The Student Room Group

Psychology AQA B PSYB1 23rd May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Guys I am so confused! basically I have done this exam on Jan and got high C, however I entetred myself for the retake which is due tormorow, and I have done literally no preparation for it, becuase of my other exams, so what would happen if i dont show up in the exam tomrrow? would i get a U or...?
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm repeating this exam before I do my final PSYB4 exam, and I think the key to succeeding in this exam is the short questions. Say for argument's sake that you get full marks in all the short questions including methods, you only need one or two marks in your essays to get an A. So my advice is to perfect them, and then do the essays as best you can afterwards.
Original post by Najeeb.B
Guys I am so confused! basically I have done this exam on Jan and got high C, however I entetred myself for the retake which is due tormorow, and I have done literally no preparation for it, becuase of my other exams, so what would happen if i dont show up in the exam tomrrow? would i get a U or...?

You should keep your C grade if you don't do the exam, I think.
I'm reallly not prepared for this exam! its my first time doing it, and im just not able to retain ANYTHINGGGG!!
Reply 24
Good luck! I skived today to do some last min revision.. got a B last time but need that A to help me get a B overall after doing unit 4!
Retaking to raise UMS, this helps for preparation of PSYB4, I really hope the questions are not worded in a tricky way tomorrow!
Reply 26
Original post by Najeeb.B

I was considering the same thing. I started revisig a few goes ago. you have some past knowledge if you got a C last time. i say cram as much as you can in. maybe focus on the easy stuff like research methods and main studies and points of the approaches and see how it goes. and if you don't attend thy won't give you a U, but an X indicating your weren't there
Reply 27
cramming in as much as I humanly can before the exam tomorrow LOL. if only I learnt to revise beforehand and not a day before the exam :frown:
Reply 28
any prediction whats gonna come up for unit 1? I swear there was a 10 mark on psychodynamic and humanistic approach jan '12 for the approaches. hopefully behaviourist will come up :biggrin:
Reply 29
Hello, just finished! :smile: does anyone know the answer for question 1? & will I be marked down if I put Bandura's bobo doll study for the evidence of SLT for gender development...and after that question, it would like ethical/methodology and i put it was lab based... if I got the first one wrong will my second answer be wrong as well :frown: ? thank you!
Reply 30
What's PSYB2 covering? What topics? I don't want to miss something, need to refresh my mind..
Just finished this exam and am reasonably confident. Here's my take (what I remember of the questions and my answer/interpretation). If I've forgotten any questions do mention them and I'll bring them up:

1a - "label the parts of the brain." This bit at the back was the visual centre, the bit at the bottom was the auditory centre, the bit at the top was the somatosensory centre

1b - "Evaluate EEGs to study localisation." I put one positive (few ethical issues as non-invasive) and one negative (crude measure so can be difficult to distinguish between different neurons firing)

1c - "Clarissa or someone has just failed a ballet exam or something, she's not upset, give a defence mechanism explaining why." The obvious one here is denial, but for some reason I went with repression. I think that still would get the marks

1d - "Give a limitation of the psychodynamic approach" I gave the obvious. It isn't scientific.

1e - "describe and evaluate the humanistic approach." Here you get 5 marks just for describing, and then 5 marks for saying what's good and what's bad. I contrasted it with the behaviourist approach because that's supposed to get you maximum marks

2a - "describe one study showing how social learning theorists investigate gender development." I went with Smith & Lloyd, but Idle, Fagot, McGhee and Frueh, Eccles, and Pfost and Fiore would all get credit. Studies from the nurture side of the debate (Furnham and Faragher, Manstead and Mcculloch, Fagot) might also get credit, but I didn't risk it. Bandura probably wouldn't get credit. The question only asked how the study was done, so I didn't mention the results of the experiment. Don't know if I'll lose marks for that.

2b - "give one methodological issue from the above study." I went with temporal validity but construct validity also works. You wouldn't get marks for mentioning the deception involved, or any other ethical problems.

2c - "Rafiqua is 2 and says she will grow up to be a daddy. What is gender stability and refer to what Rafiqua said?" I explained what stability is, how it's an aspect of Kohlberg's model, and explained why Rafiqua hasn't passed through this stage yet.

2d - "Shafalqua is 5 and asks if her auntie is now a man because she's had her hair cut short. What is gender constancy and refer to what Shafalqua said?" Again, explained what gender constancy is and why Shafalqua can be said not to have passed through it yet.

2e - "describe and evaluate the biological approach to gender, using evidence." I spent one page talking about what the biological approach says, including mentioning the chromosome difference, the hormone difference, and some brain differences (I said parts of the male hippocampus were bigger, actually it's parts of their hypothalamus, oops!) I then talked about hormone studies in support (I used Van Goozen and Galligani) and talked about studies that seem to support the innate nature of gender, such as early gender differences (connellan) and universal traits (williams and best). It was here I realised I hadn't mentioned anything about evolution, so included this in the evaluation, explaining why evidence of evolution supports the biological approach, I referenced Buss et al here showing that universal desires make certain behaviours evolutionarily advantageous. In talking about the negatives, I said social learning theory better explains cross cultural differences (I used Best et al, Mead takes too long to explain) and also there are cases when individuals can change gender (I used Rekers et al, Imperato-McGinley would have been a better choice). And then I tagged on a bit about criticism of hormone studies, referencing Slabbekoorn.

3a - "what can be said from the median scores?" The median scores for group B were greater than groups A, so you can say the fake estimate list influenced group B's decision, making it higher.

3b - "how could the students have been stratified?" I struggled on this. I knew what to say but didn't express myself very well. I said you could split the students into ages, and then take the proportionately appropriate amount from each age. I then gave the example that if you have 100 age 12 and 200 age 13 and 200 age 14, then to get 100 participants you would take 20, 40 and 40 respectively.

3c - "Why would repeated measures have been inappropriate?" I put that demand characteristics would have been guessed, and explained how that would affect the results. I think this is a better answer than practice effect or fatigue effect, but those would also get credit.

3d - "give one type of interview the psychologist could use after" What a dumb question. I just put "structured interview" and then explained what the term meant. Didn't even make my answer relevant to the cake experiment, and don't think I had to.

3e - "what's one limitation of using this type of interview?" Because structured interview, I put that further lines of investigation would be less likely to be brought up. If you put unstructured interview then something about difficulty comparing the results between interview answers would be good here.

No "draw a graph" question!

Overall, I'm pretty confident with how I did on this. Hope that helped :colondollar:
Reply 32
Original post by lumayaa
it's social influence, remembering and forgetting and anxiety disorders

well for us atleast. make sure you check with your teacher!!

So social cognition is not there?

I think theres also autism and perceptual processes?
Original post by jarekd1234
So social cognition is not there?

I think theres also autism and perceptual processes?

The second exam has 3 questions, like the first. Only each question is split into two parts and you only have to answer the part you like. For this reason some people learn everything so they can pick, and some just learn one of the topics.
The questions will be on
1) Social influence, conformity, obedience, defiance, issues in studying these
OR
Social cognition, impression formation, prejudice, attribution, attitudes

2) Memory, different models of memory, types of LTM, forgetting,
OR
The gestalt principles, depth cues, illusions, theories of perception, perceptual set

3) Phobias, OCD, symptoms, treatments, explanations
OR
Autism, definition, symptoms, treatments, explanations

:biggrin:
Reply 34
Original post by doodinthemood
The second exam has 3 questions, like the first. Only each question is split into two parts and you only have to answer the part you like. For this reason some people learn everything so they can pick, and some just learn one of the topics.
The questions will be on
1) Social influence, conformity, obedience, defiance, issues in studying these
OR
Social cognition, impression formation, prejudice, attribution, attitudes

2) Memory, different models of memory, types of LTM, forgetting,
OR
The gestalt principles, depth cues, illusions, theories of perception, perceptual set

3) Phobias, OCD, symptoms, treatments, explanations
OR
Autism, definition, symptoms, treatments, explanations

:biggrin:

Thanks
Reply 35
i think i failed, LOL. i hate humanistic approach:angry:
thank jesus i have my last years grade B
Reply 36
Just finished this exam and am reasonably confident. Here's my take (what I remember of the questions and my answer/interpretation). If I've forgotten any questions do mention them and I'll bring them up:

1a - "label the parts of the brain." This bit at the back was the visual centre, the bit at the bottom was the auditory centre, the bit at the top was the somatosensory centre

1b - "Evaluate EEGs to study localisation." I put one positive (few ethical issues as non-invasive) and one negative (crude measure so can be difficult to distinguish between different neurons firing)

1c - "Clarissa or someone has just failed a ballet exam or something, she's not upset, give a defence mechanism explaining why." The obvious one here is denial, but for some reason I went with repression. I think that still would get the marks

1d - "Give a limitation of the psychodynamic approach" I gave the obvious. It isn't scientific.

