The Student Room Group

What to take personally please advise

Well this is to summarise my GCSE options for you:-

Maths = Target of an A and likely to achieve it (no way a*)
English = Very likely to get an A
Science = Currently on B but if i revise then A shouldnt be too hard
ICT = Already have achieved A*
business = A or A* likely
Geog = A or very high B minimum
Engineering= Double award (B/C:frown: likely)
French = A very likely

I would ideally like to become a pilot therefore i would like to take maths and physics. As a fallback i am interested in the world of Business and economics. ICT is a must for me to take. Which A levels would suit me

So far i have chosen Maths, Physics, Business Studies or economics and ICT but i cannot decide which to take AS and which to finish A2. Would these subject put too much strain upon me and would taking an extra AS be too much to ask.
Also i cannot decide between Business Studies and Economics can anyone help who have done either/both of these. All opinions welcome. I appreciate any contribution
Reply 1
As respect of qualifications

Maths+Physics .. all good
Economics is much more respected and in my view more interesting (+ harder) than business studies. Business studies afaik deals more with microeconomics more than the macro side.
ICT is not respected very much, but you have 3 other good choices, but I would not do it to A2 level.

5 AS levels is alot of work and I would advise against it.
Reply 2
If you did do 5 I'd recommend French. You seem to be good at it, and languages are an excellent skill in any field of work.
Reply 3
Thanks...l will bear that in mind. I think that ICT is a fair enough choice for me based on the fact that it is by far my best subject. Although i agree that A2 may be unneccesary. I suppose the best thing would be for me to wait till the end of the year and decide wether Maths, Physics or Economics was too harder work.
Reply 4
I have decided to take 4 AS levels afterall and 3 A levels afterwards. I still am very unsure as to what to take still though. I have an ultimate dream to become a commercial pilot (i have already has a few lessons and i have definatly been hooked) however i definatly still would like to keep my options wide open for another career within accountancy or Software development so do you people think that Maths and Physics are absolutely essential together? or is Physics pointless without maths or vice-versa. I am pretty set on Business Studies and i suppose ICT may be a good choice as a more laid back subject. But i cant help but feel that i need a more creative subject to show that i am good at a good range of subjects not just mathermatical ones so i suppose french may be a good idea.
english Lit- i hate reading but i am great at analysing stories + the workload would be too massive i bet. Thx for your help again i hope to hear some peoples advice.
Well i take maths, business and computing (ICT for geeks), as well as psychology, all at A2, and haven't found many workload problems. It is perfectly possible to do the four subjects you've listed into A2.
I didn't take physics because of the type of maths i wanted to do originally, and the two subjects aren't necesserily a combination.
It depends on which modules you take. Mechanics links in well with physics, so if you take the two, you should take this option.

Latest

Trending

Trending