The Student Room Group

Pros and Cons of Dialysis and Kidney Transplant

Hello,

Can someone please tell me what are the positives and negatives of having a Kidney Dialysis and also the positives and negatives of a Kidney Transplant.

I've got a GCSE Biology exam on Monday and am not sure what relevant points I can put down for these.

Don't know the exact mark scheme for GCSE, but, how hard can it be?

Pros: Obviously a longer life

Cons: Since it is a foreign body inside you, it has different antigenes on the cell membrane. So, your body will try and fight it off and as such, you will have to take drugs for the rest of your life, these drugs essentially weaken your immune system to stop it attacking the organ in question.

Chances are, you could die during surgery.
Original post by Dandaman9999
Hello,

Can someone please tell me what are the positives and negatives of having a Kidney Dialysis and also the positives and negatives of a Kidney Transplant.

I've got a GCSE Biology exam on Monday and am not sure what relevant points I can put down for these.

Dialysis positives:

You survive! :biggrin:

Peritoneal dialysis is pretty neat and convenient - you don't need to go to a hospital 3-4 times a week for up to 6-8 hours; this can be done in the comfort of your own home while you're asleep :yawn:

You don't need to wait for up to 3 years for a kidney off the transplant list

Good short-term solution, until you can find a donor kidney

Easy to handle if you're going abroad (sort of)

Dialysis negatives:

Can't be done forever; not a long-term solution

Haemodialysis can be very time-consuming

Transplant positives:

You get a kidney! :biggrin:

No inconvenience of dialysis :yy:

The donor can be living

The donor doesn't have to have the same blood group as you, although it would be very helpful

Transplant negatives:

Need to take immunosuppressant drugs for life; this can mean that you're more prone to catching an infection

Transplant list is quite long, so it could be up to 5 years before you get a kidney

I think I've covered things in enough depth / breadth; just add more points if you feel that I've missed out something major. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Scienceisgood
Don't know the exact mark scheme for GCSE, but, how hard can it be?

Pros: Obviously a longer life

Cons: Since it is a foreign body inside you, it has different antigenes on the cell membrane. So, your body will try and fight it off and as such, you will have to take drugs for the rest of your life, these drugs essentially weaken your immune system to stop it attacking the organ in question.

Chances are, you could die during surgery.

Thanks, but I was hoping for Pros and Cons for both treatments!

Original post by thegodofgod
Dialysis positives:

You survive! :biggrin:

Peritoneal dialysis is pretty neat and convenient - you don't need to go to a hospital 3-4 times a week for up to 6-8 hours; this can be done in the comfort of your own home while you're asleep :yawn:

You don't need to wait for up to 3 years for a kidney off the transplant list

Good short-term solution, until you can find a donor kidney

Easy to handle if you're going abroad (sort of)

Dialysis negatives:

Can't be done forever; not a long-term solution

Haemodialysis can be very time-consuming

Transplant positives:

You get a kidney! :biggrin:

No inconvenience of dialysis :yy:

The donor can be living

The donor doesn't have to have the same blood group as you, although it would be very helpful

Transplant negatives:

Need to take immunosuppressant drugs for life; this can mean that you're more prone to catching an infection

Transplant list is quite long, so it could be up to 5 years before you get a kidney

I think I've covered things in enough depth / breadth; just add more points if you feel that I've missed out something major. :smile:

Thank you, this is exactly what I was hoping for :smile:
Original post by Dandaman9999
Thanks, but I was hoping for Pros and Cons for both treatments!

Yeah, sorry, only read the kidney transplant and forgot about dialysis. Sorry. Although, the guy who posted after me essentially got everything except possibly dying during surgery. =l
Reply 5
Original post by Scienceisgood

Yeah, sorry, only read the kidney transplant and forgot about dialysis. Sorry. Although, the guy who posted after me essentially got everything except possibly dying during surgery. =l

Yep, it's fine :smile: thanks for your help for the Kidney Transplant anyway!

Quick Reply