Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I found myself thinking today about the university system. When a friend told me that Imperial there was 45% international students... I think this is ridicules. British universities should be British resource, not an International one. If British universities where kept British, this would give more British people the chance of a better education.

Can anyone help me find the flaws in that argument?

ReputationRep:
    A high number of international students increases funding and international recognition of the university, providing more opportunity for British students at the university after they graduate.

That's one argument.

ReputationRep:
    International students sometimes have a much better attitude to study and education (i.e. the sort that is appropriate for a uni). And they get better grades on average too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by capslock)
    I found myself thinking today about the university system. When a friend told me that Imperial there was 45% international students... I think this is ridicules. British universities should be British resource, not an International one. If British universities where kept British, this would give more British people the chance of a better education.

students from different countries increase the cultural diversity of a uni, which can mean a broader uni experience for ppl, and of course they have to pay loads which means more funds which benefits everyone... can see how it could be though that 45% is pushing UK residents out, but if any student is genuinely smart enough to be there then they should get a fair chance to go, like anyone else

ReputationRep:

Doesn't many leading universities in Britain have international lectueurs as well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gnostic)
    Education is not a charity - the best and brightest are not always British.
    Whilst this is undoubtedly true most unis have a set number of places reserved specifically for international students due to their need for funding. This is what I find so wrong as it is evident that the increasing divide between British and International students clearly represents a bias.

ReputationRep:

Taking in the best of the foreign applicants, British universities can maintain a very high academic level as well as high prestige. This benefits the British students attending them.

ReputationRep:
    Imperial is in London and so attracts more foreign students than most universities...

ReputationRep:
    Education is not a charity - the best and brightest are not always British. Our best universities want the best - and this will mean that a proportion of their students will be foreign.

lol, your opener made me chuckle. Actually, universities DO have charity status. Although I don't quite understand the how the two clauses in your first sentence relate to each other. Are you somehow implying that charities do not seek the best and the brightest people (they can) to help fulfill their aims?

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a problem with the amount of international students, I don't think they get priority or anything, I think they get as equal a chance as Brits. They do have to pay more money, so it's not like the government are funding them.
    You wouldn't want to stop it, because if you had the opportunity to go to university in another country yourself, you wouldn't want them to say sorry no foreigners!! Works both ways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shazza)
    I don't have a problem with the amount of international students, I don't think they get priority or anything, I think they get as equal a chance as Brits. They do have to pay more money, so it's not like the government are funding them.
    You wouldn't want to stop it, because if you had the opportunity to go to university in another country yourself, you wouldn't want them to say sorry no foreigners!! Works both ways.

im indian so i aint racist but i think alot of foreign students are soooooooo rude! I work at the cinema, they never say thank you, or hello, or look at you, they just ignore u n go one to lord of the ring and carry on with the convo on thier mobile fone! how rude!!!!!!!!!!!! im going to warwick in spet no doubt will i come across plenty! rrrrrrrrrrrr but some r nice, sach from japan love u!

ReputationRep:
    That is illogical. Just because a person is Indian it doesn't logically follow that that person is not racist. For example, some of the most racist people I have ever met are black.
    why do sum ppl twist things!??WEWQ?$E£$? i was refering to myself n not the rest of the population u div

ReputationRep:
    i gotta say right, and i'm sure it's quite wrong to say but,

i really think that people should stay where they are, and not move into other countries and ****! whether it be for education/work/whatever! that's just my opinion

sorry of i have offended

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparkler)
    i gotta say right, and i'm sure it's quite wrong to say but,

i really think that people should stay where they are, and not move into other countries and ****! whether it be for education/work/whatever! that's just my opinion

sorry of i have offended
    Don't international students bring money in, though? You are right - that was a really, really stupid thing to say. Do people 'own' the world?

Ben

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.