The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE Latin summer 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Graceyfave
Let. It. Go. Jesus guys.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I'm only replying to those who believe that alternate quotations are correct, and actually I wouldn't mind discussing it further, until the matter is resolved when either hines admits his teacher was wrong or he proves that it can be translated like that.
Original post by Graceyfave
Omfg!!! There is always more than one translation for Latin- the words can be manipulated differently. So both of you be quiet and stop arguing! It's really pathetic!

OK, I'm sorry that you had to witness that. But that doesn't change the fact that his translation was wrong. I can't translate "etiam" ('even') as, say, 'great', even if I have a degree. :rolleyes: In the same way, "exciperent" cannot be 'listen'. Even if you have a degree.

Now ... onto the Aeneid?

If only someone would say something interesting or upload something they have on the Aeneid, it would be a good way to move the discussion to a more amiable area.

Original post by Tweak6
It really doesn't matter. Latin can be translated in a variety of different ways, as shown by the fact that many of us have different translations from different teachers, yet, by some sorcery, people with different teachers still manage to get full marks. Just because you find this part of the subject easy does not mean you are all knowing.
(Ugg sorry everyone, I had to get in there, I've been holding my tongue for the last 6 pages of the thread :s-smilie:)

Uggh ... I don't have to be all knowing to tell a mistake apart from a feasible translation. I just have to know a bit of Latin.

Apologies for my stream of comments, but I just got really annoyed when that guy insisted I was wrong just because his teacher had a degree. :rolleyes:

Original post by Tweak6
Anyways... can we talk about placement of words in the Virgil? I have notes saying things such as (for the line "flammam inter et hostes) "Inter is placed between the flames and the enemy, reflecting that there is danger on all sides."
Would I be able to put that down in the exam?

That sounds like a solid point to me, if it comes up. :smile:
For all those who are doing the Aeneid:

I have grouped together this massive set of questions, ranging from the simple 1 mark regurgitations to a large array of 10 markers, all from different passages that we study. These aren't just questions from last years paper, but loads of other useful ones that will aid in revision, all in the proper exam style.

Apologies for the large file download (88mb) but I had to scan in every page then convert it into a PDF file.

http://www.filefactory.com/file/7jk5azr8bhgv/n/Aeneid_Questions.pdf

(Apologies for the appalling file hosting website also, go through the free download and you will get it)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Big-Daddy
OK, I'm sorry that you had to witness that. But that doesn't change the fact that his translation was wrong. I can't translate "etiam" ('even') as, say, 'great', even if I have a degree. :rolleyes: In the same way, "exciperent" cannot be 'listen'. Even if you have a degree.

Now ... onto the Aeneid?

If only someone would say something interesting or upload something they have on the Aeneid, it would be a good way to move the discussion to a more amiable area.

Uggh ... I don't have to be all knowing to tell a mistake apart from a feasible translation. I just have to know a bit of Latin.

Apologies for my stream of comments, but I just got really annoyed when that guy insisted I was wrong just because his teacher had a degree. :rolleyes:

That sounds like a solid point to me, if it comes up. :smile:

Okay okay :P I'm glad it's all sorted out. Back to Latin friendliness!

Reply 584
Original post by ColUWill
For all those who are doing the Aeneid:

I have grouped together this massive set of questions

http://www.filefactory.com/file/7jk5azr8bhgv/n/Aeneid_Questions.pdf

Thank you, this is really useful :smile:
Reply 585
It's called alternative translation. Any further comments will be ignored.

Did anyone do Greek today? :smile:

Original post by hines

ME!!! I found it quite okay :tongue:. But why was Sychaes in the genitive!!! that threw me I just put 'her husband Sychaes' How did you find it??? I had half an hour so I checked it through quite a few times :biggrin:
Reply 587
Original post by NomNomNom :)
ME!!! I found it quite okay :tongue:. But why was Sychaes in the genitive!!! that threw me I just put 'her husband Sychaes' How did you find it??? I had half an hour so I checked it through quite a few times :biggrin:

Haha in the extra time I managed to write my answers so posted it in another thread :smile: we all found it quite alright except for a couple of 1 mark questions that were a bit weird.

Original post by hines
It's called alternative translation. Any further comments will be ignored.

No it isn't! Ask your teacher again please!
Can everyone just shut up about that bloody line!!!! It's one line from the whole of latin literature. It's not going to effect anyone. I'm getting really pissed off now :unimpreesed:
Original post by hines
Haha in the extra time I managed to write my answers so posted it in another thread :smile: we all found it quite alright except for a couple of 1 mark questions that were a bit weird.

Those 1 mark questions are very sneaky :holmes:

also... what's the thread? :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 591
Those 1 mark questions are very sneaky :holmes:

also... what's the thread? :biggrin:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2031743
Here :smile:

(edited 11 years ago)
So jealous you got to do classical greek :frown: , how hard is it?
Original post by metaltron
So jealous you got to do classical greek :frown: , how hard is it?

It's actually okay once you get used to it. I guess it's just harder because you have less time to learn it and you have to be at the same level as latin at the end of the course :biggrin: quite a challenge tbh. BUt it's a great language:tongue:
Original post by hines
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2031743
Here :smile:

thank you :biggrin:
It's actually okay once you get used to it. I guess it's just harder because you have less time to learn it and you have to be at the same level as latin at the end of the course :biggrin: quite a challenge tbh. BUt it's a great language:tongue:

Sound interesting! How much could you learn over the summer of the language?
Sound interesting! How much could you learn over the summer of the language?

it is :biggrin: meh I'd say (using John Taylor's book 'greek to gcse part 1' maybe up to constructions like the genitive absolute etc. it's quite hard to say though. there are two books that he's written for greek and they're really good as well :biggrin: it will be be worth your time, promise :smile:
it is :biggrin: meh I'd say (using John Taylor's book 'greek to gcse part 1' maybe up to constructions like the genitive absolute etc. it's quite hard to say though. there are two books that he's written for greek and they're really good as well :biggrin: it will be be worth your time, promise :smile:

Thanks! I might just try that and if I really like it I might try to find the Prose etc. :smile:
Reply 598
Hey does anyone know how many 10 markers there is going to be in Virgil? (Or is it going to be 1, like Prose?).
Thanks! I might just try that and if I really like it I might try to find the Prose etc. :smile:

For our Prose we did the Battle of Salamis (Herodotus) and for the verse we did the Iliad (Homer) the verse is really good :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending