The Student Room Group

What is toner for?

Hi, skincare has never been a massive priority for me, soap and water always did the job, however for my birthday my bf's mum got me a body shop voucher way back in November. I'm not a regular customer of the body shop and even boycotted it for a few years after they discontinued my favourite scent when I was 7 despite me writing a letter begging them not to. I ummed and ahhed over it for a while and then waited til after Christmas and chatted to lady who worked there and ended up getting myself a tea tree skincare pack. I use the cleanser and moisturiser daily and love it, but I'm not too convinced about the toner, I have used it a few times but its makes my face sting and I'm still unsure about the general purpose of a toner, can someone explain this to me and its it safe to use despite the stinging feeling?

Scroll to see replies

it's to restore the ph balance after the cleanser and prepare the skin for moisturizer
also gets rid of of the residue from the cleanser
it's not necessary in a skin care routine but i couldn't live without!
tea tree is quite harsh so that must be why it's stinging, not all toners are like that
lush ones do great ones, they only have a few ingredients so very natural and unaggravating
(edited 11 years ago)
I find that it helps to get rid of the traces of cleanser, but if you take care to do this anyway it's not all that necessary - I always felt less greasy when I used toner, but there are cleansers that don't make you greasy - I think some companies also argue that toner helps to close pores, so as not to clog them with moisturiser... I wouldn't dwell on this too much.

Personally, if it causes pain, I would avoid using it. And I agree with the above, some of the stuff by Lush is lovely. Natural ingredients ftw.
Reply 3
I used to use a Clinique set but I don't use a toner anymore and my skin is no better or worse now
Tea tree is used to treat spots and is quite a harsh ingredient, therefore I'd say this is the reason why it's stinging.
Reply 5
I have always applied toner to my skin,funnily enough I always find my skin feels greasier when I do not use it.As someone else said its the PH balance of the skin and if you cleanse and jump straight to moisturizing you could be overloading the skin with the same types of ingredients.Toner to me clears the skin and helps the moisturizer sit better. xx
Reply 6
To add what the other girls said, toner can also remove the 'invisible' makeup residue. I use makeup removers then wash my face with Clinique's gel or a different product..skin feels great but then I apply the toner with a cotton pad..and wow.. A lot of makeup dirt still left!
read this- http://www.beautymouth.com/2010/08/beauty-mouth-basics-toner.html?m=0

she really knows her stuff, I didn't use a toner before I read that and I bought a Vichy one the other day and my skin is already so much nicer!
Original post by parasitic
To add what the other girls said, toner can also remove the 'invisible' makeup residue. I use makeup removers then wash my face with Clinique's gel or a different product..skin feels great but then I apply the toner with a cotton pad..and wow.. A lot of makeup dirt still left!

do you not think you should just try and find a more effective cleanser/cleansing method? if you're having to use a makeup remover AND cleanser and you're still getting leftovers something's not right?
Reply 9
Original post by hannahhaworth
do you not think you should just try and find a more effective cleanser/cleansing method? if you're having to use a makeup remover AND cleanser and you're still getting leftovers something's not right?

True, I've used Garnier and I really liked its texture and how quickly it works..but after reading many recommendations on TSR about Ponds cold cream, I bought it..but I don't like it at all, it's worse than Garnier :/

I'm back to Garnier again, just the green bottle instead of my beloved pink. Perhaps I should try a different cleanser once I run out :/ any recommendations?
True, I've used Garnier and I really liked its texture and how quickly it works..but after reading many recommendations on TSR about Ponds cold cream, I bought it..but I don't like it at all, it's worse than Garnier :/

I'm back to Garnier again, just the green bottle instead of my beloved pink. Perhaps I should try a different cleanser once I run out :/ any recommendations?

