The Student Room Group

OCR Physics A G482, Electrons, Waves and Photons, 25th May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1340
Original post by ChrisE2
I reckon somewhere around 93.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Yeah thats what i was thinking, fairly high.
Reply 1341
Original post by tp1995
What does everyone think 100% UMS will be?

It will be quite high this time, around 90/95. (I don't think I can can full UMS anymore, but I may be able to scrape an A)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by geditor
I think it's an interpretation of Kirchhoff's Second Law:

0 = -0.2(R1) - (-0.3)(R2)

I can't remember what R1 and R2 was but there were values such that the equation above equals 0.

(I think people just remember that in parallel the pds. are the same, they just remember what they're taught)
:smile:

kirchhoffs second law is about emfs=p.ds not about p.d in a parallel circuit
Reply 1343
Original post by Theafricanlegend
kirchhoffs second law is about emfs=p.ds not about p.d in a parallel circuit

Actually, although we learn the definite of Kirchhoff's second law as something along the lines of "The sum of the emf's around a closed loop is equal to the sum of the potential differences around the same closed loop", Kirchhoff's law can actually be written "The vector sum of the electrical potential differences/voltage around any closed loop is zero".

[Thus, EMFs are interpreted as positive p.d.s. in the definition we learn]

Therefore, if you go around the closed loop containing the two parallel resistors, the current in the first resistor will be positive and as you go around the closed loop in this case, the current in the second resistor is interpreted as being negative within this loop only. This means if you use V=IR on both resistors within Kirchhoff's second law, the voltages cancel each other out to 0, meaning my earlier post is correct.

So yes, Kirchhoff's second law can be about emfs=pd.s. but it also applies to a larger variety of applications such as parallel circuits.

BAAM! That's Electronics A-Level for you :smile:
Original post by geditor
Actually, although we learn the definite of Kirchhoff's second law as something along the lines of "The sum of the emf's around a closed loop is equal to the sum of the potential differences around the same closed loop", Kirchhoff's law can actually be written "The vector sum of the electrical potential differences/voltage around any closed loop is zero".

Therefore, if you go around the closed loop containing the two parallel resistors, the current in the first resistor will be positive and as you go around the closed loop in this case, the current in the second resistor is interpreted as being negative within this loop only. This means if you use V=IR on both resistors within Kirchhoff's second law, the voltages cancel each other out to 0, meaning my earlier post is correct.

So yes, Kirchhoff's second law can be about emfs=pd.s. but it also applies to a larger variety of applications such as parallel circuits.

yeah this physics and we never got taught that and kirchhoffs first law makes sense
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Theafricanlegend
yeah this physics and we never got taught that and kirchhoffs first law makes sense

How does it make sense in regards to the question that was asked. It was asking which law did you take into account in your proof of the 0.2A resistor. You didn't account for the 1st law ONCE if you proved it correctly whether through use of ratios between resistance and current (V=IR) or flat out using V=IR
I think full ums will be around 87/88. They are usually rather picky on marking with the written sections so alot of people might not get marks they expected too there
Original post by tooty_fruit
I think full ums will be around 87/88. They are usually rather picky on marking with the written sections so alot of people might not get marks they expected too there

but although it is gonna be high (somewhere like 95 for full ums), there were quite a few questions that had never come up (e.g.the pulse). i think that might be a good reason for the boundaries not to go up supersonicly, in spite of being fairly high.:ssaw:
Original post by geditor

thats what we learnt in gcse in Iran.
Original post by geditor

but its not about correct physics. you (tbh we all) need to get the marks. :juggle:
Reply 1350
The definition of kirchhoff's second law as "The sum of the emf's around a closed loop is equal to the sum of the potential differences around the same closed loop" clearly implies that the p.d across all parallel branches must be the same.
Reply 1351
does anyone remember what they got for the second to last question about the wavelength of the microwave?
Original post by ahct_952
does anyone remember what they got for the second to last question about the wavelength of the microwave?

I got 3.8mm. Probably wrong, I just guessed.
Original post by ahct_952

I think it was 30mm, as the node-antinode separation is wavelength/4
Original post by tooty_fruit
I think it was 30mm, as the node-antinode separation is wavelength/4

yeah that's what i got, because it was antinode to node therefore 1/4 wavelength then multiple 7.5mm to get 30mm
Reply 1355
Original post by Z REFAN Z
yeah that's what i got, because it was antinode to node therefore 1/4 wavelength then multiple 7.5mm to get 30mm

yeah, that's what i put too, but some people at my school said they put 15mm because they thought the question meant the distance between two nodes/two anti-nodes was 7.5mm, so now i'm not sure... i think the wording of the question was 'the distance between adjacent maxima and minima is 7.5mm', which in my opinion does not make clear what they mean
Reply 1356
Original post by mashmammad
but although it is gonna be high (somewhere like 95 for full ums), there were quite a few questions that had never come up (e.g.the pulse). i think that might be a good reason for the boundaries not to go up supersonicly, in spite of being fairly high.:ssaw:

Yeah good point, it seems like most people ether found it awful, or easy with the odd mistake? I think that will level out the statistics?

Also for the question about explaining why the current through the resistors in parallel was 0.2 and 0.3, I said you could work out the current by: using V=IR, then I1*R1=I2*R2, so you can work out 0.2 (call it X, as if we were working out an unknown value) by 4*0.3=6*X? i might have left out the rearangement of V=IR and just subbed in the values and said the the current is split with respect too R1/(1/6)=R2/(1/4), I know its a bit of a backward way, but will i still get marks do you think?
Reply 1357
Original post by Nick_
The definition of kirchhoff's second law as "The sum of the emf's around a closed loop is equal to the sum of the potential differences around the same closed loop" clearly implies that the p.d across all parallel branches must be the same.

Thank You. :smile: People these days, it's not rocket science, just physics, oh wait...
Seriously has no one done an unofficial markscheme??

also what did everyone get for the very last question? I think i did 0.8^2 / 0.6^2 *30mm = 53.3
I got maximum points of intensity are where there is maximum constructive interference and minimum points of intensity are where there is maximum destructive interfence.

So: (0.8+0.6)2(0.80.6)2=49\frac{(0.8+0.6)^2}{(0.8-0.6)^2} = 49

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending