The Student Room Group

Higher English 2012 Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Thanks. What mark is roughly a B for close reading?
Reply 61
Original post by benten17
I'm doing King Billy to. Well, I know it however I have one other poem, one novel and one non-fiction prose. I'm a bit worried though as I don't know whether to go back over King Billy, I know I'm leaving it late, or just risk it. Although there are quite often questions for the other poem I can't help but feel on edge about going in with just one poem and if there isn't a questions, well game over.
Do you think you'll do King Billy in the exam?

I really don't like King Billy, mostly due to the fact i don't really understand most of it :confused: I have only learned minimal quotes for this poem in the unfortunate circumstance that Ambulances does not come up since there has always been a question for it in the last 5 years! Really hoping I don't have to attempt King Billy because it really is my worst text :dong:
Original post by Scrabble96
Thanks. What mark is roughly a B for close reading?

I couldn't say, although you could enter your marks into the grade calculator (http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/46172.html) and see how it works out in an overall percentage. The boundary for a B last year was 55% overall I think
Reply 63
Original post by DragonWalnut157
I couldn't say, although you could enter your marks into the grade calculator (http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/46172.html) and see how it works out in an overall percentage. The boundary for a B last year was 55% overall I think

Thanks, you are a big help!
Original post by Scrabble96
Thanks, you are a big help!

No bother, good luck for tomorrow!! :biggrin:
I think I need to lose some stress aha :frown: decided I'm just going to stick on a movie and re-read notes/close reading help online, I know my quotes; I've done five close readings and ten timed essays so meh... just need to hope for the best I suppose, think positive and remember to answer the question!
Reply 66
Original post by hollieeilloh
I think I need to lose some stress aha :frown: decided I'm just going to stick on a movie and re-read notes/close reading help online, I know my quotes; I've done five close readings and ten timed essays so meh... just need to hope for the best I suppose, think positive and remember to answer the question!

Have you cried and ate ice-cream? I find it a great stress reliever :smile:
Original post by Direct15
Have you cried and ate ice-cream? I find it a great stress reliever :smile:

Thank you, that sounds like a plan :smile: think I'm going to head down to my friends with lots of junk food and ruin her revision!
Reply 68
I'm so scared in case the questions are bad and I spend too much time trying to pick one.
I'm learning Romeo And Juliet (drama), I'm The King of The Castle (prose), Sonnet 60, An Advancement of Learning and possibly The Horses (poetry). I really hope I get to write on Sonnet 60 and I'm the King of The Castle though.
See for Romeo and Juliet, I haven't learned anything on a turning point... Should I? People keep mentioning it, I don't know...
Also, is anybody else worried in case the close reading is awfully boring? I find it hard to read it properly if it is :frown:
Original post by dead101
I'm so scared in case the questions are bad and I spend too much time trying to pick one.
I'm learning Romeo And Juliet (drama), I'm The King of The Castle (prose), Sonnet 60, An Advancement of Learning and possibly The Horses (poetry). I really hope I get to write on Sonnet 60 and I'm the King of The Castle though.
See for Romeo and Juliet, I haven't learned anything on a turning point... Should I? People keep mentioning it, I don't know...
Also, is anybody else worried in case the close reading is awfully boring? I find it hard to read it properly if it is :frown:

im worried about it being boring, it always is, but SQA make it boring on purpose so that it tests us :/
the prose we studied was Gatsby so i am praying for a turning point or a setting question. For drama death of a salesman so really hoping for a question I can write about the restraunt scene.
I quite liked Boris Johnson's article last year, I doubt "Phooey!" will ever come up again though :frown:
Reply 72
If you get 17 or 19 for your essays what grade is that?
Cheers!
Reply 73
I just did the 2008 close reading, stunningly got 36/45 :biggrin: however not sure if it's just a lovely close reading, everyone else I know who did it did really well too! oh well, it's a massive confidence boost for the exam tomorrow. I've given up on learning new quotes, just going to focus on the ones I have now. I'm practicing my introductions, topic sentences and conclusions instead of doing whole essays because I don't have the patience to do a whole essay :tongue:
Reply 74
Original post by rawragee
I just did the 2008 close reading, stunningly got 36/45 :biggrin: however not sure if it's just a lovely close reading, everyone else I know who did it did really well too! oh well, it's a massive confidence boost for the exam tomorrow. I've given up on learning new quotes, just going to focus on the ones I have now. I'm practicing my introductions, topic sentences and conclusions instead of doing whole essays because I don't have the patience to do a whole essay :tongue:

I also got 36 in this one, and I'm generally not that good at close reading. However, I did the 2001 close reading the other day and got 40/50, somehow! :biggrin:
Reply 75
Original post by ..lauren
I also got 36 in this one, and I'm generally not that good at close reading. However, I did the 2001 close reading the other day and got 40/50, somehow! :biggrin:

I've discovered my marks massively increase when I ignore all the advice I was given by my teacher and just don't panic - also means I somehow get through it all much quicker too :smile:
Reply 76
I have tried learning three essays, nothing is sinking in!!!
Original post by Aishah123
If you get 17 or 19 for your essays what grade is that?
Cheers!

Both B's I think
Reply 78
I am honestly petrified for tomorrow.
I have had 15 for every single essay I have wrote this year except one I got a 17 then a couple I wrote for tutor who said would have marked them a high B or an A :/ It confuses me as I don't know wether my teachers mark harshly or not.
I am doing The ConeGatherers for my novel, Bold Girls for my play and War Photographer for my poem. I have learned 20 quotes for CG, about 40 for BG and learned my poem off by heart.
How has everyone been studying? And how many quotes have you's learned? :smile:
Original post by nnnn12
And how many quotes have you's learned? :smile:

For Hamlet if learnt around 37 quotes, although some are only a couple of words long. I've memorized 2 poems and I've got roughly 24 quotes for Small Island (novel). I've basically tried to make sure I can cover all the main themes as well as the lesser ones, just in case the questions aren't brilliant :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending