The Student Room Group

Pharmacy Grades?

Hey

Recently there has been a lot of chat about uni places etc. But lets be honest you have to work very hard to get there for real. I got my A2 jan results yesterday and they were a little dissapointing.

Pharmacy students i was wondering what grades you were accepted at various schools of pharmacy with and if you had any shockers in jan.

A2 students, has anyone else been brought down to reality a bit with some dissappointing grades.

The worst part is i will have to work very hard to achieve a grade B in chemistry which i know is fundemental for uni applications. Pharmacy is the only thing i want to do and that has been the case for a while. I know i could do it because i plenty of experience and got offers from some of the best schools in the country.

i would really apprieciate plently of replies to this becuase i think loads of potential students could benefit from a thread like this
Any advice?

Thanx again
Reply 1
I was also very disopointed with my A2 january results. Im predicted AAAB and my results were EEU. I cannot believe it.

Have not stopped crying and it feels like my results have been swapped with someone who is completely illiterate.

I have to work so hard now. Im gonna resit, get my papers back and get remarks in 2 exams = £147 (all of which my parents will be paying!).

EDIT: At the moment I have no idea what went wrong, I thought i would get ABC at the least! Im gobsmacked. My chemisrty teacher saiid that i worked too hard and exhausted myself. However, with all the resist that I will do in the summer, I will have to do a total of 12 exams.
Well good luck you guys! In my opinion, doing A Levels in modules is so much harder than just having a couple of exams at the end of the course. When I did mine in 2001, I did 2 modular A Levels (Maths, Chemistry) and 2 linear end-of-course exam ones (Physics, Design & Technology).

I found Physics and Tech a lot easier and got BB in those. Chemistry and Maths I came out with BC. I would have missed most of my university offers (since they wanted BBB with a B specified in maths) but I picked Kings firm (BBB) and Portsmouth (BBC) insurance and the Kings offer didn't specify the subjects so I got in... :smile:
Reply 3
Wow, its amazing how much I can relate to what you guys went through.

Basically from my experience:
I compeltely sailed through GCSE's, this gave me a false sense of security for my AS levels. I was predicted ABBB, I ended up getting BCCD. I was completely gutted, and I thought that me dreams of Pharmacy as completely out of the window. After all, my D was i chemistry. I had literally resigned myself to not going to a school of pharmacy and almost gave up.
But like you guys, I realised that Pharmacy was the only thing that I wanted to do, so I thought that I had nothing to lose. Unfortunately because of my lack of effort in AS levels meant that I had to work my ass off in the A2 year in order to get into uni at all. I worked really hard and put the effort in, did the resits and private study. The last year of my studies was very tough, mainly because I had no choice but to put the work in.
It turned out that my hard work paid off, and in the end I got AABB for my a-levels. I was chuffed and had realised that my hard work had paid off, and I got my B in chem and got into my first choice pharmacy uni. So basically, the moral is to work hard for your place at a school of pharmacy. The hard work will be worth it.
I got an offer of ABB.... but most schools of pharmacy I believe do offer BBB. However, some even offer BBC BCC so its not all bad!

So far, I am really enjoying the pharmacy degree.

So the answer to your queries are:
1) Offers range from ABB - BCC - check the UCAS web site for uni offers.
2) Yes, you might have to work hard to get the grades you need. If I had put the effort into my AS levels then I wouldnt have had to get my ass into gear in the last year. But if you were like me in a similar position, then its worth putting in the effort. Because it will pay off in the end.
3) If I can get a B in chem, then anyone can!

Good Luck with your applications :smile:
theepw
Reply 4
Hi... I am studying AS levels in bio, chem, english lit and geography at the moment. I've just got my january module results back and got an A in bio and a B in geography (which I will drop at the end of AS)... Anyway I've been predicted at least BBB for my A2s, which I think I should get provided I work hard enough and keep up my standards... So that is fine, but I am worried about my GCSE results. How much do pharmacy unis look at GCSEs?

I got 1 A, 4 B's, 3 C's, 1 D and 1 U... :/ Pretty bad I know (I'm kicking myself for not working hard enough!!!)... Anyway, could someone give me some advice? Thanks....
As long as your higher GCSE grades are in the sciences/maths/english then I would have thought that you should be OK.
Reply 6
i got A=maths A=psychology B=chem C=bio in dese jan modules .. but i applied for medicene however got all rejections sooo lsop it is for me ... but my aim is to get AA in chem and one other subject .. as i realli want to get that bursary fing from lsop ... i wonda if there is a chance of gettin into kings through clearing for pharmacy wit grades like AAAB? ... n e ideas kingspharm?
If there's any spaces in clearing then you've got a good chance. The only way that they will offer places in clearing is if a lot of people miss their grades and the university doesn't auto accept them anyway though so I wouldn't hold out on the chance that you'll get a place at KCL in clearing for Pharmacy.
Reply 8
theepw
Wow, its amazing how much I can relate to what you guys went through.

Basically from my experience:
I compeltely sailed through GCSE's, this gave me a false sense of security for my AS levels. I was predicted ABBB, I ended up getting BCCD. I was completely gutted, and I thought that me dreams of Pharmacy as completely out of the window. After all, my D was i chemistry. I had literally resigned myself to not going to a school of pharmacy and almost gave up.
But like you guys, I realised that Pharmacy was the only thing that I wanted to do, so I thought that I had nothing to lose. Unfortunately because of my lack of effort in AS levels meant that I had to work my ass off in the A2 year in order to get into uni at all. I worked really hard and put the effort in, did the resits and private study. The last year of my studies was very tough, mainly because I had no choice but to put the work in.
It turned out that my hard work paid off, and in the end I got AABB for my a-levels. I was chuffed and had realised that my hard work had paid off, and I got my B in chem and got into my first choice pharmacy uni. So basically, the moral is to work hard for your place at a school of pharmacy. The hard work will be worth it.
I got an offer of ABB.... but most schools of pharmacy I believe do offer BBB. However, some even offer BBC BCC so its not all bad!

So far, I am really enjoying the pharmacy degree.

So the answer to your queries are:
1) Offers range from ABB - BCC - check the UCAS web site for uni offers.
2) Yes, you might have to work hard to get the grades you need. If I had put the effort into my AS levels then I wouldnt have had to get my ass into gear in the last year. But if you were like me in a similar position, then its worth putting in the effort. Because it will pay off in the end.
3) If I can get a B in chem, then anyone can!

Good Luck with your applications :smile:
theepw

Wow you went from BCCD to AABB, thats pretty good and must have taken a lot of work.
I did the same thing too, great GCSE results, not one B and then I mucked up my AS exams and now i have soooo many exams to do, unfortunatly I didn't doo all my exams in january which was a stupid idea.

I got a B in my January chemistry foundation retake which isn't sooo bad.
But it's going to take all work and no play!
Reply 9
At the moment im doing intensives the workload is major and recently i missed a couple of weeks which is the equivalent to a whole module:frown: and from what some of you are saying i gather that you shouldnt go by your predicted grades which are ABB i already have my B in bio i got A's in biz and chem for AS 90% on average, did ur predicted grades not go by your AS results ? i know AS's are easy and there are gaps in my knowledge in A2's so should i be worried ? i thought it was just people who are doing intensives that have not got AS results for uni application and was partly the reason that i had so many rejections from universities that i consider to be poor :rolleyes: :rolleyes: oh well i still got an offer from Aston :biggrin: :biggrin: it seems that theres a lot of luck involved with getting offers at uni sorry about the essay please answer my questions someone.
Hi Guys

It may have changed now but when I was applying for Pharmacy, Nottingham was the place to go. Having been qualified for over ten years though, it doesn't seem to matter where you went, or even what degree you get. If you are a qualified pharmacist that's all that counts really. After al, you don't go the your GP and start asking him which school of medicine he went to etc and you don't do that at the pharmacy.

I think it may be an advantage in industry. I worked for a pharmaceutical company and most pharmacists there were from Nottingham Uni. But for retail I have never been asked where I studied, or what class of degree I got. I have worked in two hospitals and can't ever remember having been asked there either.
Reply 11
You work for a pharmaceutical company! Thats what I want to do, except I want to do pharmacology, ( I had my sight set on pharmacology, I then switched to pharmacy, and now Ive switched back!!! lol). Whats it like in industry? Is it interesting?
Its funny how some of you guys dont pull your weight until A2. You missed out on some serious easy marks in AS.
My A2's were on when the last world cup was on in Japan. My revision suffered accordingly :biggrin:
Luckily, my finals this year finish just before the world cup starts. I can't wait for the party afterwards!
Sadly you only get around 5-6 weeks off and have graduation plonked in the middle, so that hampers any serious travelling plans :frown:
papad
You work for a pharmaceutical company! Thats what I want to do, except I want to do pharmacology, ( I had my sight set on pharmacology, I then switched to pharmacy, and now Ive switched back!!! lol). Whats it like in industry? Is it interesting?

Yes I'd say it's interesting, but I worked in formulation development, not pharmacology. I like animals too much to do that kind of work myself.

I guess the sky's the limit as far as industry is concerned. If you get on, you can get on really well, and be a section/department head or higher.

You can enter industry with lots of degrees, from pharmacy, pharmacology, chemistry lots of subjects.
Reply 15
hi i new to this,

i just got my JAN results and resat them, i was so dissapointed i got a basically a BCC in my A-levels. Do you think any pharmacy schools will accepts me with them grades. B-ICT , C-Chem, C-Bio in London. Need help felling down big time :-(

thanks
You might get into somewhere like Brighton, Portsmouth, Bradford, places like that?
Reply 17
if i could get AAA in A-levels but have the chance of going to university foundation program at bath and then go on to study pharmacy at the university.. should i go to bath foundation year after AS's or should i continue Alevels with the chance of being accepted in UCL pharmacy or KCL pharmacy?

ive always wanted to live in london but dont know if bath is a nice place to live or not? i know it is 1 hour away from london so i could go in the weekends.. i dunno what i should do, im not looking forward to do A-levels as my school is really boring.
Hello my name is Ali khan and im still a student at school and i find being a pharmacist a very interestimg job and its very interesting and i needed to ask a very important question and i would really appreciate if anyone told me even though i can ask school teachers this but i find this.website more easier to communicate. What qualifications would i need to become a pharmacist? I would really apreciate if someone would tell me i am very keen on.finding out and i find haveing a good job such as a pharmacist is important in life

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending