bulb breaks, what happens?
Original post by sweetascandy
I have a question: when you're given the work function energy and the kinetic energy to work out the frequency of a radiation, how do you know which equation to use, out of 'f=(KE+work function)/h' or 'f=E/h'? Quote me please, thanks! Any help would be much appreciated :smile:

Surely f=(KE+ work function)/h because you are given KE and work function and you know plancks constant. However you don't know the energy of the photon for E in E=hf.

I'd say the first because they have given work function and kinetic energy.
Reply 111

they are both the same
Energy = hf = work function + KE(max)
So E=hf f=E/h
Surely f=(KE+ work function)/h because you are given KE and work function and you know plancks constant. However you don't know the energy of the photon for E in E=hf.

Original post by The medjai
I'd say the first because they have given work function and kinetic energy.

Maybe I shouldve mentioned it before, but I tried this equation and got the wrong answer. The mark scheme said use 'E=hf', hence I wanted to know if there was a way of working out which equation to use.
Reply 113
Helloo People.... Hows the revision going for everyone???

any thoughts on what might come up???
Original post by shuty
Helloo People.... Hows the revision going for everyone???

any thoughts on what might come up???

Everything will come up in this exam. :scared:
Reply 115
Everything will come up in this exam. :scared:

:frown:
Electricity

Radio: 10^-1 -------- 10^6
Microwaves: 10^-3 -------- 10^-1
Infrared: 7x10-7 -------- 10^-3
Ultraviolet:10^-8 ------- 4x10^-7
X-Rays: 10^-13 ------- 10^8
Gamma Rays: 10^-16 -------- 10^-1

do we need to know and memorise all the wavelength ranges?
if yes, is there any quick way of doing it?
does resistance in a component change current or voltage or both?
Original post by Abused Tampon
does resistance in a component change current or voltage or both?

Both are affected, if you decrease Resistance then current increases hence less voltage needed.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Abused Tampon
do we need to know and memorise all the wavelength ranges?
if yes, is there any quick way of doing it?

Yeah we are, they do pretty much always ask them in past papers, so it would be a good idea. Just keep repeating them to yourself, and hopefully they'll sink in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending