Is it possible to get full course funding?

    • Thread Starter

    Ok, I've read on the student finance website that you get funding for your new course +1. I've already received funding for 2 years, however during those 2 years I was in a really bad place and was really miserable on my course. It even got to the point where I ended up placed in a psychiatric ward over suicide attempts and breakdowns. I took a bit of a break from my course to get emotional and mental help and finally feel in a place where I want to start a new course again, however after taking 2 years of funding already then technically I shouldn't be able to get funded for a new course and after all I've been through already I don't want to think that the bad place I'd been in had totally destroyed my chances of ever getting a degree as I would never be able to fund a year of a course myself. Is it possible to gain any sort of additional funding in a case such as this where health has got in the way of finishing a first degree?


    You could try to claim compelling personal reasons for one year, and if successful it would mean you would get full funding for the duration of a new course. You'd need a professional (doctor etc) to back you up with evidence, but from what you said that shouldn't be a problem.
Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 16, 2012
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What is stopping you from being in a happy relationship?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.