Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm perfectly normal in being a little sore having been rejected from Cambridge, but i'm not sure the course was right for me anyway(!). However noone from my school managed to secure places there this year (we normally have about 3-5 going to Camb. each year).
    My question is a simple one: Why is this?
    Is there a much larger numer of applicants this year?
    One clue may come from their persistent asking of whether I would accept a differred place (once on the app. form, 2x in the interview). Is there worry from students over tuition fees, meaning no-one is taking gap years or something?

Talking of tuition fees, i've seen no discussion of them AT ALL on these forums, maybe i'm not looking properly, but it feels like something we should discuss (thought probalby in an independent thread).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fishcat)
    I think I'm perfectly normal in being a little sore having been rejected from Cambridge, but i'm not sure the course was right for me anyway(!). However noone from my school managed to secure places there this year (we normally have about 3-5 going to Camb. each year).
    One clue may come from their persistent asking of whether I would accept a differred place (once on the app. form, 2x in the interview). Is there worry from students over tuition fees, meaning no-one is taking gap years or something?

Talking of tuition fees, i've seen no discussion of them AT ALL on these forums, maybe i'm not looking properly, but it feels like something we should discuss (thought probalby in an independent thread).
    it wont affect us as they start for people starting uni in 2006

ReputationRep:
    maybe i'm not looking properly.
    Yup.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    Yup.
    lol, sorry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Missmoneypenny)
    I was thinking more in terms of irrational fear and panic in the face of tuition fees.
    You know, like people rushing out to buy bread and milk when we had the oil strikes a few years ago: thus creating a problem where there wasn't one?

ReputationRep:
    We had the same at my school. We usually have about a 50% success rate with oxbridge applications...

This year we only got 1 out of 10.

ReputationRep:
    However noone from my school managed to secure places there this year (we normally have about 3-5 going to Camb. each year).
    I didn't realise there were quotas for the number of people Cambridge had to take from certain schools. Either they've stopped that, or no-one from your school performed well enough in interview. I'd just call it a random variation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marabara)
    I didn't realise there were quotas for the number of people Cambridge had to take from certain schools. Either they've stopped that, or no-one from your school performed well enough in interview. I'd just call it a random variation.
    I think there are 7 offers from cambridge and 1 from oxford this year in my college, we had more cambridge acceptions last year too, is there a reason do you reckon cos the applications to each were 50-50ish id guess, i know of many people who applied to oxford and were rejected.

My school says that applying to Cambridge is a complete lottery and advises everyone to apply to Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, I'd have preferred being asked to do deferred entry. Then I could take it. As it is, when I apply, I'm going to have to defer entry, because I'm too young. It means I will be hit by top-up fees.:-( Anyone know how much they're going to be?

ReputationRep:
    Oxford can also be a complete lottery. Only one out of six got in for English, noone for History (either ox or cam).

Not sure about the deferred entry thingy, it does seem strange for combridge to be filling up their colleges, when there will probably be a massive rush next year for places. Still, I'm not complaining

(Original post by winorloose)
    Oxford can also be a complete lottery. Only one out of six got in for English, noone for History (either ox or cam).

Not sure about the deferred entry thingy, it does seem strange for combridge to be filling up their colleges, when there will probably be a massive rush next year for places. Still, I'm not complaining
    Well it probably only applies to maths-based degrees, as the overwhelming majority of those who go to Oxbridge from my school do numerical courses.

ReputationRep:

hey, I'm totally feeling your pain! Applied to Kings at Camb for English, think i did pretty rubbish with my interview cos was ridiculously nervous, but i was a little disappointed they didnt give any feedback, would really have made it a lot easier to deal with if had known what i did wrong... understood they have loads of ppl to deal with, but a little insite at least lets those rejectd get something constructive from the experience. did anyone else get any feedback (however brief) on how their interview went?

ReputationRep:

My college found similar - last year they had 8 get into cambridge from a group of 15 that applied. This year it was 1 from 17 that applied.
    Trinity Hall were good enough to send some feedback on my interview to my tutor however. Apparently I lacked the 'spark' that they were looking for Ohhh well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Missmoneypenny)
    grrrr. not happy about these top up fees. will prob have debts for a long time.

ReputationRep:
    I'd agree with Harry Potter - it does seem to be a complete lottery - being accepted to Oxbridge. 5 people from my school applied this year, not one got in...it does make you wonder.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah - it's the same at my school. For about the past 5 or 6 years, the number of Oxbridge entrants had been rising year on year - to about 11 got in last year. This year - we only got in 3 (all to Oxford, none to Cambridge). We must look like right rubbish to other years, but the thing is, we had some really strong applicants this year (there were about 13 of us) and (not being biased) but we're not any worse than previous years. Oh well, that just shows how much of a lottery Oxbridge is I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    Well the majority here seem to have had lower numbers! who did get in then?

ReputationRep:
    Well the majority here seem to have had lower numbers! who did get in then?
    My school normally has about 10 - 15 people getting in (so roughly 10% of year). Not sure how many normally applied (year group is about 110), but the ratio of Cambridge to Oxford is normally equal. This year, 33 applied and no one got into Oxford, 7 to Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deianra)
    My school normally has about 10 - 15 people getting in (so roughly 10% of year). Not sure how many normally applied (year group is about 110), but the ratio of Cambridge to Oxford is normally equal. This year, 33 applied and no one got into Oxford, 7 to Cambridge.
    Yet another prime example. Are they taking a lot of overseas applicants in then?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.