I'm obsessed with Lush ultrabland, it's oil based but suitable for all skins. it gets off everything, I love it. it makes my skin so clean, you just slather it on (the texture is like butter), and wipe it off with a hot flannel.
liz Earle cleanse and polish is adored by loads but pricey, I tried superdrugs copy one, it's called hot cloth cleanser i think and it's from the vitamin e range, that was surprisingly good and cheap. no7 do one too which gets good reviews
there's also a cleansing balm by boots botanical I like..

basically cream or oil based cleansers actually clean your skin better than foaming ones surprisingly. the oil attracts oil and dirt in your pores and then you can just wipe it all away with hot water :smile:

http://www.beautymouth.com/2011/07/cleansing-cheat-sheet.html?m=0 read that for more info, I LOVE her!
A toner is used to, as a previous poster said, rebalance the pH of your skin. However, many toners contain alcohol which dries out your skin, so you should really avoid any toners with alcohol. As toners with alcohol are often those marketed for oiler skin (but not always, looking at your Clinique!) I would guess the toner you're using has alcohol in it, which teamed with the tea tree it will be what's stinging your face. Alcohol aggravates your skin, so you really don't want to be using too much of it. On the flip side, some toners contain moisturising agents to help put moisture back into drier skin after cleansing.
While I'm at it, it's worth noting that contrary to what many companies say a toner does not 'close your pores'. This is actually impossible, as they can only open and close if they have muscles, which they don't. All pores can do it harden and soften. That's why when you apply warm water to your face it's easier to get the gunk out your pores, because they are softer. But they CANNOT open or close.

As for toners getting off the left over dirt and makeup, this is something it's not good to do! If you are wearing makeup you should be cleansing your face twice; once to get the makeup off, second time to actually clean your skin. If you're using a toner and finding makeup residue on the cotton pad, then you're not cleansing your face well enough.

Honestly, a toner isn't necessary at all. You'd be doing your skin a much bigger favour by cleansing properly (twice!) using a gentle cleanser and using a moisturiser. Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish is a wonderful cleanser, and not as expensive as you might think, it's cheaper than Clinique, and not much more than The Body Shop!

Anyway, I've waffled on for too long! If it stings your skin, don't use it. But if you specifically want a toner, Liz Earle, Simple and Dermalogica make good, gentle, non drying ones. :smile:
Reply 12
i feel like its the difference between constant, spotty skin, and clear skin.

i use the anti-blemish solutions from clinque and when i dont use the toner, my skin doesnt get any worse, but it doesnt get any better. when i do use the toner, my spots are all gone within a couple of days.

i dont know what it does, but i do know that (my one at least) they contain a heck of a lot of strong alcohol!

me likey my toner :biggrin:
Original post by hannahhaworth
I'm obsessed with Lush ultrabland, it's oil based but suitable for all skins. it gets off everything, I love it. it makes my skin so clean, you just slather it on (the texture is like butter), and wipe it off with a hot flannel.
liz Earle cleanse and polish is adored by loads but pricey, I tried superdrugs copy one, it's called hot cloth cleanser i think and it's from the vitamin e range, that was surprisingly good and cheap. no7 do one too which gets good reviews
there's also a cleansing balm by boots botanical I like..

basically cream or oil based cleansers actually clean your skin better than foaming ones surprisingly. the oil attracts oil and dirt in your pores and then you can just wipe it all away with hot water :smile:

http://www.beautymouth.com/2011/07/cleansing-cheat-sheet.html?m=0 read that for more info, I LOVE her!

Thanks. I had a look at that blog and ended up spending quite some time reading her other blog posts.

The problem with me is I absolutely hate cream/balm type cleansers. I prefer the milk types..but I have always cleansed once, thinking the makeup is gone because it look like it is.. but from now on I will do it twice :biggrin:
Will try and find a good toner in milk consistency. I'm sure there must be something good. I'm still vary of oil ones because even if they are good for your skin I don't want them to remain there overnight.. After all you will be washing your face after cleansing, and oil and water don't mix well..so you can't really get rid off it. Ponds cream did this and I didn't like it, even if the oil made my skin feel smooth.
Thanks. I had a look at that blog and ended up spending quite some time reading her other blog posts.

