The Student Room Group

Let's not get down about exams...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Craming Revision
im depressed over my first exam lol :/ 7 more coming #**** life.

7? Wow I'd love to be you. I have 14 more :frown: Most of my friends have 17/18 more and one of them has 21 more (lots of re-sits) fhl!

OP yeah I agree. Personally I have NEVER EVER looked at 'unofficial Mark schemes' for exams I've sat on here because I know I'm just going to get myself all worked up, stressed and depressed. I prefer just waiting until results day :smile:

Good luck everyone!
Original post by minthumbugs
It's just so tempting to look! But I like that you're positive. Everyone around me stresses which makes me stress even more.

We all do it, I guess to just reassure ourselves and hopefully, put us at ease! But if we just know we did what we could and look to the next exam, then it minimises chances of regret...hopefully! Good luck with your exams :biggrin:
Original post by aspiringmed
7? Wow I'd love to be you. I have 14 more :frown: Most of my friends have 17/18 more and one of them has 21 more (lots of re-sits) fhl!

OP yeah I agree. Personally I have NEVER EVER looked at 'unofficial Mark schemes' for exams I've sat on here because I know I'm just going to get myself all worked up, stressed and depressed. I prefer just waiting until results day :smile:

Good luck everyone!

7 a level not gcses lol... i can take a **** on the gcse papers and still get a's and b's in them lol.. a level its harder mate
Original post by 24hoursmiles
We all do it, I guess to just reassure ourselves and hopefully, put us at ease! But if we just know we did what we could and look to the next exam, then it minimises chances of regret...hopefully! Good luck with your exams :biggrin:

I'm actually panicking and losing sleep over AS levels, worrying about A2 and how everyone else is doing so much better than I am. I've just given myself a migraine stressing and not taking anything in. My parents keep telling me to think positive but I'm finding it very difficult atm especially with a C1 exam tomorrow I don't think I can get better than an E in..sorry to suddenly rant! Good luck with yours :smile:
Reply 24
And, if the worst happens, you can take a year out, study hard and resit, get into the uni you want to, and at the same time get minted from working :smile:
I'm actually panicking and losing sleep over AS levels, worrying about A2 and how everyone else is doing so much better than I am. I've just given myself a migraine stressing and not taking anything in. My parents keep telling me to think positive but I'm finding it very difficult atm especially with a C1 exam tomorrow I don't think I can get better than an E in..sorry to suddenly rant! Good luck with yours :smile:

Honestly it's fine! Let it all out! Obviously I don't know what works best for you, but just sit down, with a drink, maybe a snack :wink: and just chill out for a few minutes...just sit down and tell yourself you've got it under control...if you find yourself sitting down and feeling overburdened by everything, just sort it out into manageable chunks and have a few mini breaks in between to collect your thoughts... I know it's hard to think positive, but do what you can, get a good nights sleep and tell yourself you can do it! I know it sounds childish and stuff but honestly if you think you can do it, you tend to remember things more easily rather than panicking and restricting your thoughts! So stay calm. Focused. Positive. And you will succeed. And gosh this message is really long, apologies :wink:
This has calmed me down! thank you (:
Original post by eawilliams
This has calmed me down! thank you (:

Glad I've helped :smile:
Reply 28
'Happiness depends upon ourselves.' - Aristotle

You can chose to be gutted about exams, or go out and enjoy summer!

[video="youtube;ADP65wbBUpc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADP65wbBUpc&ob=av2e[/video]
amen to that!
I prefer to think that I've done unimaginably awful at every exam, so I'm always satisfied on results day.
Thank you so much for this! It's exactly what i needed to read. Lately, like so many others, i've been so nervous about my exams despite putting in as much preparation and effort necessary for me to get the grades that i want to achieve. Being postitive and only doing your best, are what's important. :smile:
Original post by . .
If you're optimistic. You can only go down.

If you're pessimistic. You can only go up.

I prefer to be the latter.

Dude to this day (even after realising half a year a go) I still think your avatar is a big gorilla
Well, this has certainly lifted my spirits. Well said OP! :smile:
Nicely put :smile:
And yup, that is soooo me after exams!
Reply 35
My philosophy lecturer gave me a great piece of advice...

