The Student Room Group

Becoming a tattoo artist?

Hey I've been wondering about becoming a tattooist and wondered what skills are needed for it?

I presume you need to be good at art so here's a link for my artwork:
http://www.redbubble.com/people/andytaylor
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1196548551#!/pages/Andrew-Taylor-Artist/277089305689042

Scroll to see replies

Tattoo artist would be a dream job for me haha. It's right up there with being an animator/concept artist.

From what I've heard you need to be very passionate and you will get turned down a LOT when you first start scouting for jobs. Most likely someone will give you an apprenticeship if you are lucky and you will need to be prepared to work very hard for very little at first, and you probably won't tattoo actual people for a while, depending on how quickly you pick it up. You might start out reworking client's existing tattoos - touching up the colour and redoing faded linework etc.

From your art it looks like you have a fantastic grasp of realistic depiction of tone and your facial construction is quite good too, keep at it and build a portfolio of work to show to potential employers. :smile:
Original post by ataylor222
Hey I've been wondering about becoming a tattooist and wondered what skills are needed for it?

I presume you need to be good at art so here's a link for my artwork:
http://www.redbubble.com/people/andytaylor
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1196548551#!/pages/Andrew-Taylor-Artist/277089305689042

You'll want to get some sort of first aid certificate, a blood borne pathogens certificate (if such a thing exists in the UK),then go around studios looking for an apprenticeship.
Reply 3
Original post by bananaslug77
Tattoo artist would be a dream job for me haha. It's right up there with being an animator/concept artist.

From what I've heard you need to be very passionate and you will get turned down a LOT when you first start scouting for jobs. Most likely someone will give you an apprenticeship if you are lucky and you will need to be prepared to work very hard for very little at first, and you probably won't tattoo actual people for a while, depending on how quickly you pick it up. You might start out reworking client's existing tattoos - touching up the colour and redoing faded linework etc.

From your art it looks like you have a fantastic grasp of realistic depiction of tone and your facial construction is quite good too, keep at it and build a portfolio of work to show to potential employers. :smile:

Well i seem to have a skill for getting turned down a lot and the hard work doesn't bother me at all. Don't know whether it's a stable career or not though?
Reply 4
Original post by Popppppy
You'll want to get some sort of first aid certificate, a blood borne pathogens certificate (if such a thing exists in the UK),then go around studios looking for an apprenticeship.

thank you i'll have a look into it
I heard that tattoo apprentices actually apprentice for around 7 years, not sure on how true that is. But I do know that the apprentice who was working in the tattoo parlour where I had mine done had been there for around a year and would only start tattooing clients later this year or early into next year.
I'd love to be a tattoo artist.
Yeah you will need to have an amazing portfolio and/or have a qualification in fine art to be considered I reckon.

Seems like you have a good talent.

In terms of stability you could probably make around £20 an hour once you hit your stride. Ultimately if I was in your shoes, I would have a view to open my own studio, so all the money you take is your own (as opposed to being paid hourly)?

At least this is what I think, I could stand to be corrected!

Good Luck
Reply 7
Draw on fruit. Seriously drawing on the skin texture is completely different to drawing on flat, smooth paper and fruit is a good intermediate step to get used to all the lumps and bumps.
Reply 8
Original post by lightweightbaby
Yeah you will need to have an amazing portfolio and/or have a qualification in fine art to be considered I reckon.

Degree not necessary; none of the tattooist I know have ever been to uni. Getting an apprenticeship + experience is much more important.
Reply 9
Original post by Muddy_Hands
Draw on fruit. Seriously drawing on the skin texture is completely different to drawing on flat, smooth paper and fruit is a good intermediate step to get used to all the lumps and bumps.

Or better get some pig skin from the butchers.
Reply 10
The idea of becoming a tattoo artist is too scary for me. What if I messed up? I would screw someone up for life.
Reply 11
Original post by Muddy_Hands

if i wasnt a student and could afford to buy fruit then that would be an awesome idea :P
Reply 13

ooh good reading thanks
Reply 14
do you think its worth starting tattoo designs or just concentrate on my artwork
Reply 15
Hi have you got any prenterships jobs going for my son please can you please Phone me on 01543 417756 thanks
I'm 16 and I was wondering if anyone knows any places' near south wales where they offer an apprenticeship. I've always been interested and since college hasn't been going so well to get in, I want to find a place where I could learn and provide for my hopeful future career of a tattoo artist.
Many thanks.
I want to start doing tattooing and i want to take courses from home to help me become one .i have never done anything like this before and have to skill it in but i can draw and i love tattoos and i have good people skills i really what to do this as i have want to for along time but i had dealt about doing it because i did think i would be good enough forit or might go wrong but why not im going for it would or could someone help me with this or guide me or somthing that could help much thankfull if could
Knowing a tattooist is really the way in. You can join the many people walking round studios with a portfolio asking to be taken on, but your work will obviously have to be top notch. I've known a few people tick the 'know a tattooist' box by getting a job at a studio doing reception work or something. The tattooist/studio will be having to spend a lot of time with you, so unless you walk in with a ****ing crazy portfolio, they'll want to get to know you first.
I want to become a tattooists after year 11, but I don't know any good colleges that do courses or apprenticeships for 16 year olds. I've always been interested in tattoos and drawing since I was young because most of my family draws and have tattoos. Buy lately I've been really busy and stressed with revision for my Exams, and I feel like my not food enough at drawing and that I won't be able to become what I've always wanted to be. If anyone has any opinions or advice please tell me.

Quick Reply