The problem with me is I absolutely hate cream/balm type cleansers. I prefer the milk types..but I have always cleansed once, thinking the makeup is gone because it look like it is.. but from now on I will do it twice :biggrin:
Will try and find a good toner in milk consistency. I'm sure there must be something good. I'm still vary of oil ones because even if they are good for your skin I don't want them to remain there overnight.. After all you will be washing your face after cleansing, and oil and water don't mix well..so you can't really get rid off it. Ponds cream did this and I didn't like it, even if the oil made my skin feel smooth.

as long as you use hit water and scrub it well you really can't feel it after. and anyway all the cleansers on my little list have good stuff in that can be left on the skin, like things in moisturiser, so if anything it's good :smile: AND if you do use a toner it gets rid of the excess cleanser anyway (which is what they're meant to do, not make up!)
anyway, it's up to you, as long as you're cleansing twice now :wink: and I'm glad you like her blog, it's like my bible!

Hi :smile: I've just brought this cleansing milk by Dr Hausehka...and I was just wondering how to use it. Do I exfoliate and then apply the milk and then moisturize after? Or could I just use the milk? Is it necessary to moisturize after using the milk because I hate the heavy, greasy feel of a thick moisturizer on top...thank you :smile:
Original post by MissRiah12345
Hi :smile: I've just brought this cleansing milk by Dr Hausehka...and I was just wondering how to use it. Do I exfoliate and then apply the milk and then moisturize after? Or could I just use the milk? Is it necessary to moisturize after using the milk because I hate the heavy, greasy feel of a thick moisturizer on top...thank you :smile:

If it's a cleansing milk you don't need to exfoliate or do anything first. They are usually used to remove makeup, but at the same time any dirt on the face even if you have no makeup on. So the way I would use it is to put it on a cotton pad and wipe it all over the face. Do it twice if you're wearing makeup :smile:
Then wash it off with warm water. Then you can either leave your face alone, or apply a toner. Or any cream you like. You don't have to moisturise after using the cleansing milk. It's really up to you. I just tone + night cream. Or apply a non-oily moisturiser or brightening balm if it's during the day :smile:
If it's a cleansing milk you don't need to exfoliate or do anything first. They are usually used to remove makeup, but at the same time any dirt on the face even if you have no makeup on. So the way I would use it is to put it on a cotton pad and wipe it all over the face. Do it twice if you're wearing makeup :smile:
Then wash it off with warm water. Then you can either leave your face alone, or apply a toner. Or any cream you like. You don't have to moisturise after using the cleansing milk. It's really up to you. I just tone + night cream. Or apply a non-oily moisturiser or brightening balm if it's during the day :smile:

Ahh okay :smile: Thank you so much for your help :smile: I don't have a toner,... do you think it's worth me getting one?
Original post by MissRiah12345
Ahh okay :smile: Thank you so much for your help :smile: I don't have a toner,... do you think it's worth me getting one?

You don't have to buy one. It's just my routine after cleansing.
Toners are meant to restore your natural pH balance, which might have been affected by a strong cleanser. If you have a good skin you most likely don't really need one, so not really worth it.

I use it out of the habit now, can't really tell if it actually does anything but maybe helps my acne-prone skin a bit. (You can get all kinds of toners, for blackheads/blemishes, dry skin etc...) Perhaps get a simple one for £3 from boots or something and see if you notice any difference?
Original post by hippieglitter
Hi, skincare has never been a massive priority for me, soap and water always did the job, however for my birthday my bf's mum got me a body shop voucher way back in November. I'm not a regular customer of the body shop and even boycotted it for a few years after they discontinued my favourite scent when I was 7 despite me writing a letter begging them not to. I ummed and ahhed over it for a while and then waited til after Christmas and chatted to lady who worked there and ended up getting myself a tea tree skincare pack. I use the cleanser and moisturiser daily and love it, but I'm not too convinced about the toner, I have used it a few times but its makes my face sting and I'm still unsure about the general purpose of a toner, can someone explain this to me and its it safe to use despite the stinging feeling?

It's to replace the ink in your laser printer.

Quick Reply

Latest