KS3 Sats on University application

Watch
This discussion is closed.
mattytaylor
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
This post may seem hilarious to some people but it’s not as funny as it sounds. I got EP in Science, only 2 people in the entire borough got it, and I got the higher mark. Not showing off of course. But the thing is, alot of people are telling me that KS3 Sats were completely meaningless. This is one of the few things i have ever achieved. Was it all for nothing? I want to go to a good university (maybe even oxbridge), I know that gcse and especially AS level results are far more important but is there anyway I can sneak this onto my personal statement or something. I'm in year 11 now, i'm just curious to know if what i did back in year 9 will have any affect on my application. Will universities give any importance to the Sats?
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
They won't give a damn I don't think, but you could work it into something like "I like to think I have achieved outstandingly throughout my education, from achieving the highest science mark in my borough for KS3 science, to ..."
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
They won't give a damn I don't think, but you could work it into something like "I like to think I have achieved outstandingly throughout my education, from achieving the highest science mark in my borough for KS3 science, to ..."
Whether you got Level 1 or EP at KS3 means zilch.
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm afraid the university wouldn't look at that KS3 mark as some form of achievement. More likely they would ask you as to why you didn't get the best mark for GCSE in science. And that would be a throny question indeed
emom100
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i'm afraid your achievement counts for nothing but at least you know with a base like that you are likely to go on and do very well anyway.
lalalaura
Report 16 years ago
whats EP?
TK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lalalaura)
whats EP?
exceptional performance
Tek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hahaha, I didn't even do this "key stage" malarky.
r316
Report 16 years ago
I did, and I understand why you might like to use this to your advantage for medical applications (I got 8 EP EP lol); but the others are right. Sats are pretty meaningless at that stage, esp. for medical school where everyone is good. Focus on your GCSEs- be confident that by application time, you'll hopefully have a lot more than sats in your favour.
cobra
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
SATS are done to test schools not pupils, even though teachers will tell you you need to do well, and thats y. But as regards university nobody gives a flying F*** and its quite possible that unless ur doin med or law noone will bother bout ur gcse grades as long as they're reasonable
mattytaylor
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I want to do medicine, so do you think its a good idea to mention this?
cobra
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by mattytaylor)
sats noone care anywhere no matter what, gcses as long as u got bout 10 As then u'll be ok at oxbridge, invidual marks arnt really important, and obiously AAA at A level
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by mattytaylor)
SATS are not qualifications, therefore they count for nothing - And that is zero.

If you mention them, it'll make you look stupid.
cobra
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bono)
SATS are not qualifications, therefore they count for nothing - And that is zero.

If you mention them, it'll make you look stupid.
That is very true, they'll laugh ur app all the way to the bin
GH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by cobra01977)
That is very true, they'll laugh ur app all the way to the bin
Maybe the recycling bin.
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
its good to see year11s thinking ahead to the ucas application stage
GH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hell, I had my CV written out in Y11.
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
Hell, I had my CV written out in Y11.
probably as part of your GCSE english coursework.
cobra
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
its good to see year11s thinking ahead to the ucas application stage
I agree, i never thought about it in yr 11, but from our school only bout 10 people are off to uni probably, but now at sixth form everyone i know is goin
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Lol. I never did them along with the vast majority of privately schooled children. We are doooomed.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (3)
5.66%
Confident (7)
13.21%
Indifferent (5)
9.43%
Unsure (11)
20.75%
Worried (27)
50.94%

Watched Threads