"During exams stay away from the panic society, be with the T'ai Chi/yoga masters."

And it's true, being with others who are panicking about their exams are more likely to make you panic about yours because you start questioning your work and revision. Do your best to remain calm and you'll be fine.
Original post by 24hoursmiles
Honestly it's fine! Let it all out! Obviously I don't know what works best for you, but just sit down, with a drink, maybe a snack :wink: and just chill out for a few minutes...just sit down and tell yourself you've got it under control...if you find yourself sitting down and feeling overburdened by everything, just sort it out into manageable chunks and have a few mini breaks in between to collect your thoughts... I know it's hard to think positive, but do what you can, get a good nights sleep and tell yourself you can do it! I know it sounds childish and stuff but honestly if you think you can do it, you tend to remember things more easily rather than panicking and restricting your thoughts! So stay calm. Focused. Positive. And you will succeed. And gosh this message is really long, apologies :wink:

I honestly can't thank you enough. I don't feel like I've been able to talk to anyone, my school is not used to people like me who can't even manage A levels, they're more the oxbridge type. After you replied, I had a hot chocolate and a shower and told myself to calm down and went to m4ths.com just to watch videos without feeling overwhelmed. I hope it's working, I feel a lot better and after not getting a good night's sleep last night, I'm going to go to bed early. There's nothing I can do now or change or wish I had done, everything happens for a reason right? Even my brother said panicking in the exam won't help at all and its better to think positive. And he's had to resit 3 maths modules 3 times! I've also been worried about university and although my parents said they didn't mind if I don't go, I feel like I'm letting them down. So I've decided to concentrate on exams and then deal with everything else in the summer. Sorry to bring the thread down but thank you so much! keep smiling and I'll try too :wink:
Reply 37
Original post by thetobbit
Dude to this day (even after realising half a year a go) I still think your avatar is a big gorilla

:lol:

I'll change it to something a little more friendly. :biggrin:
I honestly can't thank you enough. I don't feel like I've been able to talk to anyone, my school is not used to people like me who can't even manage A levels, they're more the oxbridge type. After you replied, I had a hot chocolate and a shower and told myself to calm down and went to m4ths.com just to watch videos without feeling overwhelmed. I hope it's working, I feel a lot better and after not getting a good night's sleep last night, I'm going to go to bed early. There's nothing I can do now or change or wish I had done, everything happens for a reason right? Even my brother said panicking in the exam won't help at all and its better to think positive. And he's had to resit 3 maths modules 3 times! I've also been worried about university and although my parents said they didn't mind if I don't go, I feel like I'm letting them down. So I've decided to concentrate on exams and then deal with everything else in the summer. Sorry to bring the thread down but thank you so much! keep smiling and I'll try too :wink:

The bit in bold, I completely see where you're coming from! My parents encouraged me to do well all through school and I know they believe in me. I also know they would be proud of me for just doing my best even if I don't do as well as I'd hoped. Even so, my biggest fear in exams is letting them down, even though I've just rationally stated that I wouldn't be letting them down, as long as I try my best.

fkasghdjsg :frown: It's annoying :lol:
everything happens for a reason rights

Exactly, everything happens for a reason and hey' if something doesn't turn out just how you wanted it, yet you tried your hardest, it wasn't your time to shine :wink:

Original post by Little Hobbit
The bit in bold, I completely see where you're coming from! My parents encouraged me to do well all through school and I know they believe in me. I also know they would be proud of me for just doing my best even if I don't do as well as I'd hoped. Even so, my biggest fear in exams is letting them down, even though I've just rationally stated that I wouldn't be letting them down, as long as I try my best.

:frown: It's annoying :lol:

Totally agree! My parents just expect me to do well...they know il revise without them having to tell me yet now expect me to do amazing across the board..slight added pressure..but I just tell myself if I work hard and I'm happy then that's all that matters, Im sure they will be supportive of what I get :wink: so principle = don't focus on living upto their expectations, just do YOUR best :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending