This discussion is closed.
SAM*
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hello!

I was just wondering whether any one knows how many applicants Barts got this year for Medicine, how many interviews and offers they are making and what chance i have being a late interview candidate!
currency_westlake
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by SAM*)
Hello!

I was just wondering whether any one knows how many applicants Barts got this year for Medicine, how many interviews and offers they are making and what chance i have being a late interview candidate!
I'm afraid that I have no idea, but well done for choosing to apply to Bart's... My brother goes there and it's definetly the best med. school in London! I have seen how much fun he had there and whenever I visit him he's really enjoys showing me round - it's clear that everyone who goes there loves it.

It would be nice to hear from anyone else who has applied there, I would like to know what they think of it also...

Best of luck, I'm desperately waiting for a UoL decision as well! (LSE)

Tom
SAM*
(Original post by tomhitchings)
I'm afraid that I have no idea, but well done for choosing to apply to Bart's... My brother goes there and it's definetly the best med. school in London! I have seen how much fun he had there and whenever I visit him he's really enjoys showing me round - it's clear that everyone who goes there loves it.

It would be nice to hear from anyone else who has applied there, I would like to know what they think of it also...

Best of luck, I'm desperately waiting for a UoL decision as well! (LSE)

Tom
Hey thanks!

My brother is also still waiting for LSE! They are worse than medical admissions! Good luck! x
currency_westlake
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by SAM*)
Hey thanks!

My brother is also still waiting for LSE! They are worse than medical admissions! Good luck! x
Lol... Yes you're right, but I can still hope that maybe LSE will give me an offer. But anyway, I'm reluctant to turn your BART's forum into one on LSE... As a matter of interest where else did you apply to, my cousin is starting medicine at UCL this autumn (4 year course) and I have another cousin (!) at KCL.... Have you applied to either?

Thanks, Tom
SAM*
Lol... Yes you're right, but I can still hope that maybe LSE will give me an offer. But anyway, I'm reluctant to turn your BART's forum into one on LSE... As a matter of interest where else did you apply to, my cousin is starting medicine at UCL this autumn (4 year course) and I have another cousin (!) at KCL.... Have you applied to either?

Thanks, Tom
Hey i applied to both UCL and Kings, i got rejected by King's pre-interview and UCL post interview! I'm just trying to keep optimistic about the other two cause i really can't imagine me doing anything apart from medicine!

What did you apply to do? and where(apart from LSE)? have you had any offers?

Sam x
currency_westlake
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by SAM*)
Hey i applied to both UCL and Kings, i got rejected by King's pre-interview and UCL post interview! I'm just trying to keep optimistic about the other two cause i really can't imagine me doing anything apart from medicine!

What did you apply to do? and where(apart from LSE)? have you had any offers?

Sam x
Bad luck with UCL and KCL, however my brother had offers from all three (and Nottingham and Sheffield) but chose Queen Mary ahead of all of them. He went to all the uni's for interviews, and picked Barts because they were by far the most accomodating and supportive of their med. students. And furthermore, he really didn't like KCL (said the interviewers weren't listening to what he thought) and eventually picked QM over UCL because Bart's is such a brilliant place to work.

My brother also won what was effectively 'University of London Med. Student of the Year' and got a cheque of £5,000 and his dissertation is being published next year, so clearly you can achieve a great deal at QM even if (for some reason) its reputation is not as high as the others. And in case you're wondering my bro picked the six year course over the five year course and recommends it highly.

I applied to LSE for govt/eco, and it's my first choice followed by Warwick. I have been rejected by York (much to my disapointment) and have offers from Bath/Sheffield/Essex, however if I didn't get offers from LSE or Warwick then I would probable take a year out.

I really hope that you get an offer from Bart's and choose to go there, because not only is in an amazing med school, but my brother and all of his friends have had so much fun living in London, and I'm sure that you would too!

Best of luck,

Tom!x
SAM*

I applied to LSE for govt/eco, and it's my first choice followed by Warwick. I have been rejected by York (much to my disapointment) and have offers from Bath/Sheffield/Essex, however if I didn't get offers from LSE or Warwick then I would probable take a year out.
Hey!

Thankyou for ur help, i know what you mean at ppl looking down at Queen Mary's, frankly i think that getting in for medicine anywhere is an achievement. One of my friends also applied to do gov/eco $ PPE he has an offer from York $ Queen Mary, got rejected from warwick, oxford and durham despite having straight A's at AS level and GCSE's-outstanding application believe me! He's still hasn't heard from LSE and is waiting anxiously he also is planning to take a year out if he doesn't get into LSE!

I think there must be some kind of random selection going on when they have hundreds of applicants who are as good as one another! But i'm sure getting this far without rejection has gotta mean something- no news is good news- fingers crossed!

I wish you the best of luck, by the sounds of it you deserve to get into Warwick and LSE!

Sam xxx
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by SAM*)
Hey!

Thankyou for ur help, i know what you mean at ppl looking down at Queen Mary's, frankly i think that getting in for medicine anywhere is an achievement. One of my friends also applied to do gov/eco $ PPE he has an offer from York $ Queen Mary, got rejected from warwick, oxford and durham despite having straight A's at AS level and GCSE's-outstanding application believe me! He's still hasn't heard from LSE and is waiting anxiously he also is planning to take a year out if he doesn't get into LSE!

I think there must be some kind of random selection going on when they have hundreds of applicants who are as good as one another! But i'm sure getting this far without rejection has gotta mean something- no news is good news- fingers crossed!

I wish you the best of luck, by the sounds of it you deserve to get into Warwick and LSE!

Sam xxx
Sam, just out of curiosity, what GCSE and AS Grades did you get?
SAM*
(Original post by bono)
Sam, just out of curiosity, what GCSE and AS Grades did you get?
for GCSE i got 1a*, 5a's and 3b's and am predicted AAB for Alevel having got ABB for AS i also have AS level RE at grade B!

I know pretty average!
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by SAM*)
for GCSE i got 1a*, 5a's and 3b's and am predicted AAB for Alevel having got ABB for AS i also have AS level RE at grade B!

I know pretty average!
Don't worry, those are good grades, well done.

All the best with Imperial interview.
Kuz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by SAM*)
Hello!

My friend lollipop has got\ an offer from Barts recently and I'm uber proud of her, as its her first choice, she said the interview was really hard and she thought she did terribly but she got through with flying colours any offer of ABBB (I think) and her grades are fantastic so, I'm sure shes going to med school! Well done for choosing to go to Barts as I've heard its a friendly med school who are people driven more than result driven, and all med school students should be fighting to go there.
currency_westlake
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by SAM*)
Hey!

Sam xxx
Thank you also for your help, it is useful to know what has been happening with other peoples pol/eco applications. Sounds like your friend and I have a lot in common UCAS-wise. I can understand his disapointment about rejections and that he is considering a year out in case things don't go as planned. But you should encourage him to look closely at York, not only is it high in the league tables but it is also the most wonderful university that I have visited so far. I was so taken to it, which is why it is really dissapointing to be rejected.

As a matter of interest, if he were to take a year out would he take time off or carry on studying? i.e. Am I the only person that thinks they would rather do another year of Post-16 than go travelling?

You are absolutely right about Medical applications, regardless of where they study, any med. student is likely to be at the very top end of the academic spectrum. My brother tells me that when you go to uni med students feel a great deal of 'superiority' over everyone else! And if that isn't enough, you get to call yourself a doctor!

Thanks! Good luck etc.

Tom xx
SAM*
Thank you also for your help, it is useful to know what has been happening with other peoples pol/eco applications. Sounds like your friend and I have a lot in common UCAS-wise. I can understand his disapointment about rejections and that he is considering a year out in case things don't go as planned. But you should encourage him to look closely at York, not only is it high in the league tables but it is also the most wonderful university that I have visited so far. I was so taken to it, which is why it is really dissapointing to be rejected.

As a matter of interest, if he were to take a year out would he take time off or carry on studying? i.e. Am I the only person that thinks they would rather do another year of Post-16 than go travelling?

You are absolutely right about Medical applications, regardless of where they study, any med. student is likely to be at the very top end of the academic spectrum. My brother tells me that when you go to uni med students feel a great deal of 'superiority' over everyone else! And if that isn't enough, you get to call yourself a doctor!

Thanks! Good luck etc.

Tom xx
Hi Tom!

I imagine he would work, go travelling and do any retakes (which i doubt he would actually need to do).

The thing is my friend is so infatuated with LSE that i don't think he is paying York the attention it deserves because like you said it is a prestigious university and is a stunning place but he seems not to be that way inclined?

Keep me updated on any 'developments' with universities, etc! and GOOD LUCK!

Sam xx
currency_westlake
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by SAM*)
Hi Tom!

I imagine he would work, go travelling and do any retakes (which i doubt he would actually need to do).

The thing is my friend is so infatuated with LSE that i don't think he is paying York the attention it deserves because like you said it is a prestigious university and is a stunning place but he seems not to be that way inclined?

Keep me updated on any 'developments' with universities, etc! and GOOD LUCK!

Sam xx
Ahoy!

Thanks for the post... I maintain that you should try and persuade him to look closely at York, it is such an exceptional univeristy and the campus is beyond believe - I find it hard to believe that anyone can visit York Univ. and not want to go there! However, I do completely understand the LSE attraction, after I visited I could not imagine wanting to go anywhere else, and while I still urge him to give York a second chance, I know why he would want to think about taking a year out to reapply (I hope that I'm not trying to justify it to myself as well!)

I suspect that he, like the two of us, is just desperate to go to London. I have never had anything other than an incredible time in London - it's such a fun place to be. And as I have said, everything that my brother has passed onto me about going to uni in London has made me want to go there even more (he's 100% behind the re-apply to LSE approach if things go badly for me, in fact he completely hates the idea of me going to somehwere like Warwick..... hopefully that tells you something about how much fun he had at BARTS).

One final note, in case you are wondering, after six years at med. school, my brothers student debt is: £35,000!... But with that said his starting salary is £32,000 so it's definetly a worthwhile investment!

Speak to you soon no doubt!

Tomxxx
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How will you be receiving your results?

Going into school to pick them up (196)
33.39%
Receiving them online / by email (291)
49.57%
I still don't know (100)
17.04%

Watched Threads