AQA AS English Language Categorising Texts advice??

Watch
lozlestrange
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I'm resitting the AS exam on friday, just wanted to make sure I'm on track for an A because my teachers are really bad at getting anything back to me. If anyone would be nice enough to read my Jan 2010 answer and give me any advice it would be really appreciated!
Attached files
Craming Revision
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i'd give it a low D
lozlestrange
Rep:
?
great but thats not advice
Ahmeda1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
its a really good attempt...in my opinion i rate this a high B grade or even an A, as you are very clear, striaght to the point and this is very important as my English teacher has been stating for the past 7 months.

Advice that i will give you is to ensure you continue to use the P.E.E structure always refering to the text and always use quotes as you showed in that piece already!!!

Goodluck
Thatstudentdude
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I wouldn't personally state all the groupings in the first paragraph. Dive straight into the first paragraph by stating your FIRST grouping and then going on to explain it.

For the first time you mention each text too, state the audience, genre and purpose. This gives you a wider range in which to discuss how the linguistic features are used (as you've already laid the foundations of the a/g/p of said texts.)

Keep pounding on about the effects on readers - constantly refer to the effect after pretty much every point you make! Context too - try and include bundles of context; how, why, when, who, what. Ask these questions to yourself then put down the answers in essay form.

Apart from that, it looks like you've picked out necessary and relevant information for the texts (presuming you're correct, obviously we haven't seen the texts) so keep it up. It's got the main things in it, you just need to work on your fine techniques like structure and context. I'd definitely say it's a C at least, maybe a low B?

-edit- just a quick note I remembered! My teacher always told us to not repeat terminology, like I noticed you did with the 'standard english' points. Try and pick out different things to talk about each time you move on to a different text!
Craming Revision
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
sorry about the low d comment i was just trolling its actually really good and deserves a good high b or a low a thing is mate you need to like um makes 3 groups of 2/3 instead of like 4/5 in 1 group i know you were trying to get it all in 1 group but examiners want a wide range of groups to be categorised the terminology and pragmatics however are spot on lad gl for friday all
lozlestrange
Rep:
?
phew i was really worried when you said d! okay thanks for the advice everyone it was really helpful
Craming Revision
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
lool np and ahw **** its tomorow i'm kindah ****ting it but im not going to do english next year so its okkiiii
Ahmeda1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
ANYONE HELP PLEASE-for the text varieties section i always get stuck on how to stucture it. i always get confused on when to start talking about my texts and when to stop. and also say u got 3 (text a, b and c) in a group..u compare text a with b...so with wat text would you compare text c with???

also, can anyone giv us some good examples of decent groupings!

Thanks
TopStudent258
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ahmeda1 - After reading each texts and making quick notes on what's included in them, note down which texts you can group together i.e. Pragmatics - A,B and D etc. You don't necessarily have to compare them as long as you fully analyse the features of the texts. In a mock I said that three texts all achieved the same purpose via different discourse techniques and I still achieved a B so hope this was helpful.

If anyone is planning to do Power for section B what should I go over, don't want to prepare for Gender alone in case a transcript doesn't come up. Any advice would be grateful

Thanks
Ahmeda1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by TopStudent258)
Ahmeda1 - After reading each texts and making quick notes on what's included in them, note down which texts you can group together i.e. Pragmatics - A,B and D etc. You don't necessarily have to compare them as long as you fully analyse the features of the texts. In a mock I said that three texts all achieved the same purpose via different discourse techniques and I still achieved a B so hope this was helpful.

If anyone is planning to do Power for section B what should I go over, don't want to prepare for Gender alone in case a transcript doesn't come up. Any advice would be grateful

Thanks
Thanks alot...it really helped.
05whitejay
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
@TopStudent258 -

Here are some features and theory that you could look for.

Written texts:
- Faircloughs theory of synthetic personalisation eg. us of the pronoun 'you' or
overgeneralised statements such as 'have a nice day'. The effect of this is that it
directly addresses the audience, meaning they are more likely to follow.
- Modals. 'must', 'don't' they are verbs that express certainty eg. 'you must not walk through here'.
- Imperatives eg. orders such as 'do not park there'
- Declaratives - eg. 'we have the right to refuse entry'
- Specific lexical fields and jargon can be used to express superior knowledge
- Redundant and rhetorical questions eg. 'i bet you wish you hadn't said that don't you?'
- High register
- List of three

Spoken texts:

- Faircloughs idea of 'unequal encounters' one participant dominates the conversation, the 'powerful participant'
- Interruptions
- Holding the floor
- Assertion eg. stating an opinion as fact 'we are the most superior company'
- Assumptions
- Facts
- Forms of address
- Accommodation theory - speaker may 'converge' seeking 'covert prestige' eg. change their speech so that it is closer to the other participant. Or 'diverge' making it sound different perhaps so they sound more educated, 'overt prestige'
- Conversation theory, they may flout Grices maxims (quantity,quality,manner,relevance

Of course they are interchangeable, so some features may appear in either written or spoken texts. Additionally i know that there is an AO2 mark available for stating whether they are using 'influential' or 'instrumental' power.

Remember to link every point you make back to context looking at the reasons why the techniques have been used and why they are effective, because it is such a big percentage of the marks. An easy way to ensure you begin to do this is by explaining the genre, purpose and audience in the first paragraph.

