The Student Room Group

Higher English 2012 Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 640
Original post by TheDuck!
Indeed, my next exam is maths. I am studying for it right now. I am scared that some really weird question is going to come up in the paper. They always seem to throw in something odd in each year.

My dream of getting 5 A's is probably not going to come a reality. I will probably get 4 A's and a B in English. Maths is also not one of my strongest subjects. I used to be good at it but I just started to go downhill all of a sudden. I will probably be fine since we have got 3 days to revise for it though.

You sound very similar to me for maths, I worry that they always throw in a rogue question in paper 2, and it's usually worth 8 - 10 marks overall:s-smilie: But I generally make it up with my mark in paper 1, so hopefully it'll be all good.

Did you get 5 A's in your prelims?
Reply 641
Original post by rawragee
I've got a gut feeling that I haven't done as well as expected in English :frown:
My answers to Section One weren't that great, and although I did answer every question in the paper, my expression was awful! Also, all complicated language I knew went out the window :rolleyes:

In the Close Reading paper you aren't assessed on the quality of your expression. Indeed the marking instructions clearly state that you will gain marks if you have answered the question, irrespective of how laboured your answer was.

So don't panic. :smile:
Reply 642
Original post by McCaw95
You sound very similar to me for maths, I worry that they always throw in a rogue question in paper 2, and it's usually worth 8 - 10 marks overall:s-smilie: But I generally make it up with my mark in paper 1, so hopefully it'll be all good.

Did you get 5 A's in your prelims?

Nope, I got 4 A's and a B. I got a B in maths but only because I kept making extremely stupid mistakes which I would usually never do. I should have got an A but things don't always go to plan as I know too well.

How did you do in your prelims?

I don't know if my last message worked properly(it didn't show up in your quote) as I had to edit it because I forgot to answer your question :smile: It says:

For my essays I done a poem called "To his Coy Mistress" by Andrew Marvell and a non fiction text called "A Hanging" by George Orwell. I doubt you will have done them. They are pretty strange pieces. Unique. I don't know anyone else other than the people in my class who have done them. They were not my first choices btw but I still think I managed to write good essays with them. Who knows, maybe the rarity of people doing them will push up my mark.

What did your write about?
Reply 643
Has a Higher History thread been made in time for Friday?

:smile:
No

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 645
Original post by TheDuck!
Nope, I got 4 A's and a B. I got a B in maths but only because I kept making extremely stupid mistakes which I would usually never do. I should have got an A but things don't always go to plan as I know too well.

How did you do in your prelims?

I don't know if my last message worked properly(it didn't show up in your quote) as I had to edit it because I forgot to answer your question :smile: It says:

For my essays I done a poem called "To his Coy Mistress" by Andrew Marvell and a non fiction text called "A Hanging" by George Orwell. I doubt you will have done them. They are pretty strange pieces. Unique. I don't know anyone else other than the people in my class who have done them. They were not my first choices btw but I still think I managed to write good essays with them. Who knows, maybe the rarity of people doing them will push up my mark.

What did your write about?

I got 4 A's and a B, the B being for English, and I'd take that in August if I'm honest.

I did "Lord of the Flies" as my fiction prose, very obvious, and "A View from the Bridge" as my drama. I did questions 1 and 5, but I realise now that 8 could have been done as well for LOTF. But my major concern is that I didn't write enough, I only wrote about 4 or 5 pages per essay, people were coming out of my exam saying they had used up the 16 page booklet and needed more paper :s-smilie:
Reply 646
SQA
OP
Original post by McCaw95
I got 4 A's and a B, the B being for English, and I'd take that in August if I'm honest.

I did "Lord of the Flies" as my fiction prose, very obvious, and "A View from the Bridge" as my drama. I did questions 1 and 5, but I realise now that 8 could have been done as well for LOTF. But my major concern is that I didn't write enough, I only wrote about 4 or 5 pages per essay, people were coming out of my exam saying they had used up the 16 page booklet and needed more paper :s-smilie:

Those people were probably fooling you or exaggerating
Reply 647
Original post by SQA
Those people were probably fooling you or exaggerating

Probably, although there are some people who I did see in the exam room asking for more paper. Quality over quantity though I guess - whether what I wrote was quality or not is a different matter :s-smilie:
Original post by Direct15
Yep I was one who asked for more paper the time just seemed to drag Along. I stop and thought hey A conclusion in ten minutes I need to slow down

How can you write so much?!!! I could barely do two pages for each question. What questions did you do??
Original post by McCaw95
Probably, although there are some people who I did see in the exam room asking for more paper. Quality over quantity though I guess - whether what I wrote was quality or not is a different matter :s-smilie:

Not necessarily. Ive found the more you write the higher the mark out of 25 is likely to be.
Reply 650
Original post by Ayesha.Tabassam95
Not necessarily. Ive found the more you write the higher the mark out of 25 is likely to be.

throughout this whole year of higher english my essays have been 2-3 sides of A4 - maximum 3 sides of A4 and i mostly get 21/23 sometimes even 25! :smile:
Reply 651
Original post by Ayesha.Tabassam95

As long as you don't ramble or waffle then yes, than can be the case. Trouble is I tend to waffle when I try to write long essays. I thought 5 pages per essay was genuinely quite a lot given the timing and pressure conditions, but in the scheme of things it might not have been :s-smilie:
Original post by meganrachaelx
When do yous think they will release the close reading answers ? I'm a bit worried about how i done, im usually a hit or a miss with them although i think i did okay yesterday.

They're usually months off yet.
Reply 653
Original post by McCaw95

I am sure you will be fine. I have wrote 3/4 page essays before and got 19s so I wouldn't worry too much about it. I have read lord of the flies before. Not to write essays on it or anything though. I really liked it. A film was made of it many years ago(a black and white film) and it is one of the best films I have ever watched. It is probably my favourite film. It was on a BBC channel near the start of the year so look out for it if you haven't already seen it. I definitely recommend watching it.
Reply 654
Original post by TheUnbeliever
They're usually months off yet.

We get results 9th August.
Didn't they release the marking instructions on October time last year? :s-smilie:
Original post by Maryam A
throughout this whole year of higher english my essays have been 2-3 sides of A4 - maximum 3 sides of A4 and i mostly get 21/23 sometimes even 25! :smile:

What?! You must be really smart at english then! I take it you got an A band 1 in your prelim then?!!!
Reply 656
Original post by lapples
We get results 9th August.
Didn't they release the marking instructions on October time last year? :s-smilie:

Is it not the 7th we get our results?
Original post by McCaw95
As long as you don't ramble or waffle then yes, than can be the case. Trouble is I tend to waffle when I try to write long essays. I thought 5 pages per essay was genuinely quite a lot given the timing and pressure conditions, but in the scheme of things it might not have been :s-smilie:

Thats the thing though the more you waffle, the more marks you get because amongst all the crap you write, there are bound to be marks. If you get what Im saying??
Reply 658
Original post by auberjean
Is it not the 7th we get our results?

'Tis indeed :tongue:
Reply 659
Last years I remember marking instructions being up a week-ish before results, because I looked at the maths one a good few days before I got my results.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending