Reading list - tempting fate?!

Watch
This discussion is closed.
fionah
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I've just been looking at the reading list for english at kings.. it's my first choice & I really plan on getting the ABB to get in! Whilst I don't have time to do anything other than coursework right now, after that (and over the summer) will I be tempting fate to buy books off the list and start reading them? What about everyone else? Are you going to read your reading list before you get there?
waiting2smile
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by fionah)
I've just been looking at the reading list for english at kings.. it's my first choice & I really plan on getting the ABB to get in! Whilst I don't have time to do anything other than coursework right now, after that (and over the summer) will I be tempting fate to buy books off the list and start reading them? What about everyone else? Are you going to read your reading list before you get there?
I can't decide between Kings and Royal Holloway for English. Why did you choose Kings?
*smile*
Report 16 years ago
I think the reason unis send out reading lists before you go is so that you can get some backgroud reading done before you go. However, I would leave doing this till after your exams since they are the things that will gain you entry to Kings. Take your books on holiday etc. Tutors will be impressed when you turn up enthusiastic and keen to start the year having background knowledge!!
fionah
Rep:
?
(Original post by waiting2smile)
I can't decide between Kings and Royal Holloway for English. Why did you choose Kings?
I had that exact dilemma! Heh. At the end of the day.. Royal h looked a little bit like a boarding school to me. And from what I hear it's pretty isolated. Which is nice, if that's what you're into.. but I dont think a campus like that would suit me.

Plus.. I want to study in london.. not in the outskirts of it. At kings I'll get up in the morning and walk over the bridge at waterloo to get to my lectures at the strand !

Just got to get ABB now. Heh. Good luck with your decision, i'm sure you'll make the right choice. Where are you having as your insurance??
waiting2smile
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I had that exact dilemma! Heh. At the end of the day.. Royal h looked a little bit like a boarding school to me. And from what I hear it's pretty isolated. Which is nice, if that's what you're into.. but I dont think a campus like that would suit me.

Plus.. I want to study in london.. not in the outskirts of it. At kings I'll get up in the morning and walk over the bridge at waterloo to get to my lectures at the strand !

Just got to get ABB now. Heh. Good luck with your decision, i'm sure you'll make the right choice. Where are you having as your insurance??
Royal Holloway looks beautiful, and they've lowered my offer to an ABB , plus they're eighth best for English...but...i'm not sure why i feel quite anxious about it...

Kings is friendly, everyone wants me to go there..but it feels too close to home. I'm not sure...And the offer is ABB

I guess i'm going to have to attend the open days. I don't know. Feel so confused :confused:
fionah
Rep:
?
Royal Holloway looks beautiful, and they've lowered my offer to an ABB , plus they're eighth best for English...but...i'm not sure why i feel quite anxious about it...

Kings is friendly, everyone wants me to go there..but it feels too close to home. I'm not sure...And the offer is ABB

I guess i'm going to have to attend the open days. I don't know. Feel so confused :confused:
Yeah I got ABB for both too.. And I know royal holloway is higher up for english but at the end of the day they are both pretty well respected universities and you shouldn't let your decision be made by any league tables!! Where do you live at the moment? Will u be moving into halls at either of these places? Because I imagine royal holloway would be very different if you're commuting there.. it's just i'm from exeter so i can't exactly pop home for my social life every weekend!! So I'm looking for somewhere that i'll really settle in at and kings was that for me.

Anywho, i'm just going on about myself here!! I'm sure you'll feel less :confused: once you've been to the open days. Are you going to the kings one on march 17th?
Geogger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

I'd definitely go and visit. A student I know at RH loves the course but RH is quite isolated and there is a big imbalance in females over males.
fionah
Rep:
?
Oh yeah this reminds me - I know someone else who had the exact same conundrum! Between RH and Kings I mean.. she settled for Rh in the end.
emom100
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i'd say with reading lists don't bother buying anything until you get to uni. You can normally get things cheaper and find out exactly what you need. I made the mistake of buying quite a few books a didn't really need.
fionah
Rep:
?
(Original post by emom100)
i'd say with reading lists don't bother buying anything until you get to uni. You can normally get things cheaper and find out exactly what you need. I made the mistake of buying quite a few books a didn't really need.
I wouldnt buy the .. like.. you know big things. Just the texts I'll be studying - not too expensive, especially if i pick up penguin classics!
Acid_Rain
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
How long after you accept a university's offer do reading lists get sent out??

Stupid question ... but do English Lit. students at all universities get them, cause I haven't seen them mentioned anywhere for Warwick or York??

I heard RH is really nice btw - not the liveliest place in the world tho My friend visited and loved it. I nearly applied there but its a little too close to home... I think I'd have been back every weekend.
fionah
Rep:
?
(Original post by Acid_Rain)
How long after you accept a university's offer do reading lists get sent out??

Stupid question ... but do English Lit. students at all universities get them, cause I haven't seen them mentioned anywhere for Warwick or York??

I heard RH is really nice btw - not the liveliest place in the world tho My friend visited and loved it. I nearly applied there but its a little too close to home... I think I'd have been back every weekend.
Well I dunno about York/Warwick but for Kings.. if you go to the department's homepage then they have a really comprehensive list of everything - all the lecture plans, how the module will be marked, and all the books that will be done So Ive worked out it will be 8 hours a week for the 3 years, sounds nice to me ! Hehe.
loftx
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I didn't buy my first book until the end of the first term But admittedly I am taking economics and maths. Theres probably no need to start thinking about reading lists yet - concentrate on getting the grades you need so you don't end up like me. If you are really eager just get them out of the library - a bit of extra reading won't hurt.
fionah
Rep:
?
No no .. I meant in the summer, I mean as my holiday reading and stuff. I LIKE the books I will be studying so I guess there will be no harm
Chicken
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
No no .. I meant in the summer, I mean as my holiday reading and stuff. I LIKE the books I will be studying so I guess there will be no harm
If you enjoy the books then you might as well start reading them, but you may have to re-read them when you get to uni as you will need the texts at different points across the year. You'll also need to read certain chapters of books to discuss at seminars and write essays on. But just don't be under the impression that if you've read them once then you won't have to read them again!

Oh and the penguin classics are the best book range to buy according to my flatmate who does English lit, as they're only £2.99 and the majority of the books on her reading list are published in that range.
loftx
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Ah yes sorry, should have read the post more carefully But yeah I say why not, though you could read some of the books on the reading lists of your first and insurance choices. It will prepare you for either outcome and wont make you feel like you're tempting fate.
Kay
Report 16 years ago
It's a good idea to start the reading, but how about instead of buying them (just incase!) you get them from your local library, that way you won't have to worry about costs or anything.

I definitely think it's a good idea though, to start you off on the right foot. I have a place to read English at King's too, but I'm putting it as my insurance choice rather than first. I already have my grades though so I'm going to start looking at reading lists as soon as I get round to it!
fionah
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kay)
It's a good idea to start the reading, but how about instead of buying them (just incase!) you get them from your local library, that way you won't have to worry about costs or anything.

I definitely think it's a good idea though, to start you off on the right foot. I have a place to read English at King's too, but I'm putting it as my insurance choice rather than first. I already have my grades though so I'm going to start looking at reading lists as soon as I get round to it!
Hi, how come you have an insurance place if you already have the grades?!
waiting2smile
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm beginning to warm to the idea of reading English at Kings, however i still havn't abandoned Royal Holloway. I'm going to leave it up to the impresssion they leave on me when i visit. As for reading. I'm a fast reader so i don't mind spending time reading ....
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the rest of the UK follow the Scottish Results changes announced?

Yes they should (92)
53.18%
No they should not (61)
35.26%
Abstain (20)
11.56%

Watched Threads