Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Covalent + Dative bond = ? Watch

ReputationRep:
    This question plz :

The nitrate ion, NO3–, in Ca(NO3)2 contains both covalent and dative covalent bonds.
    Explain how.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LegendX)
    This question plz :

The nitrate ion, NO3–, in Ca(NO3)2 contains both covalent and dative covalent bonds.
    Explain how.

Thanks
    There is covalent bonding within the nitrate anion between the N and O atoms, but there is dative covalent bonding between the one of the lone pairs of electrons on one of the oxygen atoms, and the Ca2+ ion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegodofgod)
    There is covalent bonding within the nitrate anion between the N and O atoms, but there is dative covalent bonding between the one of the lone pairs of electrons on one of the oxygen atoms, and the Ca2+ ion.
    But isn't that a metal and a non metal so isn't that ironically bonded?

ReputationRep:
    But isn't that a metal and a non metal so isn't that ironically bonded?
    It's ionic as well, as there is a transfer of electrons (2 from 1 calcium atom, of which 1 electron goes to each nitrate ion).

I'd suggest drawing out the dot-cross structure of Ca(NO3)2, which should help you out with visualising it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegodofgod)
    It's ionic as well, as there is a transfer of electrons (2 from 1 calcium atom, of which 1 electron goes to each nitrate ion).

I'd suggest drawing out the dot-cross structure of Ca(NO3)2, which should help you out with visualising it
    Hmm anyone chance you can show me?

ReputationRep:
    I tried to draw out the diagram, I had a nitrogen atom bonded to 3 oxygens and it having 1 lone pair left.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm anyone chance you can show me?
    Just made one, see attached image; notice how each NO3- ion has a formal charge of -1, although within the ion there is a +1 charge and 2 x -1 charge (making an overall charge of -1)
    Attached Images

Poll
How are you feeling about Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.