Sorry this has been a bit of a brain dump, but it's been helpful revision for me writing it too. Hope it has helped you in some way.
Good luck for tomorrow
Craming Revision
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by 05whitejay)
@TopStudent258 -

Here are some features and theory that you could look for.

Written texts:
- Faircloughs theory of synthetic personalisation eg. us of the pronoun 'you' or
overgeneralised statements such as 'have a nice day'. The effect of this is that it
directly addresses the audience, meaning they are more likely to follow.
- Modals. 'must', 'don't' they are verbs that express certainty eg. 'you must not walk through here'.
- Imperatives eg. orders such as 'do not park there'
- Declaratives - eg. 'we have the right to refuse entry'
- Specific lexical fields and jargon can be used to express superior knowledge
- Redundant and rhetorical questions eg. 'i bet you wish you hadn't said that don't you?'
- High register
- List of three

Spoken texts:

- Faircloughs idea of 'unequal encounters' one participant dominates the conversation, the 'powerful participant'
- Interruptions
- Holding the floor
- Assertion eg. stating an opinion as fact 'we are the most superior company'
- Assumptions
- Facts
- Forms of address
- Accommodation theory - speaker may 'converge' seeking 'covert prestige' eg. change their speech so that it is closer to the other participant. Or 'diverge' making it sound different perhaps so they sound more educated, 'overt prestige'
- Conversation theory, they may flout Grices maxims (quantity,quality,manner,relevance

Of course they are interchangeable, so some features may appear in either written or spoken texts. Additionally i know that there is an AO2 mark available for stating whether they are using 'influential' or 'instrumental' power.

Remember to link every point you make back to context looking at the reasons why the techniques have been used and why they are effective, because it is such a big percentage of the marks. An easy way to ensure you begin to do this is by explaining the genre, purpose and audience in the first paragraph.

Sorry this has been a bit of a brain dump, but it's been helpful revision for me writing it too. Hope it has helped you in some way.
Good luck for tomorrow

cheers for that ma man!!! gl tomorow just started revising now considering all year i've been slacking or revising other subjects neglecting english o good im going to fail :/
AshleyUK
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You say to talk about influential/instrumental, I know what influential means like influencing someone to do something, like asking for a donation for example, whats instrumental? also should I talk about all the other powers which I can't remember what they are called? xD (if they apply of course), I got exam tommorow aswell, also it's A02 for context which like 16 marks then A03 is for 32 marks or something? What's A03 again and how do I hit the high marks in both of these areas. Thankyou
Thatstudentdude
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by AshleyUK)
You say to talk about influential/instrumental, I know what influential means like influencing someone to do something, like asking for a donation for example, whats instrumental? also should I talk about all the other powers which I can't remember what they are called? xD (if they apply of course), I got exam tommorow aswell, also it's A02 for context which like 16 marks then A03 is for 32 marks or something? What's A03 again and how do I hit the high marks in both of these areas. Thankyou
You're right, Influential power is influencing and coercing someone, e.g adverts, whereas Instrumental is institutional power e.g things like laws and rules.

Education and and Law are big factions of Instrumental power because Education requires students to follow teacher's rules and social rules, and Law requires you to well....follow the law.

You get the gist of it? There's loads of other examples for both of those types of power. Sorry, I can't help on the AO's, but I'd also like to know what AO3 is if anyone can help!?
AshleyUK
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Thatstudentdude)
You're right, Influential power is influencing and coercing someone, e.g adverts, whereas Instrumental is institutional power e.g things like laws and rules.

Education and and Law are big factions of Instrumental power because Education requires students to follow teacher's rules and social rules, and Law requires you to well....follow the law.

You get the gist of it? There's loads of other examples for both of those types of power. Sorry, I can't help on the AO's, but I'd also like to know what AO3 is if anyone can help!?
Cheers man

So instrumental power and influential power are the only powers I need to remember?

Also, exam tommorow people, if anyone could reply about the AO's would be appreciated by me and "thestudentdude", thankyou
hollyrb
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I am currently doing my English Language AS level and we are told to group on frameworks such as grammar, pragmatics, semantics, discourse structure, etc. You should point this out when you are grouping your texts. For example - My first grouping is texts A, B, and C on the basis of phonology as all three texts include rhyme. Then go on to compare similarities of these texts then pull them apart on their genre, audience, subject and purpose. Just a suggestion. Hope you do well
discuss
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by hollyrb)
I am currently doing my English Language AS level and we are told to group on frameworks such as grammar, pragmatics, semantics, discourse structure, etc. You should point this out when you are grouping your texts. For example - My first grouping is texts A, B, and C on the basis of phonology as all three texts include rhyme. Then go on to compare similarities of these texts then pull them apart on their genre, audience, subject and purpose. Just a suggestion. Hope you do well

is this okay - the way i go about doing it is i explain the gap formality and mode of each text and then say why i have grouped those texts. I then analyse each text on its a01 and then a03 .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (33)
14.93%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (68)
30.77%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (26)
11.76%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (19)
8.6%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (12)
5.43%
I think it's an unfair expectation (60)
27.15%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.36%

Watched Threads