1e - "describe and evaluate the humanistic approach." Here you get 5 marks just for describing, and then 5 marks for saying what's good and what's bad. I contrasted it with the behaviourist approach because that's supposed to get you maximum marks

2a - "describe one study showing how social learning theorists investigate gender development." I went with Smith & Lloyd, but Idle, Fagot, McGhee and Frueh, Eccles, and Pfost and Fiore would all get credit. Studies from the nurture side of the debate (Furnham and Faragher, Manstead and Mcculloch, Fagot) might also get credit, but I didn't risk it. Bandura probably wouldn't get credit. The question only asked how the study was done, so I didn't mention the results of the experiment. Don't know if I'll lose marks for that.

2b - "give one methodological issue from the above study." I went with temporal validity but construct validity also works. You wouldn't get marks for mentioning the deception involved, or any other ethical problems.

2c - "Rafiqua is 2 and says she will grow up to be a daddy. What is gender stability and refer to what Rafiqua said?" I explained what stability is, how it's an aspect of Kohlberg's model, and explained why Rafiqua hasn't passed through this stage yet.

2d - "Shafalqua is 5 and asks if her auntie is now a man because she's had her hair cut short. What is gender constancy and refer to what Shafalqua said?" Again, explained what gender constancy is and why Shafalqua can be said not to have passed through it yet.

2e - "describe and evaluate the biological approach to gender, using evidence." I spent one page talking about what the biological approach says, including mentioning the chromosome difference, the hormone difference, and some brain differences (I said parts of the male hippocampus were bigger, actually it's parts of their hypothalamus, oops!) I then talked about hormone studies in support (I used Van Goozen and Galligani) and talked about studies that seem to support the innate nature of gender, such as early gender differences (connellan) and universal traits (williams and best). It was here I realised I hadn't mentioned anything about evolution, so included this in the evaluation, explaining why evidence of evolution supports the biological approach, I referenced Buss et al here showing that universal desires make certain behaviours evolutionarily advantageous. In talking about the negatives, I said social learning theory better explains cross cultural differences (I used Best et al, Mead takes too long to explain) and also there are cases when individuals can change gender (I used Rekers et al, Imperato-McGinley would have been a better choice). And then I tagged on a bit about criticism of hormone studies, referencing Slabbekoorn.

3a - "what can be said from the median scores?" The median scores for group B were greater than groups A, so you can say the fake estimate list influenced group B's decision, making it higher.

3b - "how could the students have been stratified?" I struggled on this. I knew what to say but didn't express myself very well. I said you could split the students into ages, and then take the proportionately appropriate amount from each age. I then gave the example that if you have 100 age 12 and 200 age 13 and 200 age 14, then to get 100 participants you would take 20, 40 and 40 respectively.

3c - "Why would repeated measures have been inappropriate?" I put that demand characteristics would have been guessed, and explained how that would affect the results. I think this is a better answer than practice effect or fatigue effect, but those would also get credit.

3d - "give one type of interview the psychologist could use after" What a dumb question. I just put "structured interview" and then explained what the term meant. Didn't even make my answer relevant to the cake experiment, and don't think I had to.

3e - "what's one limitation of using this type of interview?" Because structured interview, I put that further lines of investigation would be less likely to be brought up. If you put unstructured interview then something about difficulty comparing the results between interview answers would be good here.

Overall, I'm pretty confident with how I did on this. Hope that helped :colondollar:

How come you wouldnt get any marks for bandura? He did the bobo doll and said the gender of role model affects imitation ?
Reply 37

i cant believe this i had repression then crossed it out!! how many marks was that one again though? rest of the exam was pretty tidy though. also what order of letters did you get from the labeling of the brain?!
Original post by Laureenox
How come you wouldnt get any marks for bandura? He did the bobo doll and said the gender of role model affects imitation ?

The bobo doll wasn't an investigation into gender development.

Original post by rmay95
i cant believe this i had repression then crossed it out!! how many marks was that one again though? rest of the exam was pretty tidy though. also what order of letters did you get from the labeling of the brain?!

Labelling of the brain, I think the top one was D, then the other two were C and B, but can't remember which order. The visual centre was the higher one though, and auditory centre was lower one.
Reply 39
The bobo doll wasn't an investigation into gender development.

Labelling of the brain, I think the top one was D, then the other two were C and B, but can't remember which order. The visual centre was the higher one though, and auditory centre was lower one.

yeah i think i got the same actually!

Quick Reply