What makes football fans so dedicated/bothered?

Watch
nextplanet
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Ive never understood dedicated football supporters but that is why im making this thread to find out. I dont get how people can feel so good when the team they support wins or feel so low when they lose. If I achieve something I feel really good but if a team who I support achieves Im glad but dont feel much else because it doesnt have any affect on MY life:confused:

This is what I dont understand, how come man city fans are sooo elated when the result has no effect on their own lives? Or maybe im overestimating the feeling.. is the feeling when your fave team loses similar to heartbreak when one of your relationships ends (some fans cry for days)?

Im not judging anyone or anything people can feel what they like but im trying to understand it as ive always been curious what makes fans so dedicated when a football team doesnt affect your life in any way:confused:

I found this.. I dont know which parts are true apply to you

http://www.theocentric.com/culture/i..._football.html
Mr Dangermouse
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think it's more a family thing. Most people inherit teams from their father and are basically raised to live or die by the team's success.
elliee123
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think its really just a modern day version of when we used to live in primitive tribes.. ya get me
QwertyG
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Saw the gender sign and stopped reading
jameslad
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I just don't know how to explain..

But that feeling you get out of it..

is unreal.
Catts4MeLikeFTM
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by crocker710)
People seem to replace success they lack in their own lives with the synthetic success on the football field.

Yes. No successful people enjoy football, ever.

Its not our fault you wear shirts from the Mark Lawrenson catalogue and live in Harrogate.
Waterstorm
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It sorta becomes part of their life, something they love and follow. Tbh, I used to be like that as well, but since I came to uni I never really got time to keep up with it all as much, so don't have that real attachment anymore.
detinus
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
For me, it's because I was brought up with loving my team! I watch Leeds nearly every week and they mean the world to me. It's just what happens, people love their team and become very attached!

I cried for the last 40 mins of Leeds' promotion winning game, and for about 3 hours afterwards...
chickenonsteroids
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Football is the sex.
Sarmz
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Catts4MeLikeFTM)
Women and football should not mix.
Oh you.
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
if you imagine the time commitment people invest: 38 games in the league + other competitions+ travel to games, will add up to hundreds of hours...

then the time spent talking about it with other people

the time spent playing football (for some)

the time spent reading about it etc

and all of a sudden, a deceptivly large part of someones lives is taken up by it, and it can become quite a comitment (both financially, and emotionally)
Zyyz
Badges: 9
Report 8 years ago
Because it's on every week from august to may, it's mainstream, it's dramatic, it's exhilarating, it's painful, it's joyful. And most of all, it's a mans sport so please just ignore it and brush up on your cooking skills please, in the kitchen.
Catts4MeLikeFTM
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Sarmz)
Oh you.
OMG! OMG! Hawt boy!
swiftylol
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The competition!
Mr Dangermouse
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

Its not our fault you wear shirts from the Mark Lawrenson catalogue and live in Harrogate.
Yup, Alan Sugar, Piers Morgan and the Sheikh Mansoor himself aren't successful people.
crocker710
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

Well I didn't know I was opening up myself up to personal attack.

I didn't say anyone successful doesn't enjoy football, I said they're unlikely to be the ones with the 25stone+ beer belly screaming, topless, whilst sobbing uncontrollably because their team moved from the 3rd tier of english football to the 4th.
martin jol
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
the pantomime of football, how it creates heroes and villians and all the rest, provides the masses with relief from the realities of life.
bluenose14
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Ive been indoctrinated by my family in all honestly. Wouldn't have it any other way though.

It's just common ground with a lot of people as well I suppose. And there's definitely something tribal about it. Deep down I know it's stupid though.
Arekkusu
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by nextplanet)
Ive never understood dedicated football supporters but that is why im making this thread to find out. I dont get how people can feel so good when the team they support wins or feel so low when they lose. If I achieve something I feel really good but if a team who I support achieves Im glad but dont feel much else because it doesnt have any affect on MY life:confused:

This is what I dont understand, how come man city fans are sooo elated when the result has no effect on their own lives? Or maybe im overestimating the feeling.. is the feeling when your fave team loses similar to heartbreak when one of your relationships ends (some fans cry for days)?

Im not judging anyone or anything people can feel what they like but im trying to understand it as ive always been curious what makes fans so dedicated when a football team doesnt affect your life in any way:confused:
It comes from the era before the 1950's when people didn't move around as much. The local football team is a very tangible symbol of local pride, local rivalry. For example, the cities of Liverpool and Manchester, Portsmouth and Southampton etc have always been rivals for economic reasons. However, boasting that your city has made more money than the other city isn't very visceral. The football team is a more immediate satisfaction of the tribal desire to be part of a group and to challenge your rivals.

Support for a team is usually passed down the generations, though in the globalised era more people of every class have chosen to be glory hunters.

Football and rugby are the only sports in Britain where teams are based around their city. That's why things like tennis, snooker or touring car racing aren't as compelling or popular.

If you want a girly analogy, supporting a football team is a bit like being married. You love them with an inexpressible love, but spend most of your time rolling your eyes at their ineptitude and moaning about them to your friends. It's all worth it though for the romantic moment when your team lifts the Johnstone's Paint trophy or gets promoted to the heady heights of League One.
nextplanet
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by QwertyG)
Saw the gender sign and stopped reading
Im not a girly girl, Im asking to get an answer because im curious Im not complaining about anything.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (149)
61.83%
I don't have everything I need (92)
38.17%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed